PG Roll Call Dec 1,2007

RMS Olympic

Anyone else on board?

My second cruise on this great ship....

Question: What is the wave runner excursion at Bora Bora like? Is it just a ride to a beach or an actual run around the island? Is the sea rough for the most part? Do you sit or stand on these runners.

I read a comment from Princess cruiser that Princess would not sell the excursion because of the danger associated with operating the wave runners. But Regent does.....should I be concerned? Is the water so rough you have to plod along and really cant enjoy the experience? At the cost of this excursion, I would want to enjoy it and not come back to the ship dissapointed.

Thanks

I have done the jetskis around Bora Bora. You do actually go all the way around Bora Bora inside the lagoon. It was a really fun and exciting and amazing excursion. I had never done it before and was a little scared to start and the guide of course had to make fun of me because of it, but it was great. I never felt in danger. The colors of the water are amazing. Depending on the roughness of the water, you may spend more time on your butt than braced on your feet and bouncing, but we had a calm side and a rough side to the island the day I did it. We made three stops and got off the jetskis and waded ashore to different motus. The guide picked coconuts and then fed us tiny bananas and 3 different ripenesses of coconuts and some citrus fruits. It felt to me like we were going really fast at times, but I don't know how fast that would be. One thing, I had imagined that it would be comparable to riding a motorcycle, which you mostly steer by leaning. Jetski is all arm work! You have to muscle it with your arms and shoulders and upper back to get it to go where you want it to go. Since I was nervous to start, I think I really had a deathgrip on that thing. But, I spoke to the other 2 drivers on our excursion (both men who had experience doing this) and they both said that their hands were going to sleep between the stops from gripping and straining and both said they were sore the next day when I saw them. I was really sore the next day! But, since it wasn't just me I didn't feel so bad about it. It was great fun and I would have been sorry to miss it. It is a very expensive excursion, but I don't think that you would be disappointed. Remember that the cost is per jetski, which is for 2 people.

Debbie

Archived