Mariner - help - April 2005

HELP!!! We (DH, DD (11) and I) are seriously considering booking the Mariner for the last week of April 2005 (Western Caribbean). The only other RCCL ship I've been on was the Nordic (now Empress) three years ago. Having never sailed on a Voyager class ship -- there is so much we don't know.

I'm thinking of a Junior Suite -- what benefits, if any, would we be entitled to? Any good locations to request?

How is the kids club for the 11 year-old age group?

We would like to take DD for the stingray tour in GC -- is there an age minimum?

We would like to take DD to the Dolphin Swim in Cozumel -- is there an age minimum?

Two years ago we stayed at the Radisson in Port Canaveral the night before our cruise on the Carnival Pride -- still a good place to stay night before?

What is a good time to get to the port for check in? If we have a Junior Suite, is there a separate line for Suite check-in?

I'm sure I will have other questions -- and I'm obsessively starting to plan now. Any other recommendations are gladly welcomed! Thanks!

scooter90:

In our opinion, go with 1694...JS aft deck 10. The JS doesn't entitle you to all the perks of the other suites, ie concierge service, but 1694 has a large balcony with an almost unobstructed view.

The Radisson is ok, but when we stayed there, we had a room facing the pool and heard quite a bit of noise (until approx. 12:30 pm).

During embarkation, there was a line for suites and Deck 10...

V&M

There is no age limit with most tour operators for the stingray excursion in grand cayman. There is a height and age limit to swim with the dolphins. check out the web site dolphindiscovery.com

V & M:

Thanks for the info on #1694 -- question tho. Was there allot of noise from the Windjammer above?

Does anyone have any first-hand info on the Adventure Ocean club for the 9 - 11 year olds?

Thanks!

We were on the Navigator (sister ship to the Mariner) last year. Our son was 11 and he loved the Adventure Ocean program. He went every chance that he got. We will be sailing on the Mariner in October and our daughter will be in this group this time, while my son will be moving on to the 12-14 year old group.

As far as stingray city, we did this on our first cruise, back in 2000, when my daughter was only 5. So your daughter should be fine. In our opinion, it is the best excursion that we have ever done.

Cruiseky:

Thanks for the info. DD really liked Camp Carnival last year on the Legend so she should be pretty comfortable at RCCL's club. She's the type of kid that never meets a stranger and has no fear of going up to kids in her age group and starting up a conversation. Thanks for the idea of checking out the website for the dolphin swim too. Have fun on your next cruise!

What part of KY are you from? My dad was born in Lexington.

We were on deck 10 right below Windjammer - no noise at all.

Did Stingray Island -no age limit, we did have a 5 year old that was very scared to go in the water!

The Junion SUite is so much nicer than a regular room -you have room to move around!! No perks but there is seperate line to embark.

Kids Club is okay - my 11 year old was somewhat bored as he thought it was too young - there were more 9 year olds in it and they tended to sing songs etc. He liked the late nite parties better.

ANy more questions, let me know just off july 18 mariner.

Did you find the Junior suite too crowded w/4. Considering all options for Mariner cruise next summer w/9 & 11 year old kids. Also, what excursions did you do in the other ports? It will be our first time bringing the kids:) any other hints on cruising with kids would be helpful!

cruiseblues - We were with family members totallying 15 from age 4-70, some had junior suites some had inside cabins. The junior suite was more than enough room for 2 adults and 2 children. There was a queen bed and then a queen pull out sofa unfortunately it wasn't very comfortable but the kids could get by with it for a week. THe closed is a walk-in, very spacious. The bathroom is small but has a tub and shower, and the balcony is of good size. We did not feel too cramped at all in the JS although others in the inside cabins did-they are way too small especially for more than 2.

We were on the western - we did Pete Taylor's tour in Ochos Rios and climbed Dunn's Falls - we did not take our 4 year old on this tour but took 10, 11, 12, 14, and 16 year olds and they had a blast!

Grand Caymen we did Nativeway Sports Snorkeling tour to Stingray Island, Coral Gardens, and Barrier Reef which was alot of fun also! Kids enjoyed it some skared at 1st of the stingrays. We didn't take our 4 year old on this but there was a 5 year old that was on the excursion who was very scared and wouldn't get into the water but older kids loved it.

