Cruise vs. All inclusive?

Triptakers

I liked Cruising....there is more to do, the scenery changes and the activities are more my style.
The all inclusive I have been to had really great food, but we got bored with what they had there.
We went "off season" on both by the way. The all inclusive was rather empty...I didnt miss the lines, but I did miss more people in our age to mingle with. Everyone seemed like they wanted to be alone.
The kids club was equally good as far as I can tell....maybe the cruises was a little better but my kids were in different age categories on the two different vacations so it is a little harder to tell.

Sue

NCL Star 1/04
What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Sue makes a good point. I also felt that most people in the All Inclusive setting wanted to be alone. The people on cruises are forced to sit with others at meals and I think there is a general feeling of comraderie (sp?)on the ship.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;09;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until we leave for New Orleans and the Conquest

January 2004 Adventure of the Seas
January 9th 2005 Conquest (Here we come!)

Hm, I didn't get that at all at the spot we went to - we actually met more people at the all inclusive we went to last week than on the W Carib cruise last month. We've exchanged some email addresses, etc.
Guess it depends which one you stay at - so may I add a question? What all inclusive(s) have you visited?
So far, with my limited sample size, I'm loving the all inclusive - we have 2 little kids, wonder if that makes a difference?

Triptakers

Celebrity Mercury 5/01 - Alaska
Carnival Paradise 3/04 - W. Caribbean

My perception may be scewed. We were in an All Inclusive in Cancun in 1993. I had just graduated from college and was there with my family. I never met anyone my age that I had a lasting conversation with even though it was June.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;09;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until we leave for New Orleans and the Conquest

January 2004 Adventure of the Seas
January 9th 2005 Conquest (Here we come!)

I think all inclusive is better for real little one (under 6-7). My parents didn't take me sis and I cruising until we were 7 & 10. It was nice to have a condo like space when we were little, for naps, etc. There was more area to be alone, on the beach etc, and you don't bother people cause of the added space. I think cruising is great for kids, and maybe real little ones that are real mature, otherwise resorts might be better. For teens cruising is better by far, freedom but not too much to get in trouble.

I like both equally. Depends what you are looking for. Relaxing and staying in one spot or island hopping for a week. We alternate between the two. This year is cruise year!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
NCL Majesty

MiamiNicole made a good point. We had a 2 year old and a infant when we were at the all inclusive and it was really easy to get diapers, babyfood (many things at the buffet was suitable for a baby) and our suite was really large to be able to take naps or play. We got a second room for virtually free. The cruise we had an inside room for the same price as the suite and was not so fun to be in there al together.
We went to Club Med Bintan (Indonesia). There was NOTHING to do off the resort as the entire island is there for resorts. But the kids club started at age 2 which a lot of lines do not do. Club med had a lot of sporting things to do but with a small baby, I wish there were more classes, demonstrations, trivia etc....like there was on the cruise.

But overall, we are travellers, not resorters. So we liked waking up in a different place every day on our cruise.

NCL Star 1/04
What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

My DH & I did an all-inclusive in the 80's before we had a child. Compared to cruising the food was better. We were in Cozumel so found many off site activities. People were friendly and organized activities abounded for families, couples, & kids club.
My pastor still enjoys an all inclusive with his children often, since they were little, in the Yucatan Peninsula aea - great prices for families!
At age 7 my daughter loved the cruise - I can't imagine she would have appreciated the different Western Caribbean ports and cultures at an earlier age. I also would not have been as comfortable with the amount of freedom she had on a ship, that becomes part of your daily routine on board.
The ports of call are the primary factor in which cruise we choose, although we also look forward to 4 days at sea this time. so, in that aspect, cruising & all-inclusive is like comparing apples to oranges.
Many people have no issues cruising with small children - only you can judge how it suits your children and parenting style.
Either way you'll cherish your family moments!
Good luck

I'm wanting to explore the all inclusives more (the one we went to was so good) - may I ask which ai your pastor goes to in the Yucatan? And for that matter, what you thought of the one in Coz? I think I'm mostly concerned about cleanliness, etc, since my 2 year old is so close to the floor still. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Thanks!

Triptakers

I will ask my pastor tomorrow - (tho he did say last week that he was away for a week so not sure if that is after services) - or when I next see him - I think he has gone to the same place several years.

