Barge hits cruise ship - bummer

Turk

Barge hits cruise ship on Mississippi; no one hurt

From the Associated Press

February 11, 2007

NEW ORLEANS — A barge struck a cruise ship Saturday on the Mississippi River, leaving a 30-foot gash on the ship and forcing the cancellation of a five-day cruise to the Caribbean.

No injuries were reported on Carnival Cruise Lines' Fantasy ship or the barge, authorities and company officials said.

The barge hit the riverbank and then the port side of the cruise ship as it waited to dock, according to a statement from the cruise line.

There was minor damage to the barge, one of six rice barges being pushed by the towing vessel the Repentance.

Carnival said the 2,050 passengers who had been allowed to board were later told their cruise had been canceled because repairs would take several days.

The cruise line said the passengers would receive a refund and a discount on a future cruise.

CNN is stating there was no damage to Fantasy but to the barge.

Brenda,

CNN is incorrect if that is in fact what they are reporting.

I don't think any cruise line would cancel a 5 day cruise if there were no damage to the ship.

You may want to check out this video of the damage to the cruise ship.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/10980601/detail.html

Bill

Brenda,

CNN is incorrect if that is in fact what they are reporting.

I don't think any cruise line would cancel a 5 day cruise if there were no damage to the ship.

You may want to check out this video of the damage to the cruise ship.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/10980601/detail.html

Bill

Wow. Makes the Grandeur hull scrape look like a pimple by comparison! :eek:

Brenda I'm sorry but sometimes when you post, I can only imagine what it would have been like to listen to the radio when Orson Wells broadcast...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a grave announcement to make.

Incredible as it may seem,...those strange beings who landed in the

Jersey farmlands tonight are the vangaurd of an invading army from the planet Mars."

-Orson Welles,,, from his radio brocast of, The war of the Worlds.

I think I would really like to meet you someday! ;)

You know how guys (and gals) have fantasy football? I'm going to start my fantasy cruise list from CC, and come up with my fantasy travel mates. Brenda is at the top of the list. I'd like also to meet Wraithe, Patti, Merion Mom, and Parrotthead8, and of course Paul and I are going to buy each other a drink in the CL. LOL Oh yeah and I wanna see the jammies in the WJ, and the "wife beater" in the formal dinning room. (Can I say whatever I want or do I have to shut up? hmmm) LOL

Huh, I was in New Orleans just this weekend, saw both Fantasy and the Norwegian Sun. Fantasy looked fine, my bf took a couple of pictures of her, let me see if I can snarf his camera and upload the pics. I was not aware she was not supposed to be in NO yesterday (Sunday).

The ironic thing about this is a merchant in the mall was telling us about a collision between a ship and a barge on the river the day before but she didn't say it was Fantasy it happened to.

Archived