Volendam for kids?

Globeguy

We're thinking of a 10-day cruise on the Volendam with a 3 1/2 year old and a 1 year old.

We went on this ship two years ago when the three year old was 1. He loved it, but at the time we didn't take advantage of the kids programs. In fact, we don't even remember seeing any.

What are the kids programs like on this ship? If we're too nervous to leave him alone in the kids programs, can we attend with him? Are there any playgrounds/waterparks on this ship.

I read somewhere the HAL has improved kids programs. Any examples?

The cruise we're thinking of is 10 days long, so we just want to make sure he won't get crazy bored.

Thanks!

Three is the minimum age for Club Hal. http://www.hollandamerica.com/onboard/kidscruise Your kids could have a lot of fun on the cruise, but I think you'll be providing all the entertainment for the one year old and not much for the older child. My kids are older and I did not pay attention to the rules for younger children. I think the improvements to the kids' program was to put in the Loft and Oasis for the older kids. Sorry I am not more help.

Hi Globeguy:

Whogo is correct, the minimum age for Club HAL is age 3, and the children must be potty-trained. There is a "toddler" time available early in the afternoon, for children younger than 3, but parents must be with their children, and it's not a supervised or structured program. Basically, you and your children are allowed to use the Club HAL playroom while the counselors are at lunch.

There is a splash pool with a waterfall up on the Oasis deck, but that area is restricted for teens only. There are no dedicated water parks for young children on Holland America. I would recommend another cruise line, such as Disney or RCI, although I have no experience with either, so that doesn't lend much credence to my statement, now, does it? It's just that I've heard that those cruise lines provide better play spaces for the little ones.

Please see my response on another thread here for some answers to your questions. You probably don't want to "hear" me say this, but I think the very best vacation for a 3 and 1-year-old would be a beach vacation in some nice warm location. Others will disagree with me, but in all honesty I don't think a cruise ship is the best place for toddlers and wee ones. They are happiest with simple things, like sand and water, and the ability to run and splash. Parents with little ones on a cruise ship have to be constantly vigilant, and there isn't much in the way of "down" time or relaxation for them, unless they're fortunate enough to have grandparents or other adults/teens along who can assist you with child care. Just my two cents.:o

Karin

Thanks for the help so far.

I should have mentioned that we will be travelling with grandparents and aunties.

I'm not too worried about the youngest one -- at that age they're happy anywhere. More about what kind of activities there will be for the three year old.

Thanks for the help so far.

I should have mentioned that we will be travelling with grandparents and aunties.

I'm not too worried about the youngest one -- at that age they're happy anywhere. More about what kind of activities there will be for the three year old.

Globeguy:

Check out the link I gave you in my post. The thread is titled "Club HAL", and it's still here on the first page. I describe the 3-7 program in that link.

Karin

Have fun!:)

Archived