Best Time of Year for Hawaii

jo-v

Really, it's hard to say exactly, but the summer months will have less rain and/or storms than the winter months. The temperatures are pretty moderate all year round, but I'd think you'd find smoother seas in the summer. Might want to post this over on the Ports of Call (Hawai'i) board if you haven't yet.

Charlie

A friend of mine used to go to Hawaii every March for almost every year of her life (lucky girl, right?). Last year, she went in October, and she said that the weather was much warmer and nicer but with fewer crowds. (Possibly a 1-time occurrence, though? I'm not a Hawaii expert). She wasn't cruising, though... just FYI. :)

January may not be the best month. On Island Princes 15 day, we missed two ports, had three days rough seas approaching, and a norovirus outbreak. "Hope" we make it back to L-A Satuday.

Actually, weather and seas in Hawaii are usually unpredictable. i.e, hurricanes in the summer have been known. Spring and fall are usually good.

We have found that October was the best month to sail to Hawaii. Seas seemed to be calmer, weather was always great and the water temps also seemed the warmest that time of the year.

Tried it once in the spring and again in the winter and it was not anywhere near as nice. Rough seas, lots of rain, etc.

We were in Hawaii this past August on NCL's Pride of America. There was only 1 night that we had rough seas and experienced just 1 rain day with on and off light rain! The rain day worked out well though because it was the day we went to Volcano National Park and the rain made the steam from the volcanoes very noticible. It was actually "cooler" in Hawaii than it was in hot and humid Ohio in August! A co-worker just returned from NCL's Pride of Hawaii in late January and she said it was windy but sunny.

I agree with Toto. We went in October and it was wonderful. The seas were just a tad rough the first night after leaving California but were fine the rest of the way. Sometimes I forgot I was on a ship when I got up in the morning, that's how calm it was. It rained on us briefly when we were in the Iao Valley for an excursion but that was all the rain we got. I never needed a sweatshirt the whole cruise until the last two days. Before then my clothing of choice during the day was a tank top and shorts and lots of sunscreen.

How about early May?

I would expect cool temps and rougher seas the end of April, early May. We did this once the end of April, and unless we are just very unlucky, that is what we found. We hadn't expected the temps to be that cool, and wished we had packed warmer clothing for the first and last couple of days onboard the ship.

We went on the RT out of LA a year ago in December. The seas were rough for the first couple of days, but fine the rest of the cruise. Weather wise, in the 60s the first couple of days, high 70s to low 80s with sunny to partly sunny days while in Hawaii with no rain at all. But we had to miss Kona because of high waves. It was warm the rest of the time, including back in LA.

Archived