Around-the-World cruise

sjde

My mother-in-law was planning to do an around-the-world cruise next year with HAL or Cunard (90-some days) but her travel agent warned her against it, saying she should start with a 30 day cruise. She says people find they get tired of it. I know she's disappointed, thinking, at 82, this may be her only chance. Does anyone have thoughts or comments on this? Should she just go for it? Other than tiring out with alot of walking, she's in great health. The most she's done before was a 10 day cruise and a 3 week bus tour. Thanks.

Sue

Sue,

If this is her dream, at 82, she should ignore the TA and go for it. My mom is 84 and no longer able to make this kind of a trip, even though she would have loved it a few years ago. our Mom's not getting any younger and if she's in good enough health...now's the time. If she gets too tired, she can always skip a few ports and just relax, but she may regret not doing this trip now, while she can, just because some TA advises against it. The past is gone, the future is uncertain...now is all there is...have her enjoy every single day left of her life to the fullest! Cruise On!

Abosultely go for it in 2008. And I strongly recommend Cunard, QE2 it is a 90 day voyage. There will be many other 80 year old ladies on board and she will never be bored or wanting to get off except in the ports of call. Because Cunard attracts many older passengers on their world cruises a lot of their excursions are geared to that age group. She will come back to you feeling like a teenager.

And if you book before April 30, Cunard is offering lots of discounts and on board goodies. Check it out today.

Anyone who can survive a three week bus trip can travel anywhere.

Go for it, just make sure you have excellent medical insurance cover.

My grandfather planned to travel when he got to 70, but ill health prevented him from doing so. He's always regretted not doing it.

If she gets bored of it (BIG if) then she could always fly back home and say, "I tried." If she sits at home she'll think "I should have tried."

AND 82 isn't that old. To stay young, be young. Is she needs a toyboy to help look after her...I'm free!!!! :D :D

I say she should go if that's what she really wants to do. I'm sure at 82 she has thought this out. Now it is so easy to keep in touch with family so that will make it easier too. She should do it while she can. You never know what might happen. I was at a dude ranch last fall and had a terrible fall and thus have become disabled due to extensive back problems. We never know what life will bring, so if she wants to do this she should.

Another vote for carpe diem - she should do what she wants and if that's a long cruise, then good for her. I'm not sure what motivated the TA to advise against it, but perhpas she's had people come back to her angry because of a longer cruise.

My DH and my philosophy is that you should do what you can today, because tomorrow you might not be able to and at least you can look back upon your 'banked' memories instead of all the empty dreams you never fulfilled.

Sept10 - I broke my back at work - this past summer, we climbed the Great Wall as part of our land portion of our cruise in China. It was only four months after extensive surgery and the doctor urged me to use this cruise as a goal. I never expected to be disabled, but I was pretty happy to learn it doens't mean you can't, just that you have to start thinking outside the box.

Charlie

I was hoping to hear from someone who'd actually done a world cruise, but nonetheless, these are excellent replies and I'm going to encourage her to go for it. She's been depressed since her travel agent told her this, although she's a strong-minded woman who's always done her own thing.

Sue

After the first couple of weeks she'll get into a happy routine. In the UK the seniors book into hotels in a town called Benidorm (southern Spain). They spend 3 months there and do so because it's a) warmer than home, b) cheaper to stay in the hotel than to pay food, heating bills etc in England.

Your mother I suspect will absolutely have the time of her life.

Yes, encourage her!! It's really a shame that she is depressed about something she should be Happy about. She should find a new travel agent or book directly with the cruise line. Princess is having an around the world cruise early 2008, too. I saw the itinery and in my opinion, liked it better. Tell her to have a great time.

Go over to the Holland America board. There are two running threads written by folks on the world cruise. Also do search for world cruise diaries or blogs.

If your mom can stand a 30 day bus tour she can handle a 90 day cruise!

PLEASE encourage your mom to go for it.

My mom died last Sept. She was only 73. She had very poor health for the last 9 months of her life.

I asked her if she had any regrets.

She said she regretted not travelling more when she was physically able. She did take some cruises, China, South Asia,Egypt etc. but she always put off doing more then she did, thought she should just save her money and see??

Well , she couldn't take her money with her, and it breaks my heart she didn't just go for it when she was able.

People rarely ( if ever ) die saying I wish I had done less.

I say definitely encourage her. My mom will be 81 this year and has the mind of a 50 year old and acts younger than some 50 year olds too. :D I don't think my mom would want to do a 90 day cruise but that's not cause she can't just cause she doesn't want to be on a ship for that long. My mom has travelled all over the world and this year is planning to go to Russia. I say get a new TA and have your MIL's dream come true!!! :)

I don't think I'd let a TA make the choice for her, she is not her doctor. Like everyone else states, she will probably be disappointed if she doesn't do this trip. A cruise like this is just a dream for some of us and I almost can't stand the thought of anyone who wants to and can financially manage it to not go.

Think of the great stories she will have to tell you :) ! Tell her to keep a detailed daily journal for the family to enjoy for years to come.

I hope you show her this thread and all the support she's getting from the people on Cruise Critic.

She's in good health right now and hopefully will stay that way for years to come, however, what if some illness occurs next year that makes it unlikely to go? Go NOW!

Has she cruised before? will she go with a friend?

We love cruising but I will admit that I hope I won't be sick of cruising by the time our 12 days are up on our cruise we are taking next fall. We are usually ready to leave by the time a 7 day cruise is up. Now the shorter ones are too short-although last year we did a 5 day on Celebrity which we felt was just about perfect-timewise.

I know Esther was taking a HAL baltic cruise this summer that was 34 days round trip from Boston and she changed her mind-she felt that was just too long a time-so she replaced that cruise with 3 seperate cruises instead. (I think)

I will see if I can get in touch with Esther and maybe she will post here to you.

another person to ask is Kitty9-she has taken some of the longer cruises-get her thoughts on it. she is on the Celebrity board alot.

Janie

Esther said it was her husband who did not want to be away that long which is why they canceled the 34 day cruise and that she would LOVE to do a world cruise.

I still say I would get bored and tired of it I think. I am just hoping I won't waddle off the ship in NJ this fall after my 12 day cruise!

So I guess if your mom has cruised before and she has an idea what a cruise is like then she should know whther or not she would like a 90 day cruise. But If she has never cruised-maybe she should try a 7 day cruise first to see if she would like it or not.

I would love to go around the world. What I would like to do though is have a combination cruiseship and train trip with lots of stops along the way. Ofcourse for someone as old as your mother-the packing and and unpacking would be hard for her. Hey it would be hard for me-so scratch that!

Archived