Almost 12 on the Sovereign

buccikulju

We are leaving on the Sovereign of the Seas in a few short days. My DS is 14 and my DD is 11...but she is almost 12 and looks 15 (5'4" tall with a size 9 1/2 woman's shoe). She would strongly prefer to be with her brother and the slightly older kids than with the 9 and 10 year olds. How flexible is RCCL and the Adventure Ocean staff in this regard? Anyone have any experience or knowledge about this?

Thank YOU!

Patty

RCCI considers any passenger the age they are on the first day of the cruise, for the entire cruise. No such thing as "almost" 18 or almost 3. They are also very strict with the ages of the kids in the program. If they start making exceptions for one or two, then it would be chaos and everyone would want exceptions to be made----that's why they have to be strict. They know the ages of all kids because of their birth certificates/passports, so there's no fudging on age. They have these requirements for the safety of ALL kids and they don't want any liabilities if a younger child is with an older group and there's a problem with an older child trying things with younger kids.

Two things I have found on my travels on RCL. If you have a sibling in the older group they will consider moving your DD up. Sometimes they will have her go to her age appropriate group and observe her to see her behavior before moving her. Second and some will find this unethical so I will put on my flame retardent vest and continue. You can input your daughter's date of birth one year earlier then it is when you do online check in. They will change it at the pier but the adventure ocean list will generaly all be printed by then and your daughter will be on the 12-14 list. Found this out by accident when a friend by mistake entered the wrong year when checking in online. It also happened to us when last cruise, they thought our DD was 7 when she was 10. I assume it was my error but it could have been anyones. When our DD and DH went to sign up for AO they said you do not look 7 my dd laughed and said that is because I am 10. We had to get her passport to prove it. :) There is of course no garuntee that either of these will work but might be worth a try.

Archived