Seasick or not?

BlessedBeingMom

This post is for the newbies.

We just got back of our first cruise, on the Holiday out of Mobile, down to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. I was sure that I would get seasick as I often feel carsick, so I was prepared. I brought along some meclizine (generic Bonine), some ginger root capsules and even a few Transderm Scop patches. We had some pretty rough seas one evening (the boat was really rocking & rolling due to the effects of an earthquake that was in the vicinity of Cuba earlier that day) and I was really pleased that I did not get seasick even then. I am glad I brought the medications just in case I were to need them (rather be safe than sorry) but I would say not to assume you will get seasick (even if you get carsick) as you might be pleasantly surprised. The only thing I took was one meclizine tablet on the first day, second day and fourth day. I really think I would have been okay without it though, and so I quit taking it. Anyway, I just thought I would share in case it helped anyone.

i've been on 2 cruises before and i seemed to have gotten seasick on the first day of each cruise when my body isnt used to the motion just yet... always that first night eating in the dining room seems to do it to me

my first cruise, i took the patch along with me. i hated having the blurred vision from the patch (needed to hold the dinner menu 10 feet away for me to read it LOL) so on the 2nd cruise, i thought, let me just see if i even need anything for motion sickness... sure enough, got sick at dinner again on 1st night and ran to the gift shop to get some bonine... it worked wonders!

i have an inner ear problem where i dont even have to be moving to get motion sickness... so you can only imagine me on a ship... i dont leave home without the meds!!!!!

I was concerned about rough seas on our Christmas cruise. I took a generic Bonine every day. I found it actually helped me get my land legs back once we returned home.

I don't have a problem taking it as a preventative. Once seasickness hits, I think you will just be treating the symptoms. I felt better preventing it.

Guest BeckyThane

I believe in prevention -- nothing worse than a ruined cruise! I take a Bonine every day whether I think I need it or not, and ginger pills when I start to get queasy. But all in all, I don't suffer from sea-sickness much -- it's the land-sickness that kills me! The first time hit me like a ton of bricks. Woke up the first morning home; I ~crawled~ out of bed, and was running into walls on BOTH sides of the hallway. I finally got smart last time (fourth time's the charm? Maybe I'm just a slow learner...) and kept taking Bonine, TWICE a day, after coming home for the first five days, then weaned down to one on days 6 and 7. I think I need to just stay at sea... :D

I didn't even think about taking the Bonine once I got home. I should have though. I started with a cold the day I got back and I've also been very dizzy and lightheaded the last few days. :(

I wouldn't hesitate to take the Bonine again on future cruises though, just in case. I have heard of people developing seasickness who never had it on prior cruises, so you can never tell. I just don't think I'd worry personally too much about the patches next time (for myself anyway).

Archived