Military Discount Question

ncjeff

I am asking this for a co-workers behalf so please don't flame me if I don't have the right answers. This person has 6 yrs in reserve does that qualify for Mil Discount. Like I said just trying to ask a question.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

I am asking this for a co-workers behalf so please don't flame me if I don't have the right answers. This person has 6 yrs in reserve does that qualify for Mil Discount. Like I said just trying to ask a question.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

I think it's all based off of an honorable discharge with the DD214....if they have that they can send(fax, email) it in with their ID.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

I just talked to my PVP this week. He said that any military service of 2 years or longer that ended with honorable discharge would qualify. The discount is awesome too!

:)

Tell your friend to request the discount. I think he is eligible, but if not, Carnival will let him know. We never knew about the discount until I joined the Boards. We used the discount on our 7th cruise, the Conquest, last November. We had a Spa deck room for 7 days for $549 pp. Loved the room, the discount, Carnival, and those who share here on the Boards.

On a 5 day cruise I only saved 50.00. IS this right or do you think It should be more?

Last year we saved about $180 on a 7 day cruise. We booked the cruise less then 2 months prior to sailing...I'm not sure if that affects the discounts or not. We just booked another one for this March. I know the cost without the discount and tomorrow I should find out what the discount is. I'll post here when I know.

My husband was in the Air Force Reserves for 6 years, and he did receive discharge papers when he had completed his service. Our PVP said this qualified him for the military discount, which amounted to about $250 pp on our upcoming 7 day Triumph cruise. I was happy to hear that we both get the discount when we travel together! However, we lost the discharge papers when moving years ago. We had to file a request to get a copy and are waiting for that now. Surely it will get here before Sept.!

and their familys?

Assume you are asking if rooms booked for other family members would also get the discounted rate.....well, maybe yes maybe no... here's the deal.

Sometimes Carnival offers just a straight military discount. There must be a qualifying active duty service person or veteran for each cabin booked in order to get it at the discounted rate....AND there are only a certain number of cabins available with the military discount on any given cruise. Once they are all booked, that's it---even if you would qualify, you probably won't get it.

At other times, Carnival offers what they call the Friends and Family military discount. Under that program, you can usually book up to three cabins at the discounted rate, even if only one person is qualified. Same situation as above applies here regarding only a limited number of cabins available for this discount on any particular sailing.

If you are using a TA, make sure that you have them ask about this discount. Not all area familiar with it. (Mine had not heard of it but was impressed when she found out about it for me. She regards it as another good tool for her sales kit...if yours doesn't I would find a new one :p. ) You will be given a number for the Interline department that handles the verification of eligibility. You just have to fax them a copy of the appropriate documention (in our case, DD214's plus a picture ID). It is also a good idea to have your TA or PVP check to see that the info was properly received and processed...usually a couple of weeks later.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

USAF vet

Carnival Valor~December 2005

Update ....just got off the phone with Carnival. We are crusing in about 5 weeks (I always wait to the last minute to make reservations) and the military discount for us was $440. I think that is pretty good. Also, I didn't have to provide my DD-214 again as I did it last year and they keep it on file.

I was told by Carnival that Milatary Discounts will only give you that rate for one Cabin. And if you want another it will be full rate or Past guest rate if you have traveled with them before.

I was told to send the DD214 as well as a milatary Photo ID.

WOW..........I had to delete about 20 posts in this thread......Anyone know why?

Yes I do, and I'm thankfull not before I was able to check out the info on the guilty thread.

A Canadian posted on another thread that he had received a military discount from Carnival. I had my TA check with 3 different people at Carnival and they all said it is given to U.S. military only. The site I just saw confirmed that. Most all the cruise lines listed extend the military discounts to Canadian military as well as U.S. except Carnival and Princess. Funny that Holland America and Costa do and Carnival and Princess don't when they are all Carnival lines. I think they should be consistant within the COrporation.

I guess this means we'll be comparing different cruise lines more often to see who get's the better deal, me with my past guest on Carnival or him with his military discount on some other line.

Note that when they say 2 years, they really mean it. I was dumb enough to take a 2 week cut to continue my college education and then they gave me about 5 days extra to get home for Christmas. You guessed it! Now I am not eligible. I checked with Carnival several times. I have the honorable discharge and would have been drafted if I had not enlisted. Also had to do my Reserve time.

So on the Carnival ship when they some times ask the Veterans to stand up, I'm not sure if I am eligible. I do know one thing, I would have been AWOL if I left my post during that 1 year, 11 months and some day period.

Oh and please, NO FLAMING about rules and war time conditions, it's all water over the dam now.

Archived