Sapphire Princess ~ May 19 - 07

brendielee

We are booked on the Sapphire Princess for May 19.....Trying to find out what to expect during the month of May in Alaska....What is the best fishing tour? Should we book excursions now or wait until we are on the ship? Also was told that we can pick up the tours when we dock at quite a savings? We are soooo excited, this is our 25th wedding anniversary presents to ourselves! Also, we have guaranteed a category AD mini suite, any thoughts?

You can pick up tours at the dock once you arrive, but if you're there at 9am (for example) and you book a tour at the dock, the only available may not be until 11, 12, 1pm, etc... With port times shortening every year, I've been recommending this approach less and less.

You can find some great deals if you contact independant vendors and book directly. As a charter operator (fishing, whale watching, sightseeing, etc.) in Juneau, I can tell you that NOW is when everyone seems to be reserving trips. If you have a specific boat or captain you'd like to fish with, contact them immediately to reserve space. (In South East Alaska, a fishing boat can only fish 6 at a time legally. 6-12 spaces per day is all most of the charters have available.

Do a search in this forum for "fishing" or "salmon" and you'll get a bunch of recommendations for independant operators that people have been out with in the past. Also, http://www.traveljuneau.com is the Juneau Convention & Visitors Bureau... they've got listings for most of the charters and tours in Juneau.

You asked "what is the best fishing tour"...? Personally, when I'm out fishing for fun or food, I go to Sitka or Elfin Cove as my first choice. Ketchikan and Juneau have very good salmon fishing also, and run a very close second IMO.

Hope this helps...

-Case

I never recommend NOT having plans and reservations in place before you go. You are going to waste a lot of time trying to find something at the dock. UNLESS that is your "plan". Selection is extremely limited, good for catching a city bus tour etc.

i second all of the above, when more then 2 ships are in port on the same day..the area right near the ship can get confusing. much better to have the peace of mind of knowing your tours are waiting for you. just be sure to allow some time to roam.

Thanks for all the advise......Does anyone know if there IS fishing available in May? If so, where would the best place to fish be that time of year?

I did see one of the excursions to a fresh water fishing spot, but it said it wasn't 'open' at that time.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the advise......Does anyone know if there IS fishing available in May? If so, where would the best place to fish be that time of year?

I did see one of the excursions to a fresh water fishing spot, but it said it wasn't 'open' at that time.

Thanks again!

Short answer: YES! May is one of my favorite months to fish. I've caught King Salmon in every month of the year, but the weather, wildlife, and the "coming-out-of-hibernation" factor makes May a fantastic month to fish.

May is the beginning of King Salmon season if you're fishing salt water. I don't know what your specific itinerary is, but for early season Kings, Sitka and Ketchikan are my favorite choices. Juneau is a close second if we're having a good year, and Skagway is my last choice for fishing (except sockeye in July/August!)

If you've got a longer port time and want to fish for a full day, the halibut and ling cod fishing in Sitka is great that time of year. May is also a good time to think about a halibut trip out of Ketchikan, Icy Straight Point or Juneau.

You may find some winter steelhead in the rivers, but until the salmon begin running up river, many freshwater guides don't run trips.

-Case

We are on the same cruise celebrating our 30th anniversary. Here is the link to the roll call board for this cruise if you're interested in joining in.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=377468

We have arranged independent tours in Ketchikan taking Island Wings flight seeing to Misty Fjords; Juneau taking whale watching tour with Harv and Marv, Skagway renting a car and driving the Klondike Hwy to Emerald Lake.

We are also doing independent land tour between Seward and Denali with many independent tours.

Hope to see on board!

Larry

Archived