Vancouver Sights and Transportation

We will be returning Sept. 19th from NCL Star in Vancouver. We will not be leaving until Sept. 20 from Seattle to come home. Can anyone tell me about ground transportation to Seattle or if there is someplace close to get a rental car from where we disembark? Also if you only had a 1/2 day in Vancouver what sights would you see in Vancouver? We want to do some sightseeing before we go to Seattle that evening.

Thanks for all your help and information

Hi, Lanabgood. We stayed in Vancouver for three days following our cruise in April. I would suggest that a good way to see a lot of the City in a short time, including Stanley Park, would be by trolley:

We did a lot of sightseeing the first two days, hitting some of the places where we knew we wanted to spend some time. On our final day we hopped aboard one of the trolleys and saw the rest of Vancouver (Downtown and Granville Island). You can choose to do an entire loop (a few hours), or you can hop on and off, spending your time where you choose. We hopped off in Stanley Park for a walk along the beach, then on Granville Island for lunch and a visit through the Vancouver Museum, and then to tour Dr. Sun Yat Sen Garden.

We took the Quick Shuttle from Vancouver to Seattle. Hint: We will be flying out of Vancouver next time. A couple we met on our flight from Seattle had arrived in Vancouver that morning and rented a car to drive to Seattle. They enjoyed it.

Whatever you do, have fun in Vancouver. We can hardly wait to go back next summer.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Amtrak. Have you Google'd it? Someone who was going on our cruise was looking into it, but I believe there was only one train out each day. I'm sorry now that I didn't pay much attention to it. That would be a great way to leave Vancouver.

Lanabgood, try this shortcut:

http://tickets.amtrak.com/Amtrak/sid=EA63024B27D29C0D4716F08B3D6F0669/availability?storefront=1003&pageID=main

It does look like the only train out leaves at 6:00 p.m., arriving in Seattle at 9:55 p.m. Otherwise, there are three Amtrak buses leaving during the day.

If the shortcut doesn't work, go to amtrak.com, put in VAC for Vancouver and SEA for Seattle, put in a date, and go!

Moderators are trying to keep the subjects together...

This was more of a "Port of Call" question, rather than a specific cruise line. (did I see this on the NCL Board?) Now all Vancouver cruisers can value the topic. :)

btw... check out Canada, Pacific Northwest & United States for the west coast questions.

CMO - good to see you still posting - are you on any threads for your two upcoming cruises so that i can follow your progress.

Still trying to decide where to cruise to next

Cheers

Lanabgood - there are six ships in vancouver on Sept 19 - 4 at Canada Place including the Star - that's up to 8000 people in the port at the same time - some like you are only there for a few hours - however if this is your first Canadian port you will have to clear customs which could take some time given the number of people embarking and disembarking so you may be even further limited in what you will be able to see.

Dennis

Archived