Miami -Ft Lauderdale Where to fly to?

ginadice

Hi

We are booked on the Majesty of the Sea for May 14 and am trying to book air from New England. I am finding that I can get a good deal to Miami but returning from Ft Lauderdale. Has anyone done this? We would be using RCCL transfers to/from airport. Has this worked for you? Any experiences would be welcome to inform this choice.

Thanks so much!! Gina

My girl and I are flying from vegas to the May 21st majesty... We found a deal from American Airlines 300 per person round trip non stop straight into miami. returning flight also leaves miami. WE tried the fancy travel sights, but when we werent convinced we simply tried the good ole' boys and, magic, we got a good deal. id suggest something as simple as aa.com. i remember reading that its 25 a person for the shuttle from ft.lauderdale to port. thats the rccl shuttle. but dont quote me on that

Try the website called airgorilla dot com they usually have the cheapest flights and look into flying in/out of Ft Lauderdale AND Miami. We live in Nebraska and can fly out of Omaha or Kansas City (KC is 2 hours South but generally saves us $100-150 per person). For us flying into Ft. Lauderdale is 99% of the time cheaper than Miami and they are about a half hour apart from each other. We are going on the SOS this May and I got four RT from KC to Orlando for $772.00 that included all taxes. I know you are not going to Orlando, just letting you know the deal. Check out that airgorilla site, I always start there as that site most always shows me the lowest airfares around!!

Ginadice:

We are also on the Majesty, end of April. We are flying into FLL because the $200+ we are saving looked too good to pass up (and we have time on both ends for the drive/shuttle).

To Miami and back out of FLL is better than the reverse because it cuts down on your hassle getting to the ship on time (for all of those what-ifs:eek: ).

The airlines are making it much easier to book one-way these days. We are actually flying in on a Frontier red-eye and out on Southwest, both purchased direct from the airlines. Also, I've noticed Orbitz seems much more flexible than Travelocity about mixing-matching itineraries (sp?)

You might also consider renting a car to drive back to FLL, especially if you have an afternoon flight and would rather take a leisurely sightseeing drive back than sit around the airport (cost $40-50, comparable to shuttle).

We've been reading these boards for a while and people have offered loads of great options and their experiences. Have a great cruise!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

We book our flights through RCCL, even if they cost more, as it is a matter of their insurance. We do custom air with them, and all I can tell you is the distance between FLL and MIA is the same. We're booked on the Liberty of the Seas August 11, 2007, and we have to fly in FLL, and return MIA.

We have done it both ways. On our last cruise leaving out of Miami, we flew into Fort Lauderdale and flew back home out of Miami. The cruise before that we left out of Fort Lauderdale but flew into Miami both ways.

It works out fine, FLL is about 30 miles from the Port of Miami and MIA is about 30 miles from Port Everglades. I don't recommend using RCI transfers, though. You have to wait to fill up the bus and load all the luggage, etc.

We usually get a limo from the airport to the ship, but taxis are much cheaper and they have always worked out fine, too. We usually pay about $100 from the airport to the port when we get a limo, but it is only about $35 for a taxi from FLL to Miami.

Archived