Cabin with bulter service - is it worth the extra $$

SanFranBayCruiser

You call him/her. He will have a specific phone number. You will also have a cordless phone which will work as your on-board cell phone. Carry it with you wherever you are on the ship so the butler and/or concierge can contact you or you contact them. Other passengers can call your "cell" number, too.

You will also be invited to VIP meals (breakfast and lunch) in one of the dining rooms. I don't think they mention that in their brochures. Because we were in a penthouse recently, the butler made sure we had the endless fruit basket and assorted treats throughout the cruise. He can do a bar set-up for you, too, along with delivering any en-suite dining you may want. Some people say they never used the butler, but when you look back at what was delivered every afternoon/evening, you will see they do a lot - and will do more if you ask it of them.

Some people say the butler can arrange your reservations but that's the concierge's assignment.

Enjoy!

Is it worth it? This is a never ending debate. For us, we find the services of the so-called "butler" completely superfluous and frequently intrusive. We would much prefer having an AB or better without a butler.

I suppose everything depends on your stage of life, your travel experience, the butler's level of competence and what you enjoy when cruising. For example, our friends prefer to be left alone when vacationing. Their vacation time is precious and they vacation to be together. So long as their room is cleaned daily, they're happy campers. In their view, the less they see of paid personnel during the voyage the better. As for us, an NCL butler is nothing more than an enhanced room service attendant. They really don't render any personal butle services and should not be called "Butlers." At most they provide passengers with an extra hand but otherwise duplicate the services already rendered by room service and others. A suite should have fresh cut flowers and fruit in it. But that's what the room attendants do. Bringing me 4 slices of kiwi or a few cream puffs each afternoon is completely unnecessary. If you're impressed by being served a meal in room, fine. I guess it's a novelty for some people. Also, not all NCL butlers are created equal. There are less competent butlers who will do almost nothing for you (and do that rather poorly) yet expect you to tip them.

For us, given what NCL calls a "butler," all we need is the the Concierge.

I booked through NCL directly. The first time I called them and they gave me the upsell. The second time they called me.

This is very strange as NCL (in the UK) specifically stated that they don't do upsells - "it must be something new that Miami are trying out" :confused::confused::confused:

Is it worth it? This is a never ending debate. For us, we find the services of the so-called "butler" completely superfluous and frequently intrusive. We would much prefer having an AB or better without a butler.

I suppose everything depends on your stage of life, your travel experience, the butler's level of competence and what you enjoy when cruising. For example, our friends prefer to be left alone when vacationing. Their vacation time is precious and they vacation to be together. So long as their room is cleaned daily, they're happy campers. In their view, the less they see of paid personnel during the voyage the better. As for us, an NCL butler is nothing more than an enhanced room service attendant. They really don't render any personal butle services and should not be called "Butlers." At most they provide passengers with an extra hand but otherwise duplicate the services already rendered by room service and others. A suite should have fresh cut flowers and fruit in it. But that's what the room attendants do. Bringing me 4 slices of kiwi or a few cream puffs each afternoon is completely unnecessary. If you're impressed by being served a meal in room, fine. I guess it's a novelty for some people. Also, not all NCL butlers are created equal. There are less competent butlers who will do almost nothing for you (and do that rather poorly) yet expect you to tip them.

212 I could not have said it better, and I thought I was the only one who felt like this. We had a butler on our last NCL cruise and it did not work out. We leave again in 2 weeks and we won't need a butler again. Well, except for the chocolate covered strawberrys.

212 I could not have said it better, and I thought I was the only one who felt like this. We had a butler on our last NCL cruise and it did not work out. We leave again in 2 weeks and we won't need a butler again. Well, except for the chocolate covered strawberrys.

I work very very hard 51 weeks a year; for one week of the year I have a butler, a concierge, and am given the VIP treatment. I have to work about 40 hours of overtime to pay for it, but the minute I step onto the ship from the gangway? None of THIS (my 51-week life) exists. Its the most freeing week of my life and I am 100% addicted to it. Had the Owners Suite on the Grand (Princess) last year and will be in a Courtyard Villa in 3 weeks 3 days! and yes, I'm counting !! If you never stay in your cabin, or don't want to, book inside low - but if you like to have cocktails while you are dressing for dinner, laughing and learning something new about your mom and aunt (my cruisin' buddies) - then a suite is the only way to sail. I will carry those memories for the rest of my life!!

Best of luck to you, whatever you choose!

