Journey Price Reduction

richsea

Bookings for this summer's Bermuda sailings must be soft. At the begining of January I priced a 2a Balcony for a July 28 sailing & it was $5232 including taxes & fees. Those same cabins are now $4732; a difference of $500. IMO, it's still way overpriced, but maybe this is just the start of price reductions.

I just cannot see how they can justify these high rates for a 7 day Bermuda cruise on Journey vs. the past rates on Zenith. Even without balconies, it's not like Z is a garbage scow!

Rich,

You can't compare what X offered on the Zenith and what they are offering on the Journey. They are offering two different products. Keep in mind the Journey and Quest are being marketed under the Xpedition brand. It's more of a luxury cruise than it is mass market. They will not be ships for the general public, but rather those looking for higher end cruises. Compare the prices of these ships to that of Oceania and Regent. They are not that out of place. They are not intended to be a direct replacement for the Zenith. Zenith is leaving and X is creating a new higher end product.

Bookings for this summer's Bermuda sailings must be soft. At the begining of January I priced a 2a Balcony for a July 28 sailing & it was $5232 including taxes & fees. Those same cabins are now $4732; a difference of $500. IMO, it's still way overpriced, but maybe this is just the start of price reductions.

I just cannot see how they can justify these high rates for a 7 day Bermuda cruise on Journey vs. the past rates on Zenith. Even without balconies, it's not like Z is a garbage scow!

The Journey pricing made us switch to another cruise line for our summer trip to Bermuda. I'm sure the Journey will be very nice, but the pricing is just too high for me.

Rich,

You can't compare what X offered on the Zenith and what they are offering on the Journey. They are offering two different products. Keep in mind the Journey and Quest are being marketed under the Xpedition brand. It's more of a luxury cruise than it is mass market. They will not be ships for the general public, but rather those looking for higher end cruises. Compare the prices of these ships to that of Oceania and Regent. They are not that out of place. They are not intended to be a direct replacement for the Zenith. Zenith is leaving and X is creating a new higher end product.

I am sure Journey will be an entirely different luxury cruise! (or at least I certainly hope so for the price and since it hasn't been tested yet to see where the kinks are to be ironed out.)

However, the main problem I see is many of those that have taken this itinerary live close enough to the Bayonne port and have taken this cruise repeatedly because of the X experience, BERMUDA intensive layover and price. This is a cruise many could take at the last minute. So, it will be interesting to see if us repeaters convert to Journey. I know I jumped ship literally and will be trying another line this summer.

I'm inclined to think that this will be a one year itinerary for Journey. The bulk of the Bermuda season is very popular with families, & it's obvious that Celebrity doesn't intend Journey to cater to families. The 2008 season will either have another Celebrity ship doing Bermuda, or Celebrity will simply not sail there any longer. I don't think any other X ships can dock in Hamilton, & certainly not St. George. Perhaps there will be another line taking the place of X in 2008. I hope so, since I don't think I'm ready to try NCL, but who knows.:confused:

The 2008 season will either have another Celebrity ship doing Bermuda, or Celebrity will simply not sail there any longer.

I agree, that's very likely. Journey will be doing more exotic stuff. Polynesia maybe, or Asia.

Also - I highly doubt that this summer's Bermuda cruises on Journey will be Xpeditions style. After all, 90% of the passengers booked the much lower Zenith prices. It is hightly likely that the Xpeditions touches (butler service for all cabins, etc.) won't be rolled out until after the Bermuda season.

Floris

Another point I think X forgets is that the first two years Oceania was in service the prices were much lower to give people a chance to sample the product..I think we should see prices coming down for a while on Journey and Quest..if the prices are close to O..try them if you like small ships!

Jan

Hi Floris

As you may recall, I think we'll both be on the 14-nt Journey 10/27/07 sailing from Cape Liberty to Bermuda and points in the southern Caribbean before returning to Miami. From all I have read in our Roll Call and elsewhere, the all-cabin butler service will be available from the get go this spring.

Have you heard anything to the contrary?

Best

Cabo

As you may recall, I think we'll both be on the 14-nt Journey 10/27/07 sailing from Cape Liberty to Bermuda and points in the southern Caribbean before returning to Miami. From all I have read in our Roll Call and elsewhere, the all-cabin butler service will be available from the get go this spring. Have you heard anything to the contrary?

Hi Cabo,

No, I have not. This particular cruise was being sold from the start at 'Journey prices'. But I am doubtful that Celebrity will roll out the full service on the 7-day Bermuda cruises that were sold for 90+% at the old 'Zenith prices'. Especially the ones early in the year (May, June, ...).

Floris

Hi, Floris and Cabo, your shipmate Nancy V, here!

Before we were offered the Repo, we had agreed to an earlier Journey Bermuda cruise. We were told that we would have butler service plus other enhanced amenities & services.

IMHO, all publicity has indicated these enhanced services will be available on the Journey from the get-go.

Of course, none of us will know 'til it starts sailing...

Nancy V.

I never really understood the higher priced Journey to Bermuda idea to begin with. Bermuda is a great destination but it's very expensive for a land based vacation. I think many people have cruised there because cruising was in fact a cheaper and essentially all inclusive way to visit Bermuda. With the prices they want for the Journey the price advantage to crusing is gone.

. So, it will be interesting to see if us repeaters convert to Journey. I know I jumped ship literally and will be trying another line this summer.

We've been to Bermuda twice on Zenith but we're not locals ... it takes us 8 hours to drive to Bayonne, or a quick flight if the price is right. I am anxious to try Journey and hope that pricing in May 2008 is along the lines of their fall 2007 pricing (I had considered this fall, but don't want to take a chance with the weather.)

I can certainly see why you jumped ship with the high summer prices!

I never really understood the higher priced Journey to Bermuda idea to begin with. Bermuda is a great destination but it's very expensive for a land based vacation. I think many people have cruised there because cruising was in fact a cheaper and essentially all inclusive way to visit Bermuda. With the prices they want for the Journey the price advantage to crusing is gone.

That was our reason for cruising there .... it was too good of a deal to pass up and much more economical than staying on land. When I saw Journey's prices, I thought that my next trip would be land based .... but I have to get my 'cruising fix', I am curious about Journey, and feel that if I pick the right time to go, pricing won't be 'over the top'.

Archived