Bought a new dress - need opinions

Gingee

Okay, I did not need a new dress for the cruise but I couldn't pass it up. It is a size larger than I wear but it was a good deal. Regularly $70 and I paid $12. Okay, I bring it home to get an opinion on it for the cruise and both my son and daughter like it better than my "mother of the bride dress" that I am wearing in April for her wedding. The cruise is in May. Now opinions please. Am I too old to wear this dress? Is it too fancy or sexy for a mother of the bride dress to wear in my daughters' wedding?

Thanks

Truth please.

455906860_AngDress077.jpg.e40e6e72aa921a73835ab40513db6ff5.jpg

1063431486_AngDress083.jpg.5ef8a40552a1da04b8286c692bee11e3.jpg

I love the dress. At that price you could NOT leave it behind. I don't know what you already have for the wedding, but....what about wearing the other one for the ceremony and this one afterwards?

I don't know what you'll end up deciding, but this is a great cruise dress!

I can't see the picture well enough to really tell, but it LOOKS really pretty! If your son and daughter think it's age appropriate, I think they'd be better judges of that than I (at age 40 and wondering the same things about my own wardrobe). As for your daughter's wedding, ask her what her opinion is. I would think that maybe the only consideration is the open neckline, and you can always wear a shrug or wrap or jacket. BTW, it's a GORGEOUS color!

You're not too old, the dress is very young. Maybe it's the overlay? I'm not sure. I'd say it to wear on the cruise but I think I would opt for something different for the wedding. Definitely see how much it will be to it tailored- you may find with that cost, the dress ceases to be a bargain. You have a terrific figure- don't hide it in a dress one size too big.

Someone mentioned the color. It is kind of a teal with sparkles throughout and a sparkly broach. My husband and daughter think it is more colorful on me that the rose color dress I picked before. I don't know.

I love the color and think it looks great on you. I don't think you're at all too old for it. If you click on the picture itself, you will be able to get a larger view. It's a great buy.

Now for the however. The dress looks more appropriate for the rehearsal dinner, it's a bit prom looking, not mother of the bride. I've gone prom dress buying with my daughter several times (mostly for cruise formal night dresses) and I see a lot of dresses similar to what you have posted.

So, wear it to formal night on a ship and feel beautiful, but I think the dress you've already pictured before is more appropriate for MOB. I've done this myself before, bought one dress and then another for the same event, I've always ended up wearing the first choice.

You're a beautiful woman. If you can manage it (time + $) get your hair styled in an updo and your makeup done for the wedding. I'm sure you will sparkle.

Someone mentioned the color. It is kind of a teal with sparkles throughout and a sparkly broach. My husband and daughter think it is more colorful on me that the rose color dress I picked before. I don't know.

I like it//I'm 62 and dress way cool, sexy, pretty etc..you go girl

Wear what you feel comfortable in and what your daughter thinks looks best. It has nothing to do with age, mother of bride status, etc.

I was mother of the groom in Dec at my son's wedding and I do not consider myself to be old, so there was no way I was even thinking about wearing an old lady fuddy duddy dress they call "mother of..." dresses!! No way!

My dress may have been considered "sexy" by some, by no means rique (below the knee, but open back and some sparkle)...very, very classy, not prom-ish. I had a gorgeous updo done (I would suggest that too! It looks so glam!!). I just wish I could have paid $12!!

Go for what your family thinks and if it will coordinate with the wedding party and have a blast!!

The dress, while it looks great on you and was a steal, isn't really a MOB dress in most cases. Now, if your daughter thinks it would be perfect for you in her wedding, that's her call. I tend to think it's too bling-y for MOB.

But as others have said, I think it's perfect for a rehearsal dinner (if it's a dressy one) or on a cruise. And the color is great on you BTW.

I absolutely refused to wear a traditional MOB dress with the long sparkly jacket. My daughter went with me, and I picked out a beautiful strapless gown and bought a sheer wrap to wear over it for the ceremony. Everyone loved my dress because it was not typical MOB. If you feel good in the dress then definitely wear it. If it's too big on you, you can always get it altered. I would definitely wear it on the cruise, and if your daughter likes it, wear it for her wedding. Just because you are the MOB, you don't have to dress like your grandmother. A lot of the MOB dresses are very ugly and dowdy looking.

My thought is that it is too "partish" also for a MOB dress. I wish I could pull up the other dress but my husband switched computers and I can't get it on my computer now.

As far as the size goes, I kind of think if I pull up the straps, that could do it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=34791&d=1168829406attachment.php?attachmentid=36458&d=1170995544

Gingee, I tried to post the photo of your MOB dress from your other post and the larger version of your new dress. If it doesn't work, here are the links...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34791&d=1168829406

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36458&d=1170995544

My thought is that it is too "partish" also for a MOB dress. I wish I could pull up the other dress but my husband switched computers and I can't get it on my computer now.

As far as the size goes, I kind of think if I pull up the straps, that could do it.

Thanks for posting the picture of the other dress. I also have one back in late summer that shows the full view. How did you find this one?

I got the new dress at a store called Bergners. Something like Macys.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29869&d=1160166743

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29869&d=1160166743

I just clicked on your name and found your old posts! Voila!

Old dress photos! ;)

Thanks for posting the picture of the other dress. I also have one back in late summer that shows the full view. How did you find this one?

I got the new dress at a store called Bergners. Something like Macys.

Archived