Cozumel we all took a taxi to Paradise Beach which was very nice although my kids were disappointed that the Climbing iceberg was pulled out of the water -not working and I was disappointed that the band advertised would be playing was not and there was no music at all. Otherwise a beautiful beach.

Kids liked the arcade but at $1.50 to $2 per game which lasted about 2 minutes they didn't get to play as much as they would have if the games were more reasonably priced. After the 1st day or 2 most kids were hanging out or running around the arcade as I guess they ran out of money.

Kids also liked playing basketball, golf, and ice skating. They enjoyed the ice show. Hope this helps! Be happy to answer any other questions as were just off the 7/18 mariner.

Thanks Kattie! You've been reallly helpful! I'm sure that my kids would love all the excursions you described! This will be our first time with the kids and I have tons of questions! Did your kids eat w/you in the dining room? If so, which seating? We usually eat late at home (7:30ish) and enjoy the late seating when just me and DH, but I think that the late seating might be too late for them. Also thinking, maybe we could feed them at Windjammer early, then drop them off at kids club for their evening activities so that we could eat peacefully in the dining room (late seating) Did the 10 & 11 year old kids enjoy the Kids club activities? Did the kids in your group enjoy dressing up for dinner?

Not going until next summer, but already getting excited! Besides, the only way to get over Post Cruise Depression is to book your next one!;)

Crusieblues -yes I know about post cruise depression or any post vacation depression!! We are also planning our next big vacation!! Anyway, we had early seating which was surprising because we booked late - only 2 1/2 months before our July cruise! We had too many for one table so we were split into 2. One of 8 and one right next to it for 7. We had the kids sit at the one for 7 (we had an 16 year old and 19 year old girls there too). The girls loved dressing up except 11 year old girl who refuses to wear dresses or skirts so she was in a very pretty blouse and dressy pants. Our 12 year old (just turned 12 this week) begged to buy him a suit and he loved wearing it on the formal nights. However, our 14 year old boy did not -but we made him wear a suit and tie anyway and he did but couldn't wait till dinner was over so he could go change -oh teenage boys!! It was wonderful to get some nice family portraits with the kids all dressed up - I treasure those pics!! Our kid table was very well behaved and our dinners did take some time. We were prompt at 6 but usually didn't get out till close to 8pm!! So kids can get restless towards the end of dinner and the dessert at RCI are not at all kid friendly - we did have our waiter bring choc. chip cookies for them. There was a lot of selection on the kids dinner menu but mostly fried foods, hot dogs, spagetti and the kids also ordered off the regular menu if they saw something they liked or would like to try - they sure kept the roll man busy!!

They drank chocolate milk. I think it's nice to go ahead and get a table for your whole family and bring them to dinner a couple of times, on other nights you can bring them to adventure ocean where they meet at Johnny Rockets at 6pm for dinner and then go back to the ocean club with the teachers. I know they did this on formal nights and maybe some other nights too. Or you could take them to Windjammer at 6 and then the Ocean Club opens at 7 and if you have late seating you'll have from 7-8:30 to get dress in peace and relax or go to a lounge before dinner. Adventure Ocean pick up is 9:45-10pm unless you pay for late nights.

I think it really depends on the child on whether they like the Ocean Club. But it is something for them to do with other kids their age in a safe environoment and you don't have to worry. For my 4 year old they gave us a pager but they don't do that for the older kids. Of course, they never had to page us. Just go to the Oceaneer's show the 1st night in Studio B where they talk about what they do in the programs and your kids will get excited.

My 11 and 12 , 14 year old liked going and playing basketball, golf, and ice skating. They didn't like the pools - no slides, small, and SALT WATER!! So they did very little swimming on the ship. Anything else, let me know

Hi,

I was on the Mariner 5/23 sailing. We did the Clear Kayak Adventure & Snorkel in Cozumel and it was great. The nice thing about this excursion (thru RCCL) was that we got to hang out at this beach club called Uvas. They had a nice pool, bar, showers, and a shaded area with vinyl covered beds you could lay on. Have a great time - my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the Mariner.

Chelsea in Charleston

Archived