Honolulu Hotel Assistance

hcs81m

I booked the Doubletree Wayland Waikiki hotel for my pre-cruise stay in May, but I can't find any guest reviews on this hotel. Does anyone have any information regarding this hotel, i.e. area, proximity to the port, amenities, etc? Thank you.

What a coincidence! I was just reading an article in the Honolulu Star Bulletin on-line Saturday's edition on this hotel. The reason there are no reviews is that the hotel has not re-opened from it's remodeling after purchased by Hilton in 2005. They've run into mold problems which is delaying the reopening. Here's the article link:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/02/10/news/story03.html

It sounds like it will be a luxury hotel but I would book back up hotel plans (which you can cancel closer to the date) just in case.

Thanks for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for and it explains the good rate I was able to get. I wonder if Hilton would switch us to another hotel if this hotel remains closed by cruise time.

Glad I saw this post since we couldn't decide between staying at Embassy Suites, the Wyland or Sheraton Princess Kaualani for our 4 night stay after a full week in Kauai at Xmas time using points. Haven't seen any decent reviews for either place... guess we'll just hold onto all places and see what "pans out". DD is highly sensitive to mold so I think we'll skip the Doubletree no matter the outcome.

Thanks.

Carolyn

Glad I saw this post since we couldn't decide between staying at Embassy Suites, the Wyland or Sheraton Princess Kaualani for our 4 night stay after a full week in Kauai at Xmas time using points. Haven't seen any decent reviews for either place... guess we'll just hold onto all places and see what "pans out". DD is highly sensitive to mold so I think we'll skip the Doubletree no matter the outcome.

Thanks.

Carolyn

They are doing a full renovation, and the article said that they caught the isloated mold problems (sounds like cracked or defective tub/shower pans). I'm sure they'll be inspected very carefully since the problem has been identified, so I wouldn't think that mold would be a problem in the future. However, I would be concerned about the opening date. Sounds like a luxury hotel (rooms $300+), so if you got a great price.. I would think they would transfer you to another hotel if your room wasn't available. But I would book another hotel with a 24 hour cancellation policy as a back up.

Archived