Green flash?

cactuslady

Who has seen the green flash from a HAL ship? Where were you?

We are cruising San Diego to Hawaii in December, and I fully expect a chance to see the green flash along the way (DH has never seen one, so of course doesn't believe it exists).

For those who are wondering, the green flash occurs, every once in a while and just for half a second, when the setting sun disappears below the horizon on a clear, clear day. You have to keep your eyes open, as it's kind of like spotting a leprechaun.

In October 2004, we were cruising the Gulf of St. Lawrence in the Maasdam and it had been a dreary day, but cleared up in the afternoon. We had a portside verandah, but the sun was setting on the starboard side, so we went to the stern to watch the sunset, something we love to do (in fact, I research sunset time before a cruise and choose a dining time so we won't miss it!).

Well, it was very clear in the western direction and right as the last part disappeared, there was this very striking green flash of light and we were stunned! We had thought we saw the green flash on a Cunard South America cruise in 1994 and indeed, the last part of the sun turned green as it set, but it didn't flash out at you nearly as much as it did in the St. Lawrence.

So, the green flash really exists and if you see it you will know!

Sadly, nobody else was out on deck where we were, to see it; although some people may have seen it from their cabins, but nobody, not even the captain or first officer, brought it up. later.

The green flash is so rare that very little research has been done on it. For one thing, you need a very clear atmosphere with no haze so that green light can get through even at sunset. That is a necessary but not sufficent condition in my view since that should cause the last piece of sun to go green, but not to make a flash. There must be some sort of lens effect from

various temperature layers in the atmosphere causing some focussing of light onto the viewer, sort of like a twinkling star perhaps.

Cold air upon warmer waters, such as in the St. Lawrence in fall, might cause this kind of instability. Maybe CC could aid scientific research by having a central thread where people on cruise ships around the world report on sightings of the green flash along with meteorological conditions at the time.

:D Catus Lady,

We took the Statendam (same cruise to Hawaii) in 1997. Saw the "Green Flash" on the return to the mainland!

BTW: We're leaving on the Statendam 3/2 for 20 nights Sydney to Hong Kong..our 1st time back on board since that cruise 10 years ago..who knows maybe we'll see the "Green Flash" again!!:D

This is the first I have heard of the green flash. I found this video on YouTube:

Unfortunately, this was such a wide-angle camera that it was difficult to see what was happening, although there may have been a green flash there. Another problem with video cameras is that they often tend to keep compensating the color balance and so might show a color shift as the intense light from the sun cuts off. It's going to be a very difficult phenomenon to capture on camera, There were some other Youtube videos labelled 'green flash' that clearly were in error.

I've only seen green flashes off of San Diego, where you have warm air over colder water (and a flat horizon all the way to Hawaii).

Here's a photo from NASA, showing a green flash in Finland:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap021110.html

Great picture! Notice that it is November in Finland, so they probably had cold air over warm water, like we had in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Do you see them from San Diego at any particular time of year?

I've only seen green flashes off of San Diego, where you have warm air over colder water (and a flat horizon all the way to Hawaii).

Here's a photo from NASA, showing a green flash in Finland:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap021110.html

The San Diego area is the only place we've seen it, also. I always look when we're in Hawaii, but there's always a cloud bank :(

We have looked at for it on many occasions when we have had a clear sky and been in both the southern and northern hemispheres but unfortunately we have not seen it as yet.

We have always believed that you see it when you are in the tropics and that is usually we have always started looking.

Still this year in June, we will be cruising from Tahiti enroute to Hawaii so who knows, we may strike it lucky.

Jennie

Who has seen the green flash from a HAL ship? Where were you?

We are cruising San Diego to Hawaii in December, and I fully expect a chance to see the green flash along the way (DH has never seen one, so of course doesn't believe it exists).

For those who are wondering, the green flash occurs, every once in a while and just for half a second, when the setting sun disappears below the horizon on a clear, clear day. You have to keep your eyes open, as it's kind of like spotting a leprechaun.

only saw it once on a cruise (Eastern Caribbean) but lived in Florida on the Gulf coast and got to see it over the Gulf several times. Awesome!!! it's special...worth waiting for! that's probably why we have seen it several times...worth investing the time to see it!

I've been fortunate to see the 'green flash' twice. The 1st time was on the Volendam leaving St. Thomas while on a 10 day cruise. The last time was on the Galaxy of the Seas (Celebrity) just off the coast of Costa Rica. I never could capture it with the camera! We're hoping to see it with our kids aboard the Noordam coming up in March.

The green flash is so rare that very little research has been done on it. For one thing, you need a very clear atmosphere with no haze so that green light can get through even at sunset. That is a necessary but not sufficent condition in my view since that should cause the last piece of sun to go green, but not to make a flash. There must be some sort of lens effect from

various temperature layers in the atmosphere causing some focussing of light onto the viewer, sort of like a twinkling star perhaps.

Here's what wikipedia says:

"Its explanation lies in refraction of light (as in a prism) in the atmosphere and is enhanced by atmospheric inversions. Whilst we would expect to see a blue light, the blue is dispersed (this is why the sky is blue) and only the green light remains visible."

And apparently there's also an even rarer blue flash possible.

We have been fortunate to have seen the green flash twice. Once in the Southern Caribbean and once in the Western. Both times we were on the Veendam.

Odd, as many times as we have been to Hawai'i we haven't seen one there.

Archived