Bear Excursion in Prince Rupert

mii

We are interested in the Khutzemateen Grizzly Bear excursion in Prince Rupert. Has anyone done that excursion. I did post this on the Alaska board but no answers. Curious how big of a boat and is it covered. We will be going there May 12, 2007 on the Infinity. Thanks

Marilyn

I haven't done that tour before. But out of curiousity, you said it was on a boat? Not sure how many brown bears you would see that way. It is kind of hit or miss. Especially in May because the bears are JUST coming out of hibernation (we have extended winters up here). Most bears you might see will be foraging for food and you would have a good chance of seeing them along river banks and such where they are looking for roots to dig up.

I have seen black bears while in a boat though. Besides that, the only grizzlies I have seen during that time frame were in Denali. Perhaps this tour you want to take would be able to tell you what your chances are of seeing the bears.

Shame you aren't going to be here during August/September. There are usually a ton of bears along the rivers at that time.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Celeste

Thanks Celeste for the information. it is by boat but we go near the preserve, but cannot land on it due to restrictions for the bear population. I understand that and also that it is quite early for bears but the ship offers the excursion and they always say that seeing them is not always there but also the trip to the preserve is in a very attracitive fiord area so hey if we see bears, fine if we don't at least the views will be o.k. This will be our 4th trip to Alaska. Love your state and thanks again for the information.

marilyn

Archived