What I've learned (so far)

Mrs. Connie

I haven't been on a cruise yet. I'm looking forward to the Holiday 6 months from now. I'm studying up to get a clue before I go.

From what I have gathered, in my (tip of the iceberg) pre-cruise education, Carnival is a fun line. It's family-friendly, appeals to a young crowd, and the weekend cruises are known for being populated with obnoxious drunks. Ours not being a weekend, nor spring break week, I expect to meet some lovely, fun people. If they all shop at Walmart, great, that's one more thing we have in common. The snobs sail on Princess or Celebrity, or a few other ship lines that I haven't heard about. I'm glad that Carnival is the line that will cruise out of Mobile.

Some have said it's garish and Las Vegas-like, but since I've never been to Vegas, why do I care? Just saves me the trip. Neon won't bother me. Discos don't bother me, but I understand that the band by the pool completely sucks, and they're too loud. (look for me in the piano bar.)

I should pack a shoe bag, post it notes, and clothespins. And money. Lots. Beer is cheaper in buckets, and foo foo drinks of the day should be ordered at the bar.

Did I leave anything out?

Connie

you have gotten a GREAT education so far! stay tuned and you will have your BS in cruisology in no time! Enjoy that first cruise! Go ahead and buy the expensive photos...you will love looking at them later as you await your next cruise!

If you are a coffee drinker may I suggest an insulated mug for your first cup. I personally like to hit the Lido deck early, get my coffee in my insulated mug and take a stroll while the ship is nice and quiet. I have also used same mug, after I rinsed it out, to fill with ice and water or lemonade for poolside use.

Recently took a CTN with my DD out of NYC and had been warned about the party crowd! Never did see them. What we did see was a large group of people having good clean fun. They weren't afraid to laugh out loud and let their "happy faces" show, but we didn't see a thing we found objectionable. I think you will have a wonderful time and fit right in with the group. Enjoy. :D

Mrs. Connie,

You sound like a fun person! Welcome to the boards!!

You are going to love Carnival...I can tell by your great attitude!! :D

Hang around, you'll learn a lot (some stuff you may not even want to know :eek: ), you may get irritated and even p*ssed at times, but you'll spend a lot of time laughing. It's always fun here no matter what.

Hi Connie. You've got a pretty good handle on things so far. The Holiday is my favorite ship. As far as the 'garish' look? - I think of it more as fun colors!

In all my cruises, I can truthfully say I've seen ONE obnoxious drunk that two crew members and the guy's companion took to his cabin, as he couldn't walk straight. That was over 20 years ago. The only 'loud' area of the ship (to me) is when they have the pool games, which I just quickly walk past to get to a quieter area aft. They get pretty loud there, but it doesn't bother me - they're just having fun.

The 'band' on the Lido Deck is not a band; it's just "Roger". (At least on my three Holiday cruises.) I like Roger. He really works up a sweat, smiling all the while - with his steel drums and synchrodized background music. He doesn't play all day - just a few times every day. His island sound gets everybody in a festive mood!

Ziplok bags! My staples for a cruise. I take some in every size, even the 2-gallon. Amazing how they come in handy so often.

Although I'll be on the Sensation for my next cruise (just for a change), I WILL be on the Holiday again one day!

Your attitude is great. No doubt you'll have a wonderful HOLIDAY!:)

Bring a fan, especially if you have a balcony cabin. The first few hours of the voyage or after your door has been open alot you'll need to circulate the air.

I have not done this yet but decided on our last cruise that it was a must.

Otherwise I agree with the above, I think you have a pretty realistic picture of what to expect.

That's important too.

Often I read of first-timers who had a lousy time because it "just wasn't what they expected" . You're right on target and your good attitude will go a long way if an when any of the normal little things that can happen in any vacation come into he picture.

Here's some more misconceptions you need to clear out of your head, replaced by more stuff like you noted above:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/misconceptions

Zip locs...Packing wet bathing suits and dirty clothes, leftovers from room service, to keep track of S & S receipts, to keep things dry in a beach bag, and the list could go on and on. I bring 10 or so and end up using them all.

Zip lock baggies serve the purpose of ordering room service for shore excursions or to bring food to take on the plane home with you. I have taken a sandwich=fruit and brownies since my flight is sooo late. (ever see the cost of a airport burger?

Cotton: I look forward to your review of the Sensation. For someone who loves the Holiday I cant wait to see how it compares to the Sensation

The two gallon bags are great to pack with. I am sure you have seen ads on tv for the ones that large items can be packed into them. This is just a cheaper version of the same. I take a complete outfit, including underwear, and put it into one bag. It makes it easier to find, keeps the wrinkles out and makes packing easier.

Have a wonderful cruise. IMHO I think the people who complain about cruises, will look for something negative in all things.

Go enjoy!!

After a few foo foo drinks, you'll be singing along with the poolside band! :D

I love that music - it's so tropical!!

Plastic bags to take extra dry clothes or a sweat shirt (cave tubing) for water activities plus pack the kids/DH ;) entire outfits for each day and they will be dressed long before anyone else.

Put your documents and itinerary, boarding pass, insurance docs etc in clear page covers/ report covers in a slim binder, everything will be organized and readily accessible. Put contact numbers everwhere in case you lose these - but please don't lose them.

Bring swimsuits in a carry on and an extra change of clothes for embarkment in case your luggage is late in arriving.

Nightlight or you'll have to leave the bathroom door cracked , bring wrinkle release spray and steam your clothes while you shower. Alarm clock or Ask for a wake up call because cabins are so dark. Two way radios, sunscreen like crazy or all of your first days on the cruise will be an advertisement for Red Lobster. Plus your formal pictures will not turn out because you'll be so red!

These are some things helped - Karrie

Carnival Elation 8/15/04

RCCL Grandeur of the Sea 02

RCCL Song of Norway 92

RCCL Song of America 88

Archived