Recs for Molokini and for Kona

jerseyjk

So I'm now at the sub-60 day mark from my Pride of Aloha cruise and planning goes into hyper-drive. (DW is ready to toss me out of the house if I ask her for another opinion). I already have a Kauai helicopter tour booked and probably settled on tubing the ditch there as well, decided to do the drive to Hana. I can't go to Hawaii without seeing VNP so Hilo is settled. Rental cars are already booked in all three of these places. What's left but one day in Maui and the stop in Kona? Which leads me to my questions ...

I'm looking for some recommendations for a tour / boat operator to use to grab a snorkel boat to Molokini and perhaps some sea caves around south Maui. (Yes I know Turtle Town is not a "real" place) I'll have a car so getting to wherever the operator leaves from is not a problem. I was eyeing the Four Winds II initially. If you have any experience with them or any other operators your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Also I think we'd like to do some snorkelling at our Kona stop. Can anyone recommend a snorkel spot reachable from Kona? Preferably wade-in with a beach to lounge on. Walking distance from the tender location would just be too much to ask, but I'll ask if it's possible anyway. Or is a rental car a necessity to snorkel and beach it in Kona?

Also I think we'd like to do some snorkelling at our Kona stop. Can anyone recommend a snorkel spot reachable from Kona? Preferably wade-in with a beach to lounge on. Walking distance from the tender location would just be too much to ask, but I'll ask if it's possible anyway. Or is a rental car a necessity to snorkel and beach it in Kona?

We have stayed several times in Waikola, (A drive of 20-25 minutes on Hwy 19) there is a wonderfull public beach with parking and very good snorkeling areas on the left side of the beach. (A 5-10 minute walk over Lava and beach to the point. There are several large Sea Turtles that nest in this area. A walk to the right along the beach will bring you to the hilton.

beach.anae_02.jpg

http://www.hawaiioceansports.com/

Click to Enlarge

2734818070053092325DpTBPr_th.jpg

If you rent a car, then you could go to Kahalu'u and Honaunau, both south of Kona. You could also go north to Mauna Kea, Hapuna, Waialea, and/or 'Anaeho'omalu Bay (also called A-Bay, for obvious reasons). All of these beaches have public access and swimming/snorkeling (some better than others, but all beautiful beaches). As always, conditions change day to day.

You cannot drive to Kealakekua Bay to snorkel. There is a hot, tiring 2 mile long hiking trail (uphill all the way back), but it has been closed since the earthquake last fall. If you want to snorkel at K-Bay, you'll need to take an excursion boat/zodiac (commerical or through the ship), take a kayak excursion, or rent kayaks. Or I suppose you could go down to the little tiny beach area on the south end of the bay and swim about 1 mile over to where the good snorkeling is. (No thanks.) In any case, there is no beach and nowhere to pull up a kayak, so you have to snorkel right off the kayak.

So many choices, so little time...

beachchick

Hello, Walter - fancy running into you here. IMO the best place to snorkle if you have a car is to drive to the City of Refuge. Bring along a picnic lunch and make a day of it. The park is interesting to look at, the place has a reputation of being a great beachcombing spot and the snorkling is probably the best we've seen in over 35 trips to Kona. Just was the park ranger where the good spot is. There are also facilities for showering and changing. We usually stay at the Marriots at Anaeho'imalu Bay, but the snorkling is much better at Refuge (and usually less crowded). More turtles too!

As for Molokini - I'd chuck that and just check out Kalapani. There is some good snorkling just off shore by the Sheraton. Be careful around sea caves, even if you are rated for them. I had a friend dive one and it looked like she survived a five-car crash when she came out of it. Just a word of warning.

Charlie

We did the Captain Zodiac snorkeling excursion last month in Kona. We went to Kealakekua Bay....I would def recommend it. We also "played" with a pod of dolphins and saw a bunch on sea caves on the way back. The Zodiac ride was very exciting.

Wow ... now I'm really confused. It'll take a bit to digest all this (careful what you ask for I guess).

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm actually on the fence about Molokini. It just seems to be one of those places you could say "I've been there, done that" ... Looks good on the resume I guess you'd say.

It's probably a case of being careful what you ask for. :D

Seriously, Molokini can be great is it's a calm sunny day, but we went when it was overcast and choppy and nearly everyone on the boat got horrifically sick, inlcuding Chris - a first for him. I was on Mecclazine because I knew I'd get sick, so I was fine, but even the crew was looking a little green. They finally headed out and and we ended up snorkeling at Honolua Bay. So, you might have a really great time there - just be prepared!

Charlie

Hello, Walter - fancy running into you here. IMO the best place to snorkle if you have a car is to drive to the City of Refuge. Bring along a picnic lunch and make a day of it. The park is interesting to look at, the place has a reputation of being a great beachcombing spot and the snorkling is probably the best we've seen in over 35 trips to Kona. Just was the park ranger where the good spot is. There are also facilities for showering and changing. We usually stay at the Marriots at Anaeho'imalu Bay, but the snorkling is much better at Refuge (and usually less crowded). More turtles too!

As for Molokini - I'd chuck that and just check out Kalapani. There is some good snorkling just off shore by the Sheraton. Be careful around sea caves, even if you are rated for them. I had a friend dive one and it looked like she survived a five-car crash when she came out of it. Just a word of warning.

Charlie

I'm not sure I agree with this. Molokini may not be the absolute best snorkeling, but it can be very good. A morning excursion on a clear day with calm waters makes for excellent snorkeling, and the ride out it pretty. OTOH, we've snorkeled at Black Rock (and elsewhere) on "iffy" days where the conditions (choppy, rought water; overcast; etc.) have been lousy--and probably would have been just as lousy out at Molokini.

However, I agree that going on your own is an excellent alternative. We do it all the time. Black Rock in front of the Sheraton is consistently good, and you've got all of Ka'anapali Beach to play on. (Charlie: I don't usually correct spelling of any kind, not the least of which reason being that mine can be so bad. But in this case, I feel I must: It is Ka'anapali you are referencing. Just so there's no confusion.) We also like Honolua Marine Preserve/Slaughterhouse, Kapalua (sometimes), Airport Beach, and have recently discovered how good some of the beaches down in Wailea and Makena are--not Kihei, we don't care for the area or the snorkeling there.

Interesting about the sea caves (not that it will ever be an issue for us). That's great information to have out there.

The only thing I'd add for Place of Refuge/Honaunau is that beginners need to be careful where they enter. Our favorite spot has a lava shelf entry that can be tricky. I agree that it's one of the best overall areas.

beachchick

Knew I should have looked that up, Beachchick. Thanks for catching that. I agree that Molokini can be good, it just wasn't for us and we had a week to mess with. For a one-day shot, I thought it would be easier to go off on your own.

When we were at the City of Refuge, the good snorkeling was off the boat ramp, so you could just walk in, although you had to be wary of frisky Irish Setters :D . Another word of advice, if you go here, bring along a hat and sun screen as you can pick up a sun stroke very easily here, especially if you are beach combing and not paying attention to things.

Charlie

Oh yeah, the boat ramp is really good and easy entry. (We've not had to dodge frisky Irish Setters though. That must have been quite an adventure.)

I can't agrue with your logic that when you've got only one day, it can be best to leave your options open rather than locking yourself into an excursion.

beachchick

Archived