:o :)

Just a quick note the three bottles of booze are not free you have paid for this in the price of your cabin.

For the poster from UK I am from UK and have had two upsells and my friends who travelled in October also received one. So don't give up hope.

Can someone clarify this for me? I called ahead and BOUGHT 2 bottles - but am I hearing that there are 3 bottles in your suite ? full size ???

Any help is greatly appreciated -- I'd love that, but don't know that I need 5 bottles !! then again........:confused:

Can someone clarify this for me? I called ahead and BOUGHT 2 bottles - but am I hearing that there are 3 bottles in your suite ? full size ???

Any help is greatly appreciated -- I'd love that, but don't know that I need 5 bottles !! then again........:confused:

Cruiser42, the 3 bottles come with the owners suite. By the way I totally agree with your assessment. I hope you and your cruisin' buddies laugh a lot!

Enjoy

We're about to book NCL Gem for April 2008 and are debating whether or not upgrading to a suite with butler service. For those of you who have booked suites with butler service, did you feel it was worth the extra $$? What did your butler do that the concierge couldn't handle?

Thanks!

We had a butler last time we were on the Dawn for the 11 day Western Caribbean voyage. We were in a penthouse aft suite. Would I book a suite again "NO". I found the butler to be more of a hastle then a perk.

We did not host a party in our cabin, we did not order special meals from the restaurants. I found that the simplest request from room service, like a salad or coffee in the morning, had to go thru the butler and then he would just walk right in after ringing the door bell once. If you were in the bathroom and by chance didn't hear the doorbell, oh well he just walked right in.

There is no option to not use the butler, unless you never plan on ordering room service. The expense of this added up as he wouldn't take a tip every time he came, he said "wait till the end".

I have sailed in a balcony, mini and in a suite and I guess I'm just one of those who doesnt hold true for the "once you have a suite you'll never go back".

I'm just as happy in a balcony and save all the extra expense of the butler for excursions JMHO.

Had the Owners Suite on the Grand (Princess) last year and will be in a Courtyard Villa in 3 weeks 3 days! and yes, I'm counting !! If you never stay in your cabin, or don't want to, book inside low - but if you like to have cocktails while you are dressing for dinner, laughing and learning something new about your mom and aunt (my cruisin' buddies) - then a suite is the only way to sail. I will carry those memories for the rest of my life!! Best of luck to you, whatever you choose!

:o :)

We had cruised in the Owner's Suite on the NCL Crown 2004. Then in an AB suite on the Spirit, 2005. Last year we tried out the Crown Princess in a Penthouse Suite. No butler, but as my wife said, "How bad can it be?"

Well, after having been butler-spoiled on NCL, that no butler Princess suite was a major disappointment.

Later this year we are back into the Owner's Suite on the Pearl. Having that butler is what you make of it -- and trust me, you can make a heckuvan experience out of it if you want to.:D

Hi everyone! This is our first time on NCL and we have booked an owner's suite (for room size--travelling with our 13 yo son-and the price was good). I have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions about the butler service.

1) Are these bottles of liquor full size? How/when do you let them know which liquors you drink or do they choose?

2) Do they stock and keep stocked the mini fridge with sodas and water?

3) We have been on Holland America the last 3 cruises and part of their perks in suites was free laundry. Does anyone know if that can be arranged/handled by your butler?

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Hi everyone! This is our first time on NCL and we have booked an owner's suite (for room size--travelling with our 13 yo son-and the price was good). I have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions about the butler service.

1) Are these bottles of liquor full size? How/when do you let them know which liquors you drink or do they choose?

2) Do they stock and keep stocked the mini fridge with sodas and water?

3) We have been on Holland America the last 3 cruises and part of their perks in suites was free laundry. Does anyone know if that can be arranged/handled by your butler?

Thanks for all the helpful info!

They are one liter bottles, and they will give you a list to choose from.

Yes, they will keep you stocked with soda and water.

We did not have free laundry. They do give you a large bag on one of the days. The cost was $20. for all you could stuff into it.

Have a great cruise and enjoy the OS and your butler.

Jackie

We had the Butler service when we stayed in one of the Penthouse suites on the Pride of Hawaii in November and we used her (the butler) much more than we thought. She made reservations for us, she got us into specialty restaurants that were completely booked for the evening. She made sure everything was perfect for us. We completely loved having a butler. She made the cruise more special.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

A few have mentioned in-suite dining as a major draw for having a butler and that the butler will get food from ANY restaurant on the ship. Question - will they get food from restaurants where there is a surcharge (e.g., specialty restaurants)? If so, do you pay the surcharge, or is that a perk? I'm gonna be in an AB suite if that matters.

