Corkage Fee in Dining Room

65Cardinal

Skandls,

Not sure how they are going to use the Riedel glasses. On this particular cruise that we went on, Mr. Riedel and his staff were giving seminars and lectures to the Sommeliers and all the resturant staff and to some invited guests. It is our understanding that Celebrity loved the glasses and was going to buy and use them. I would assum it will be offered to all in the dinning room as the purpose is to make drinking Celebrity wine an experience. As we are "wine snobs", we had them brought to our table each night for dinner. They accommodated us but were careful not to bring anymore than the amount needed for only our party and made sure each was carefully taken away after our meal..made us feel like they were kept under lock and key between uses. Riedel is a fine glass and would be a plus for cruisers who enjoy wine regardless of how much you paid for the wine.

Der

I don't think the riedel glasses will be available for general use. Which is too bad. When we had them in 2000 they were brought specially to the table and then carefully put away. We had brought some expensive wine from home and we were glad to have use of good glasses.

DH wants to try and bring our own - but they are too fragile to travel with. Although we do have 2 from a Wine Spectator tasting in Las Vegas.

Before we get too carried away, Riedel glasses are now available for a VERY reasonable price at Costco. That means if X chose to use them fleet-wide, they could load up for a small cost (sure, more than they pay for lousy glasses, but not a budget buster). The problem is probably that Riedel and similar stemware must be handwashed (or there will be lots of breakage), and it is that cost (labor) not the glasses themselves which are the realy issue. As others have noted, good glasses do a tremendous amount to improve the experience.

Tuggers, in the past few months I have liked these pinots: Camelot 2003, Turning Leaf 2005, and Castle Rock (Carneros) 2004. Each of these is $10 or less (Probably can be found at discounters for even less.) For a buck or two more look for the Cycles Gladiator (what a name!) 2005. I was a judge for inexpensive pinot noirs at a recent Calif competition. Here's a linnk to our results http://www.winejudging.com/medal_winners_2007/400.htm

If you want to spend a bit more look for any bottle from the Keller Estate (It's about 20+ but well worth it.)

I find way too many of today's pinot noirs that are trying to be syrahs (that is way too much body, extract and big tannins) Way too much for my taste. If I had wanted Syrah, I'd have bought Syrah!

While I don't like the higher corkage fees, I really cannot complain about the slightly increased cost ($10 per day!) on a cruise that will cost me much more than $6000 in Concierge Class. The wines we take on board (checked in as luggage in styrofoam shippers) are worth the $25 corkage fees. The good restaurants in our area charge $30 corkage.

This would not keep me away from X, but the high non-discounted cruise charges just might!

We are testing Princess on our next cruise. They seem to have some great itineraries and very good prices. We will see how the service compares!

Tuggers, in the past few months I have liked these pinots: Camelot 2003, Turning Leaf 2005, and Castle Rock (Carneros) 2004. Each of these is $10 or less (Probably can be found at discounters for even less.) For a buck or two more look for the Cycles Gladiator (what a name!) 2005.

Being from a small town in Ga the only one I was able to find was the Camelot but I did manage to find an 03 by looking through the bottles. I will take the list with me and see if I can find any of these in Fl.

I did find the Nobilo Icon Sauvignon Blanc in a bargain bin for under $10. I like this with fish and seafood so I took all they had. I usually pay $18 for the Icon.

Davefr:

Laetitia Estate Pinot Noir

Ditto on this. I will look for it in Fl.

Thanks all for the help!

Tuggers, in the past few months I have liked these pinots: Camelot 2003, Turning Leaf 2005, and Castle Rock (Carneros) 2004. Each of these is $10 or less (Probably can be found at discounters for even less.) For a buck or two more look for the Cycles Gladiator (what a name!) 2005.

Being from a small town in Ga the only one I was able to find was the Camelot but I did manage to find an 03 by looking through the bottles. I will take the list with me and see if I can find any of these in Fl.

I did find the Nobilo Icon Sauvignon Blanc in a bargain bin for under $10. I like this with fish and seafood so I took all they had. I usually pay $18 for the Icon.

Davefr:

Laetitia Estate Pinot Noir

Ditto on this. I will look for it in Fl.

Thanks all for the help!

This may have been addressed before but there are SOOO many wine threads I must admit I'm just not going to dig through them all.

Our TA is buying us two bottles. Must we pay a corkage fee for them if we drink them at dinner? Same with my parents who are buying us a bottle through the bon voyage deal -- can we drink that at dinner with no fee? I dread the thought of having any sort of discussion at a nice dinner about whether or not we have to pay a fee. Ugh.

I'm encouraged to hear that it may be possible to bring on two bottles per person. We're embarking from Rome and I want to take advantage of the great prices on really decent bottles we can find there.

Our TA is buying us two bottles. Must we pay a corkage fee for them if we drink them at dinner? Same with my parents who are buying us a bottle through the bon voyage deal -- can we drink that at dinner with no fee? I dread the thought of having any sort of discussion at a nice dinner about whether or not we have to pay a fee. Ugh.

We were not charged corkage for bottles that were part of bon voyage gifts purchased though Celebrity. You should ask for the bon voyage wines to be sent to tour dinner table instead of you state room so they know that it was really a bon voyage gift.

Archived