Forts near the cruise ships?

galvezhome

Are the forts near where the ships dock? This will be our first time in san juan and plan on just doing some shopping and touring the forts? Are they near each other or do we need to get a taxi? Or is there something you would suggest we do, a san juan must see or do??? Thanks

Everything within OSJ, including the forts is within walking distance of the piers BUT it is all uphill from the pier. My recommendation is to take a taxi uphill to El Morro. Explore El Morro, then make your way back to the ship on foot through OSJ shopping and sightseeing as you go along.

what wrp says sounds like it's a good plan. We walked to San Cristobal, then El Morro (I'd say they're probably a half mile apart), and then shopped in OSJ for the rest of the day. Needless to say my dogs were barking ! The forts have a lot of uphill walking and stairs in them as well, so take that into consideration. Everything is certainly within walking distance, it just depends how much physical exertion you want to take :)

Did you check onto the ship before you toured osj and the forts? We will be in San Juan next December awaiting cruise on Serenade. Thanks, Kcnn

I came in a day ahead and stayed a day after the cruise. We toured after we debarked the ship at the end of the cruise.

Yes, you can get off the ship to tour after you've checked in.

If you are on the Serenade, you will be docked at the Pan Am Pier, which is across the harbor from Old San Juan. Be aware that no matter what you will need to take a taxi to OSJ from the pier.

Cheryl, where will you be docked? If you are docked in Old San Juan, I believe everything is within walking distance. Yes, it is uphill but wasn't that bad. We did take a taxi to Hotel Milano because of all the luggage though. The streets are cobblestone and narrow.

so how far is El Morro to walk it? we will "not" be docked at the pan am pier.

Sheffie: when looking at the map I also noticed a grey area all around old san juan, is this a walk way?

cheryl

That is a wall! It was part of the fortifications and is very impressive.

Can anyone tell me how much the taxi would be from the pier to El Morro. We'd like to go there with our daughters, but I think the walk would be too much for them--they're 6 and 4 yo. We'll be on the Noordam and I believe we'll be docking at OSJ.

Also, do you think we could walk from El Morro to San Cristobal or would it be better to taxi there as well? I think we could easily walk from San Cristobal back to the ship, doing some shopping along the way, of course. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me how much the taxi would be from the pier to El Morro. We'd like to go there with our daughters, but I think the walk would be too much for them--they're 6 and 4 yo. We'll be on the Noordam and I believe we'll be docking at OSJ.

Also, do you think we could walk from El Morro to San Cristobal or would it be better to taxi there as well? I think we could easily walk from San Cristobal back to the ship, doing some shopping along the way, of course. Thanks!

It was just a couple of dollars apiece to go up to El Morro.

Old San Juan has a FREE tour/shuttle bus that goes on continuous loop through downtown...with stops at the cruise terminal (pier 4), El Morro, San Cristobal, and lots of other great places. It's air conditioned and a nice little ride...especially if you can get the bus driver chatting (and if he speaks English).

ALSO Old San Juan is mostly cobble stone streets with narrow narrow sidewalks. You will want to wear adequate walking shoes!

We were there 3 days and 2 nights precruise..... we walked all over old San Juan ( day and night)

We only saw the shuttle once and we were walking faster than it was going..... lots of traffic.

Wear comfy shoes - take a taxi from the pier to fort and walk your way back down...... you'll waste alot of precious time with the "free" shuttle"

JMO

Archived