Snorkeling With 3 yr old and 4 yr old, any fun?

KandMGIn

OK, we are considering bringing our kids with in Cozumel to snorkel. 3 yr old will probably not be able to use the snorkel, 4 yr old maybe (We are going to practice in the tub!). So, has anyone snorkeled with a little one who just looked in the water from time to time and had any fun themselves? Hate to leave the kids in the camp while we are off the ship, you know! It is a FAMILY vacation and all! icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;09;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we leave for New Orleans and the Conquest

January 2004 Adventure of the Seas

January 9th 2005 Conquest (Here we come!)

The kids will probably think its fun to try to snorkel and will have a great time playing in the water, etc. However, I don't think I would count on doing any serious snorkeling yourself. I would be too afraid to take my eyes off them for any length of time to try to do any real snorkeling myself. Maybe you and your DH can trade off. One of you can snorkel while the other helps the kids and then switch. I definitely wouldn't want to leave kids on board while I went ashore, especially after the incident with the Celebrity ship being sent back out into international waters with passengers still onshore. Practicing in the tub is a good idea to get them used to the snorkel. Maybe with summer approaching, take them to a pool or water park with their snorkel gear and see how they do in larger amounts of water. Have a great cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Mariner of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;04;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Sovereign of the Seas

We snorkeled in Cozumel with just turned 7 year old - she at first was a bit freaked by the fish swimming around her, and she is not the squeamish sort.

We practiced ahead but she still had a bit of trouble with the snorkel - I think it is more about feeling secure than the logistics of it. She prefered to hold her breath with only mask.

However, she LOVED the beach! Rolling in the waves, and using a small boogie board.

We caught onto the idea of having her laying on the board with her head hanging over with mask on for viewing fish. MY husband and I took turns holding onto board and snorkeling next to her - allowing us to steer her towards marine life we saw.

This might make it easier & more enjoyable for your foursome (pack 2 small boogie boards). But I would count on most of the day being just a trip to a great beach - be sure you're somewhere there is soft sand bottom for the kids to just play in the waves.

Enjoy!

Tina

Tina, thanks for the heads up on the boogie boards! Wouldnt have even thought about that. Which beach did you go to in Cozumel?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;09;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Our 4 year old LOVED snorkeling in the pool, but when we took her into the ocean, she was scared (waves & stuff I guess). So I ended up hanging out by the boat with her, now and then getting her to get off the platform & just swim around. I saw nothing but her that day of snorkeling.

If you're going on Carnival, I've gotta say, my kids (2 and 4) MUCH preferred the kids club to excursions.

Triptakers

Celebrity Mercury 5/01 - Alaska

Carnival Paradise 3/04 - W. Caribbean

Triptakers, Did you feel comfortable leaving them on the ship while you went on the excursions? I guess I am worried about it. I want to enjoy excursions with them and vice verca, will miss doing excursions myself. Hmmm....

I didn't think I'd do it, but in no time I was so happy with the counselors & how they interacted with my kids....they were well beyond being just competent, in my opinion...I actually preferred them to our regular babysitter at home (who we love). I felt totally confident with them taking care of both kiddos!

At the first port, my mother in law stayed onboard just in case they had any difficulty. They had a blast!

At the next stop, I took the 4 year old with me, and after about an hour, she asked to go back to the ship.

So you can judge for yourself & see what you think - I'm an overprotective stay at home mom & it took me a little while, but not long icon_wink.gif, to decide. The kids took no time at all to decide! icon_biggrin.gif

Triptakers

Celebrity Mercury 5/01 - Alaska

Carnival Paradise 3/04 - W. Caribbean

Thanks for the info. I am also an over protective stay at home mom and I am a bit worried about it! Thanks for letting me know that it can be done.

most of the snorkel excursions are from a boat and i would not feel comfortable taking my 3 and 4 year old on the bpoat out into open water and letting them swim.. and they are excellent swimmers (live in our pool) Justya warning so you check to see if yours is a beach snorkel or a boat one.. life vests may be an issue also if it is from a boat.

