Cruiselines tours in Egypt and Turkey

Due to the political climate in Egypt you should definitely use either the cruiseline's tour or hire a licensed registered Egyptian guide. Last November, when I went, We used Nile Blue -they were wonderful and we saved a lot of money over the cruiseline's tour. We did an overnight in Cairo. Egypt requires their guides to be registered and any tours done are done as part of an armed convoy -our bus stayed with the cruiseline's buses, at least on the way from the port to Cairo. We also had an armed guard on our bus at all times.

In Istanbul, you can hire a driver to take you anywhere the cruiseline does. I have been to Istanbul several times and I this time, I toured the city on my own, using the local transportation (rails, walking, etc.). I found it to be very safe and welcoming. Ephesus can also be done with a private guide. Turkey is so very different than Egypt in terms of political climate, but the people of both countries are both very warm and welcoming. You will enjoy these ports.

Jeana

We got a private guide that has been recommended several times on this board. It is DeCastro in Egypt. He is very good about replying right back to me. I picked this cruise because I wanted to stop in Egypt. We will be there from 8am till 10pm. It is about an 3 hour drive from Alexandria to Cairo.

There are several great threads here on the board regarding recommended private tours in both countries.

Just as an aside, if you plan to use a private tour company you need to understand what the cancellation policy is if your ship cannot dock as planned. Hope this doesn't happen but it can and does happen that a cruiseship is unable to dock because of either weather or political unrest.

Enjoy your cruise. Egypt sounds fabulous.

Julia

Archived