Also, some mentioned they'll keep the suite stocked w/ water and soda. Is that also at no extra charge?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

A few have mentioned in-suite dining as a major draw for having a butler and that the butler will get food from ANY restaurant on the ship. Question - will they get food from restaurants where there is a surcharge (e.g., specialty restaurants)? If so, do you pay the surcharge, or is that a perk? I'm gonna be in an AB suite if that matters.

Also, some mentioned they'll keep the suite stocked w/ water and soda. Is that also at no extra charge?

Thanks in advance!

The surcharge does apply.

An AB does not receive bottled water or soda for free.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

The surcharge will only be charged if you order an entree from one of the specialty restaurants. Personally I order the chocolate fondue every evening in the cabin from Le Bistro...it's my favorite. My husband usually gets one of the soups from Le Bistro to snack on at night...with a side order of the fried calamari from the Italian restaurant.

I would rather go on less cruises a year than sacrifice the services of the Butler and Concierge for a less priced cabin. I am perk addicted. I love having full restaurant meal brought to our suite. I like having a hot breakfast (something I don't get much at home because of my busy schedule) delivered on time in the morning and served on a nice cloth covered table.

I always book a larger suite for the room size. On two other cruise lines, I booked the top suites and although I had the space,(large room tiny bathrooms) I really missed the services of the Butler.

Leaving on a cruise in just two weeks tomorrow, I am excited for the pampering of the Butler and the use of the services of the Concierge.

WE've sailed with and without butler and concierge. Room service is NOT having a butler. Not nearly as responsive nor reliable.

The butler is indispensible. Every morning breakfast and world news was delivered right on time - great on shore days.

Each afternoon snacks and tea delivered - or just left if we were not in. No time for dessert right after dinner? Or perhaps you were too full? Not a problem - have it delivered via room service later after the shows and nightlife.

My kids used him the most - they had their new friends from the ship come back to our cabin to "hang out" and ordered pizza and snacks.

Made reservations, offered advice, arranged EXCELLENT seating at restaurants.

The butler service is like staying at a great resort. They are there to simply enhance your vacation. They WANT you to use their services.

I would guess that many that don't use their services or feel uncomfortable with the butler probably don't use many land-based services (housekeeper, nanny, spa services, country club activities like private golf or tennis lessons) either. It is just a comfort factor.

You can order anything from any of the "pay" restaurants and have it delivered to your room by the butler; yes, you will pay the surcharge.

As for sodas/water - that's not a perk for the AB suites. I believe only owners' suite and Garden Villa.

I have done both and would never pay the extra for these "extra perks" again. How hard is it to phone the restaurant to make a reservation. You still have to call the concierge and tell him what you want so you may as well do it yourself anyway. If you really look at how much extra these perks are costing you, you may as well hire a full time staff member bring them with you and put them in an inside cabin then have them serve you for a week. I feel sure you would work out to be $$ in pocket and even if you paid them 40 hours per week.

The only reason I would take a suite would be for the accomadations they are much better than an ordinary cabin, but are you going to spend that much time in your cabin?

Fun reading about the pro's and con's of butler service. I just booked our first NCL cruise for Alaska Aug 08. Maybe it was because the cruises were just released, but it turned out the AB Penthouse was cheaper than two adjoining AG rooms so I opted for the suite. I'm sure our son will put the butler to very good use. :)

We've only sailed Disney before, so I don't have any reference, but like somebody said earlier - for 51 weeks, I have to work hard, have all the answers and make sure things run smoothly. I can't wait to step on board and be doted on for 7 days. Seems worth it at any price.

We're about to book NCL Gem for April 2008 and are debating whether or not upgrading to a suite with butler service. For those of you who have booked suites with butler service, did you feel it was worth the extra $$? What did your butler do that the concierge couldn't handle?

Thanks!

I would book the room because it is a suite and they are really great for the extra room, if you need it. I got a deal on the room last minute. still paid but not at full price. It has now spoiled me. Who wants to go back to the small one rooms after living large in a penthouse. I had 4 in my party and liked the extra room. The butler I had on the POA did very little. She filled my coffee machine... big deal then transfered mid week to the POA. I didn't know what tasks to give her. Next time I think I'd let her take care of the laundry. That would help.

Archived