We took our three year old twins snorkeling last year. They had practiced in the pool, but like Triptaker's daughter, the waves seemed to bother them. We had tons of fun at the beach at Labadee, and my husband and I did a little snorkeling, but mostly just enjoyed sitting in the shade and playing with the kids in the sand. I don't think I would pay for a snorkeling excursion with my kids, just try to find a nice beach to try it.

We left the kids at Adventure Ocean while we were in Jamaica - they had so much fun, got to have lunch with their counselors too. My daughter actually cried when we came to pick them up at lunch! FYI, I'm a medium nervous mom. Careful about who I leave them with and what they see on TV, but allow them to eat food off the floor, wear goofy uncoordinated outfits, and eat too many goodies. Yeah, I'm sure to be on the cover of "Bad Parenting" Magazine again soon...

Have fun on your cruises! It was such a wonderful family vacation for us that we are doing it again this October!

Barbara

PS Tina, I LOVE your idea of hanging off of a boogie board! I am buying them now, as they will be difficult to find here in Chicago this fall!

There are many places to snorkel along the shore, a few miles from the cruise ship pier - if you look at a map of Cozumel, the reefs are just off shore starting about 6-7 miles? south of the terminals. Many people just hailed a taxi to the resorts here then got out and found access to the water (the one I remember is The Presidente)

We snorkeled at an area the locals call Dzul Ha - it is just south of the paradise reef, and just before you get to Holiday Inn and Chankanaab Park. There is really no beach here but there are restrooms and food service.

I highly recommend Chankanaab - the cruise ship probably offers a tour here but you can hail a taxi for about $10 and entrance used to be $10 for adults and children free.

Great snorkel lagoon w/ beach(lotsa fish but not nice coral), botanical garden, historical area (recreation of Mayan village), restrooms and snack bar - very easy with little ones. I think now they have some dolphin swim here too? Go early it gets crowded.

I recommend posting a question about Chankanaab on the Scuba/Snorkel board for an update as it's been a few years for us.

Have fun!

Tina

We were in Cozumel Dec 2001 and took our 3 yo and 6 yo to a place called Playa Sol Beach Break. Its a 6.00 cab ride each way and about 10 minutes from the pier. You do pay to get in I cannot remember how much except that it was far less than Carnival Wanted. Its like a private beach club and it has a restaurant and a pool. You can snorkle right at the beach my dh found a gian starfish. My 6 yo snorkeled a little 3 yo not intrested at all but played in the sand collecting coral.

CCL Inspiration Xmas 01

CCL Triumph July 4 02

CCL Destiny Thanksgiving 02

CCL Victory July 4 03

CCL Glory Aug 23 03

Golden Princess 06/27/04

RC Explorer 08/29/04

would not do it for 3 yr old, maybe 4---BUT buy a cheap raft with a little plastic see-thru headrest part---they can lie on the raft on tummy and see some fish. also, take your own life vests---you can get cheap cute ones, not too bulky at walmart, target, etc.--also, take a cheap bucket, shovel, etc. at this age, that's what mines liked---chakanaab(sp.?) in cozumel is a kid-friendly spot. it has OK shore snorkeling and there is a little sandy area for little ones. also, at that age, really, they will like the kids camp as much or more than any excursion.

ps--"Would not do it" was re. snorkeling...re sip-I would not have any problem leaving on board--our 4 yr old ASKED to be left in kids club and did not even get off boat at cozumel!! re. safety---OK let's say your ship has to go back to international waters (3 miles out or so). HIGHLY unlikely---but in any event---who cares!!! they have trained staff---I'm sure they took EXTRA precautions on the celebrity, and then they just tender/ferry you back to the ship (OK, so that has happened what, like maybe less than 5 times in 5 years, I'm guessing). feel perfestly fine leaving them there---they are in good hands.

Archived