snorkeling without visiting stingray city??

bjp

We will be on ROS in April with one day in Cayman Islands- would love to take snorkeling shore excursion touring as many coral formations as possible. Will have about 5 hours maximum to devote to this. We have zero interest in visiting stingray city. All advertised snorkeling expeditions include this as a stop. Thank you for your suggestions.

We've already been to Sting Ray City and didn't want to return. We did want to snorkle again at Coral Gardens and the Barrier Reef, but we also couldn't find anyone that wouldn't go to Sting Ray City in addition to those spots. We ended up booking the Aqua Boats. They go to Smith Cove, Sandy Cay and the ship wreck "Cali". Another option is renting a car and doing some shore snorkeling. There are several posts here regarding Cemetary Reef, Smith Cove and others.

We ended up booking the Aqua Boats. They go to Smith Cove, Sandy Cay and the ship wreck "Cali". Another option is renting a car and doing some shore snorkeling. There are several posts here regarding Cemetary Reef, Smith Cove and others.

What are the Aqua Boats? Can you provide contact info for me?

Thanks!

We didnt want to do Sting Ray City either and found an excursion thru the ship (BOS). We had planned on renting a car at GC based on what I read here. But we decided we didnt want to bother with the car so we signed up for a 2.5 hr snorkeling excursion for $28 - the best snorkeling I have done. The snorkeling spots are between the cruise ship and the shore - very close so you get 1/2 hr at the shipwreck, 45 min at the reef - it was awesome. The guides were great - fed the fish so there were loads of them. They also offered fruit punch and water. And it only took a portion of our morning. Then we grabbed a cab (small bus) for $3 ea which dropped us off at 7 mile beach. We walked, ate lunch at the beach bar (my favorite thing to do - eat and have a frozen drink right on the beach), and of course had to get in the water-- so calm and clear - absolutely beautiful. The beach was not very crowded in spots - just walk a bit away from the hotels. I liked this beach better than Aruba (seemed very crowded to me where we went). We walked all the way back to the ship, had time to do some shopping as well and we were back on board in time for our dinner at 6. It was a great day!!

walk down to Sunset House

SunsetHouse.com

snorkel a little

eat a little

drink a little

call a cab.

I've hunderds or hours on that section of reef and damn it....the fish keep changing.....

but the friends and the bar are ALWAYS there

Anyone remember how much the snorkel gear costs to rent near Edens Rock. Or, is it better to buy it? Thanks!:)

http://www.edenrockdive.com/5.htm

most of the shops are about the same.....ER doesn't say if prices are CI or US tho

a bit farther down the road

http://sunsethouse.com/rates_dive.php

MFS $10 US ... $8 CI

{remember that in Cayman, your US $10 is $8 CI ..... $10CI is $12 US}

Eden Rock is about a 10 minute walk from the shore tender port. When you exit the port, make a right and you can't miss it. You can also rent lockers at Eden Rock. Great place to snorkel...plan on returning there next month.

Archived