WOW...i didn't know cruising w/kids was a sore topic?!?!

flgatormom

"From the original post, the answer by Zeno and Catnip is a simple, yes. We, parents, should be prepared for stares/dirty looks/etc. Great, this helpful advice is well noted."

From me: glares are reserved for children running amok and even more so for their neglectful parents. I don't glare and am even inclined to smile at considerate, responsible parents and well-parented children. We have even CHOSEN to spend time with pleasant children and their parents (shared a taxi tour with a 10 year old and her parents - a great time was had by all - no glaring involved or required; hubby took 2 respectful, mature and FUN teens to the beach so their single parent mom could get in a little shopping (we spent most of that cruise hanging around with them because the whole family were great fun). I must confess that on cruise involving pre-teen boys without supervision running amok, terrorizing younger children at the pool and shoving old people aside, there was MUCH glaring involved and even some harsh words from my husband when the "Lord of the Flies" group nearly knocked an elderly gentleman down.

There are people who miss "the golden age" of cruising, when real cruises lasted at least 30 days, children ate in the cabin before the main dinner (which was adults only), and almost nobody could afford it. Those people should find a different line than Carnival, Disney, NCL, Princess, RCCL, or any others that provide services specifically for children. And that would now include Cunard, because the QEII and QM both have nurseries for very young children.

When we were on the AOS, we did see a lot of children on their own - at the ice cream machine in the Promenade, at Johnny Rockets, at the video games, on the basketball court, and yes in the elevators, but they were always on their way somewhere, and were polite when we gave them our floor number. Even though we don't have any children, my DH and I still included Adventure Ocean in our tour of the ship, and we loved the artwork, and all the amenities that are provided for the kids. (BTW, Sharon, my niece and nephew loved their time at Adventure Ocean when they were on the Rhapsody.) As far as I am concerned, travelling with kids is the best way for them to get learn about other people, which can only help them become better adults.

There will always be negative people, but that doesn't mean we have to be.

just a side note, b/c i don't really want to get into this whole thing, b/c it aggravates me. but i saw Royal Caribbean advertised in my local parenting guide newspaper as a "wonderful family vacation". hmmm.....

FLGATORMOM,

Take your children on your cuise and have a wonderful time. My hubby and I cruise a couple of times a year. We find most kids to be quite well behaved. We enjoy the opportunity to talk them and their parents. We don't live near our grandkids so do like having the young ones around. Sure there are some rude ones but that goes for adults too. You are on vacation, have fun.

I'm on here trying to get some info on taking our 2 granddaughters cruising. It's a big responsibility but I think we are up for it. The girls are 11 and 12. Wish us luck,

I have a five year old son who has cruised 3 times. The first cruise was when he was only 11 months old. Although that wasn't the most relaxing vacation we've ever had, we enjoyed it immensely and most of the other passengers loved having a baby on board (there were only 3 on the ship that young).

Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy a vacation with your family because there is something for everyone to do and still enjoy being together at the same time. As much as a "romantic get-away" with my husband sounds appealing, there is no way in the world I would do it right not without my son. Maybe when he gets a little older. He had a blast at Camp Carnival during the last cruise, and we enjoyed doing things on our own while he was there. Otherwise, we enjoyed meals together and afternoons at the pool.

As for unruly unbehaved kids, they can be found almost anywhere you go - whether it be a restaurant, mall, vacation, whatever. We just make the best of it and try not to let it ruin our time. All kids have their moments . . . .

Libby

I came across this post on another thread today.... very suprised to hear the anger here. (see below)

We were all kids once.

May we all try and be a little more tolerant of each other.

Or take *****! :) SMILE!

Kelly

Originally Posted by bdmarine

I think they should charge more for two year olds than for adult passengers. I didn't pay my hard earned money for a vacation to be tripping over some mewling baby. I don't appreciate the screaming and food throwing at meals. I don't appreciate the spice they add to the swimming pool.

I wonder sometimes why people think their children are some kind of gift to the world, a gift that I have to support with my tax dollars and my forebearance for the chaos they inject into my life. Pay for your own children and get your hands out of my pocket.

Whoa! That was quite a comment you found there, Kelly! :eek: I hope bdmarine finds a cruiseline that fits his/her needs. (Those comments about tax dollars seem rather absurd. :confused: I know that my tax dollars that pay for a better school district certainly improve the resale value of my home. ) There are so many places on a ship to go to avoid children that this makes no sense to me.

But there's at least one sour puss in every crowd. That's how we learn to appreciate the good people in the world.

I AM PROUD TO BE AN AUNT!!!! I'd rather talk to a happy 2-year-old any day over spending time with a snooty so-and-so.

I have two children, both fairly young, and we take them with us on our cruises and thoroughly enjoy it. It's a perfect vacation because we spend time together when we'd like, and when we're all looking to do different things, we're able to do that as well without a lot of arguing (my kids) and crying (us!).

