Car rental in Kona?

jaxterry

Aloha. Here is a recent discussion on the subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=483573&highlight=kona+car

You can also do an advanced search on this forum only for "kona car" and go back maybe 3 months. That will get you a bunch of threads that aren't necessarily all about Kona, but that include renting a car in Kona and various experiences members have had.

beachchick

You will want to rent from Thrifty or Dollar ( I have also heard Enterprise is nearby) from the King Kamehameha Hotel. The desk is at the main entrance to the hotel, just next to the tender pier. We rented from Dollar, as I could find the site on the web, but I hear Thrifty is cheaper. Our car was a very clean, new mid-sized car for less that $41 (plus gas). You will want to make a reservation before you leave - we were the only ship in port that day, and the cars were all booked - none left for walk-ups.

You will want to rent from Thrifty or Dollar ( I have also heard Enterprise is nearby) from the King Kamehameha Hotel. The desk is at the main entrance to the hotel, just next to the tender pier. We rented from Dollar, as I could find the site on the web, but I hear Thrifty is cheaper. Our car was a very clean, new mid-sized car for less that $41 (plus gas). You will want to make a reservation before you leave - we were the only ship in port that day, and the cars were all booked - none left for walk-ups.

Enterprise is a few blocks away from the pier, uphill, in the "Old Industrial" area. There's also a sort of 'rent-a-wreck' type place that operates from the Lighthaus Camera building, about two or three blocks up from the pier on Palani. Doubt very much they have a web presence, and the cars are older and sometimes don't have AC, but they are pretty cheap and often have cars when the major outlets don't. Most of the airport car rental places also provide shuttles, but you do have to watch your timing much more carefully than if you are dropping off at the King Kam or elsewhere in Kona proper.

Archived