Length of time it took to get passport

Sent them on 12/27 from Chicago. Received them (from New Hampshire) 6 weeks later. Just in case anyone was wondering how long their taking...

About the same for me. Mine was a renewal, and my wife's was a new application. Mine came about a week before hers. I believe on the app there was something about if you had a travel date plan, which we did. Not sure if that expedites or not.

I am sailing 8/12/07 from Port Canaveral on the Mariner of the Seas on the Western Caribbean.

Do we need a passport? I don't want to get it unless I need it because my family doesn't travel out of the country. So if I don't need it for this cruise I don't want to get it.

I am sailing 8/12/07 from Port Canaveral on the Mariner of the Seas on the Western Caribbean.

Do we need a passport? I don't want to get it unless I need it because my family doesn't travel out of the country. So if I don't need it for this cruise I don't want to get it.

You won't need it this year for cruising, but you will need one for future cruises after this year or for any other travel outside the US by other means.

If you plan on ever cruising again, I'd say bite the bullet and go ahead and get one. It makes checking in and getting off the ship faster. Passports are good for 10 years.

with the new passport laws now in effect, it is causing a bit of a backup. the sooner the better. you can always pay more to expediate and there are even some services that say you can get them in a week. i mailed mine in january for an april cruise. fingers crossed!

I just sent for mine on Feb. 3rd and paid extra (total was $157.00) so it

will come alot sooner. I am going on my cruise March 25th so hopefully it will get here on time. Daughter is a performer on AOS and I tried to get

my passport back in December, but my birth certificate didn't have the

"raised seal" so I had to send away for that first.

Although you are not required to have them for cruising until next year, I would strongly urge you to get them now. If you have a medical emergency, it will be very difficult to fly home to deal with it with =out a passport as this is now requied for flights. I for one do not wished to be forced into getting medical care in another country just because I do not have a passport. Some islands have adequate healthcare- some DO NOT. Course I am a nurse so this is something I think about.

Michelle

tracico, If your plans aren't until June, I'd not spend the extra to have them expedited. The fees for the passport are $97, plus the cost of your photos if you have them done by a service (AAA is great for this). The fee to expedite is $60 per application. So, do it now and you will have them in plenty of time before leaving.

If you have nothing on your record, don't have outstanding warrants (even traffic violations), don't owe back child support and your name is not close to a criminals name, the time to process is average. If you do run into some of these other problems, it could take longer or you can be denied a passport.

Of course, if you do have some of these issues, the authorities now have your current address to come get you :eek: :rolleyes:

Here is the site to find out all accurate, current information:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_832.html

Archived