The place we stayed was "Club Cozumel Caribe" - not sure if it is still there or renamed - they had a hurricane in that area in the 90's, I believe, and many rebuilt. When we went, the "all inclusive" included drinks and many water sports for an unbelievable price by today's standards!

We have been to both cruises and all-inclusives. They are all fun, and I think it is good to have a mix in life. We have been to a couple of Iberostar Resorts, and to two Beaches. Our children were older teenagers (now early 20's) and a toddler(now 9). The resorts were clean and the food excellent. They were a good value. The cruises are fun too. We have been on the Disney twice (once for each generation of kids), and three Royal Caribbean trips. They are all great, and if you are friendly and want to meet people, it will happen where ever you go. Laura

This is a great question if I had the option I would do 1 cruise and 1 all inclusive per year.
I like cruiseing I consider it an all inclusive Sampler, but I also like the lazy factor of the land only resorts. Of all the places I have been I must add that Club Med kids club is by far the best. I understand Beaches is even better allthought I have never been to one.
We have taken our children to Ixtapa Club Med, Punta Cana Club Med, Allegro Aruba (best food for an all Inclusive but lousy kids club) and last and most definaltly least Starfish Twawlany in Jamiaca (worst vacaton I ever experienced, bad food, dirty rooms and less than great kids club) BTW for those of you in the northeast check out the Rocking Horse Ranch this is a great all Inclusive for kids.

Our children like to cruise and have been on all mentioned below, but non of the Kids Clubs in my opinion compare to Club Med. We will soon try Princess and Royal Carb so who knows maybe I'll revise my opinion.

CCL Inspiration Xmas 01
CCL Triumph July 4 02
CCL Destiny Thanksgiving 02
CCL Victory July 4 03
CCL Glory Aug 23 03
Golden Princess 06/27/04
RC Explorer 08/29/04

Thanks for all the detailed info! May I ask the ages of your kids? Mine are likely still too little to benefit fully from Club Med I bet... (ages 2 & 4)?

Triptakers

I find this subject interesting because hubby and I were looking at some all-inclusives for our family. We didn't find a price we like and our daughter will celebrate her 5th birthday on her 7th cruise. I still would like to try an all-inclusive if the price was right and the timing.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000
Victory 2000 Sensation 2001
Norway 2002 Legend 2002
NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003
Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

My daughter was 22 months when we took her to Ixtapa. I know she does not remember this trip but the care she received was excellent. My husband and I enjoyed ourselves sailing etc. and she was always close by.

Club Med Punta Cana my daughter was 6 and my son was 3, they both still talk about this vacation. Once again the care they received was the best I never felt the least bit worried.

I am a worry wort by nature, I would not even consider leaving my children at home, I want them with me.

I just wish there were more family club meds close by.

• 2 months later...
We like to cruise and are considering an AI vacation for our next trip to the Caribbean. I've always enjoyed the 'private islands' like Coco Cay (RCCL) and Half Moon Cay (HAL) so the idea of spending a week on the beach is enticing.

Has anyone run across a website that is the CriuseCritic equvalent for AI vacations?

We have stayed at a couple AI resorts and been on many cruises. I like them both for different reasons. I look at cruises as a sampler to see where you might want to go back and spend more time. Of course that list is long b/c all the islands are so beautiful that you want to go back. The first AIwe chose one was a Sandals (adult, couples only) on St Lucia. It was very nice for a change. We did not leave the resort the whole time. We needed that kind of vacation where you just chill on the beach and by the pool with a drink all week. Everything at Sandals (and Beaches) are top drawer (gourmet food, premium brand drinks) and you pay dearly for it. The second AI we did was the Iberostar Parisio Beach Resort on the Riviera Maya (just south of Cancun). This one was for families and was about 1/3 of the price of a Sandals. They had a great kids program. The food was good - not top drawer, but very good. The drinks were good not premium brands but once you put it into a blender with some other stuff who cares!! Overall, for the difference in price it was a steal going to the Iberostar. You were treated well by the staff, the food was good and I think they had more group activites at Iberostar.

Our children have been on 2 cruises and will be going on the hawaii cruise in August. We have also been to Beaches Turks&Caicos with the children two years ago and loved it. The kids programs we great. The food was great many diffrent restaurants. They have a kids restaurant that is a ship and the pool is all around it. Our kids loved it.

Archived