Holiday Inn, Galveston

breanne$5

I would go with HI..The HAwthorne has a weird sorted history..

It started out as the Victorian Condotel..A GREAT place,great suites and facilities...Spent a lot of time there in the mid to late 80s.early 90's....Somewhere a long the way,the Victorian became a kind of time share thing..or...where individuals rented from individual owners (although it still was managed by Victorian)...But maintance suffered,and service was horrible.....Somewhere later,it all kind of divided,and part of it became the Hawthorne...

I have not stayed there personally since 2001 and it was horrible....

And has been reported that way a lot since.

I have talked to a couple of folks,and read some positive reports lately,so hopefully they are getting their act back together..

Unless you just need the suite set up....I would probalby go for the HI...

If you do decide to take the Hawthorne,...Please please..(and the person who said they were booked) please post us a review so we can have some updated info!

I just put our group's rooms on hold yesterday and was researching places to stay. I think I am going with HI too because we won't have to rent cars to get around. We stayed at the HI in Miami before our last cruise (across from Bayside Market) and it wasn't four star luxury but if you go with an open mind, it usually tends to work out perfectly for a trip like this. After all, you want to save your money for all those excursions and that hefty bar tab! ;)

We are staying at the HI on 2/23 and got a rate of 134.00 night--AAA, but their early booking rate was 142.00. not a huge difference, and if you book online with them, they guarantee the lowest rate and if you find it lower, they refund the difference. Go to ichotels.com, they are part of the intercontinental hotel group.

Keep in mind there are 2 holiday inns in galveston. Holiday Inn Sunspree resort and Holiday Inn on the Beach. Sunspree tends to be cheaper than the HI, but it was sold out the night we were looking. HI seems like a nice hotel in the San Luis Resort area.

Yes, I did see that there were two, but the HI on the Beach is within walking distance of the Strand and some other areas so that is probably why it is a little more expensive too. Please let us know how you liked the hotel. Thanks!

HI on the Beach is not within walking distance of the strand. It is close to the San Luis Resort and the Hilton on the Seawall. The only hotels within walking distance of the strand are the Tremont and the Harbor House. The HI on the Beach, Hilton, and San Luis are all nice hotels as are the Tremont and Harbor House.

nonna5 - Thanks for that info. I just pulled the info I read again and I see that it is a little misleading. I took it to mean it was within walking distance because of the way it was worded. Does this mean we will still have to rent a car to get around?

I would go with HI..The HAwthorne has a weird sorted history..

It started out as the Victorian Condotel..A GREAT place,great suites and facilities...Spent a lot of time there in the mid to late 80s.early 90's....Somewhere a long the way,the Victorian became a kind of time share thing..or...where individuals rented from individual owners (although it still was managed by Victorian)...But maintance suffered,and service was horrible.....Somewhere later,it all kind of divided,and part of it became the Hawthorne...

I have not stayed there personally since 2001 and it was horrible....

And has been reported that way a lot since.

I have talked to a couple of folks,and read some positive reports lately,so hopefully they are getting their act back together..

Unless you just need the suite set up....I would probalby go for the HI...

If you do decide to take the Hawthorne,...Please please..(and the person who said they were booked) please post us a review so we can have some updated info!

I will post a reveiw of the Hawthore when I get back. We chose the Hawthorn because it is only 125.00 a night and we have 5 people so we needed the extra bed in the suite. THe HI was 75.00 a night more which is crazy to me but we have been in Galveston before and it is beautiful from the street.

breanne - Check with the HI to see if they have shuttle to the Strand area. Also I believe they have tourist buses, I am not sure it they run all year or only during the summer. You will be able to walk to many places on the Seawall from the HI. Go on galveston.com it also has lots of info that will be helpful to you. If you have any other questions I will try to answer them. Hope you have a great time in Galveston and on your cruise.

No, I reserved our room. But I called the hotel, because I wanted to know if there were stores near the hotel. They told me they offered a free shuttle service if you need to go somewhere, I can't remember the hours it runs.

Oh ok, I didn't know that about the shuttle.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just on HI's website and only Holiday Inn on the Beach has shuttle service to the port. The other HI (Sunspree resort) has cancelled service to the port from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Just wanted to let everyone know.:)

Archived