Cruising with children is not a sore topic. The cruiselines WANT families, and continue to market to families. Many of us read and post to this board, and others throughout Cruise Critic, and whenever the word "child" or "children" come up in a thread, we are reminded to "watch our kids" and not allow them to run amuck and ruin other people's vacations. Or, we're reminded that our kids are not welcome in their pools if they are wearing diapers of any kind, regardless of the topic at hand.

What I find most interesting about this whole topic is that by and large, *most* of the questions, subjects, threads about children on Cruise Critic are typically children under the age of maybe 10 or so. This isn't an absolute...but it does appear that *most* of the questions about kids are from parents with much younger kids. It would seem that by the time the kids hit 10, either the parents have the whole cruising thing figured out - or they don't need to know which swim diapers work best on their 10 year old. *chuckles* When was the last time that any of you Moms out there allowed your 7 year old out after midnight unattended?

So, my POINT is that although I do understand the trials and tribulations of trying to relax with kids occupying space within your same general vicinity - is it really, TRULY necessary to remind us to watch our 5 and 7 year olds (or even 2 year olds for that matter) so that they aren't out late bothering you?I'm using that particular complaint as the example because a good 7 out of 10 threads that contain complaints use that one as the reason why kids shouldn't be allowed on the ships. The other 3 are regarding diapers and the pool - and sense the ship itself has rules regarding that, I see no point in continuing to brow beat people.

Seriously - it's not as though we can convince one another that we're right or wrong - but at least attempt to stick to the topic at hand and realize that if you're in a thread regarding a 5 year old, it's probably not going to go over well if you bust in and say something about how sick you are of seeing kids out at night unattended - considering that complaint doesn't pertain to a 5 year old. Just a thought.

Seriously - it's not as though we can convince one another that we're right or wrong - but at least attempt to stick to the topic at hand and realize that if you're in a thread regarding a 5 year old, it's probably not going to go over well if you bust in and say something about how sick you are of seeing kids out at night unattended - considering that complaint doesn't pertain to a 5 year old. Just a thought.

Ain't it the truth though?

Some people just like to kvetch, they obviously enjoy beating dead horses and telling other people how to parent. Ah well, you just have to laugh, you know you aren't paying attention to them, especially when most of them don't even have children ;) !

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, this is the first time I've been to the family cruising threads and it so comforting to read some of these. You can actually talk about kids without holding your breath for the reply. We are going on our 1st cruise this fall with our two little guys aged 2 and 5. We are all very excited. Has anyone rented vehicles or traveled in vehicles during tours. Have you taken car seats? Maybe the better question is, Are there seat belts?:confused:

My youngest was just 2 when she went on her first cruise, our kids are now 5 and 7. We have NEVER gotten rude stares or nasty remarks because we brought our children along. But our children behaved themselves, so that may be why. Here at CC, there are some people that have had some bad experiences with unruly wild kids on board the cruise ship they were on. Because of those experiences they believe that (and I quote) "cruising is not for kids.":mad: They strongly discourage any parent from bringing their kids along on the cruise because of their experiences. Many of them "flame" any parents that talk about bringing young ones on a cruise. :( It's ridiculous to try and dissuade parents from bringing children along. Especially when cruising is all about families and kids.:)

How many vacation places do you know of that offers free child care? What if that free child care includes the use of gameboys and computers? What if they also offer to paint your children's faces like pirates and take them on treasure hunts? Or what if they teach them how to make their own rubber balls? And what if they reassure you that only people with a degree in education will be supervising your children? What parent could pass that up? The cruise lines are doing everything in their power to get families with their children to cruise. Those kids areas are pretty elaborate. And almost every cruise ship has one. These cruise lines shell out a lot of money for child care professionals, an elaborate kids area, computers, gameboys, and lots of toys to play with. Anyone who says that "cruising is not for kids" needs to have their heads examined. The cruise lines make sure that families with kids are attracted to the cruise lines. They make the cruises as "kid friendly" as possible.

So before you "flame" someone for taking their kids on a cruise, just realize that it's pointless. The cruise lines make themselves too attractive to families and kids for them to pass it up. So instead of "flaming," try to be constructive and make helpful comments and suggestions. I think the cruise lines should not be letting young kids sign themselves in and out of the kids program. It's one of the reasons some of the young ones can be found roaming the hallways. I also think if the cruise lines put an employee in the elevators, there would be less kids in there tampering with them. Those are just a couple of things that I think could help improve the situation with unruly kids. As to how parents can improve things, set the ground rules before you ever get on the ship. Let the kids know what they should and should not do. I make a list of rules for my kids before every cruise. We go over it and what the consequences are if they disobey. My kids biggest problem is running. But getting their pool priveleges taken away has helped to curb that.

So go ahead and have a great cruise with your children. The cruise lines welcome families with children with open arms. And there aren't a lot of rude stares or nasty remarks. Not unless you or your children are being very bad. And that can happen anywhere. We have cruised with our children at several different times of the year and it has always been a very pleasant experience for all of us. My kids love to cruise! So go out and enjoy yourself and don't worry about what has been said. Cruising IS for kids.:D

Archived