"designer bags" Nassau Straw Market

sbeth

Can anyone tell me about the quality of these "designer" bags? Usually the ones I see in NY (or even in Italy for that matter) are plastic and look really fake. Are these ones leather? How good are they? Are there any laws against purchasing them? Thank you!

Sbeth,

they are very similar to the ones you see in NY and yes just like in NY some of them are really bad knock offs you just have to shop around. The prices in the Bahamas are much more than in NY, although they were willing to except my haggling, after shopping in China Town in NY, the Bahamas prices just couldn't compare IMHO. I couldn't tell that they were any laws against purchasing them its under a big tent right in the open, and they weren't hiding the "designer" bags.

Hope this helps

I purchased a Fendi bag at the straw market in Nassau on Dec. 25, 2004 for $40.00, the asking price was $100.00. I only purchased it because the Fendi store on Bay and Charlotte Streets was closed for Christmas and wanted a bag to just carry when doing errands. My husband bought me a checkbook wallet from the Fendi store on our first Eastern Caribbean cruise in 2002. I've found more selection of handbags on the internet more so than what I saw in the store. I've seen the imitation bags in NYC and needless to say, my cousin purchased one and the lining on the inside was torn after she carried the bag about three times. The bag I bought from the straw market in Nassau still looks fairly new.

I purchased a Fendi bag at the straw market in Nassau on Dec. 25, 2004 for $40.00, the asking price was $100.00. I only purchased it because the Fendi store on Bay and Charlotte Streets was closed for Christmas and wanted a bag to just carry when doing errands. My husband bought me a checkbook wallet from the Fendi store on our first Eastern Caribbean cruise in 2002. I've found more selection of handbags on the internet more so than what I saw in the store. I've seen the imitation bags in NYC and needless to say, my cousin purchased one and the lining on the inside was torn after she carried the bag about three times. The bag I bought from the straw market in Nassau still looks fairly new.

Archived