Destiny review 2/3/07 sailing very long

deeolasingh

A little about me and the group I traveled with I turned 35 while on this cruise my DH is 40 we traveled with my aunt (45) her best friend (39) and co worker of my DH and his girlfriend both around 25

Im happy to report that I had a wonderful cruise on Destiny 02/04/07 sailing I did have one of the many issues discussed here the AC was not that cold when we boarding and the cabin steward was there and I mentioned it to him and as we went off the ship for about two hours to get some water and soda the problem was fixed. We actually had to turn it down cause it was getting to cold another issue I had was the TV only showed 3 channels also mention it to Michael our cabin steward and almost instantly the TV was exchanged..

Now for my very long review:

Day 1 leaving home, left Allentown Pa at around 7 PM to NYC for an early morning flight our of JFK note we were battling the snow on the way down. Got to NYC around 10PM stayed the night at my sister in laws house she lives 10 minutes from the airport got to bed around 1 AM

Day 2 was up by 5:45AM to the airport by 6:45 and boarding the airplane by 8:20 the flight was delayed by an hour due to congestion on the runway…. didn’t leave until 9:45 but after the delay the flight was uneventful we landed in San Juan at 2:05 pm and were at the hotel by 3:10 We stayed at the San Juan Beach Hotel nice place for a 1 to 2 night stay great location nice scenic beach out back now swimming allowed by there very rocky but beautiful to look at.. Went out for lunch a block away from hotel did a little walking and picture taking and then back to hotel for a cat nap… went out again for dinner around 8:30 took a short cab ride to Isla Verde to this place called Oysters bar and grill food was really good then back to the hotel did a little more walking and more pics then off to bed….

Day 3 boarding day…. Was up around 7:30 went to the window a to my surprise there she was in the distance Destiny what a sight I grabbed my camera and took a quick photo woke DH up got a dress and out we were down the block to Starbucks for some coffee then a quick walk down the block to beach sat and enjoyed our coffee while taking in the view and getting some more pics then back to hotel for check out at noon and off the ship. Got to the port around 12:20 and was on board by 1:15 we were number 18 at the check in counter we check it to…. Up to the lido deck for lunch during that time my aunt and her best friend arrived at the ship by 2:30. We went to check to see if the cabin was ready and it was so we dropped off our carry ons and to our surprise our luggage was there waiting I was done unpacking by 3:15 and the off to Walgreen to get some water, soda, cranberry juice and pineapple juice for my Malibu bay breezes that I planned to enjoy in my cabin… I wondered why is booze smuggling such a big issue if while you are waiting to board the ship you are encouraged to buy booze and take it in they guarentee that it will get by so long as its in your carry on.. Back on board around 6:00 then gathered all the travelers and of to the dinning room to request a dinning time change we requested late seating and were given early that was changed before the night was over they had open seating this night and dinner was good… then off to lido deck for sail away there was a RC ship in port that left before us, was amazing how close that ship came toward us my DH missed the sail away as he was watching the super bowl… after sail away went off to cabin for a shower and then bed I was very tired and want to get a good nights sleep. Carnival sure does have very comfy beds…..

Day 4 St Thomas a place I like to call paradise…. Was up early off to the lido deck for breakfast then off to the beach… on my last visit to St Thomas I visited sapphire beach and that was beautiful, this time we went to Meagans bay when we got the sun was not shining so the bay look grey and gloomy so I felt a little disappointment but as soon as the sun began to shine the waters came to life what a beautiful place….. There were so many fish in the water and the brown pelicans where loving it. It was the coolest thing to watch them dive into the water for fish. We stayed on the beach till about 3:30 then back to the port to get in a little shopping then back on ship for the muster drill we left that port a little after 5 note the cab driver made a few stop on the way to the port so that we could get some good pictures of Destiny while in port… after the muster drill we off to the lido deck to grab a snack the off to my cabin for a shower and a nap before dinner… dinner was really good and so was dessert I opt for the chocolate melting cake almost every night with an extra side of ice cream… after dinner did a little shopping then off to bed…

Day 5 Dominica nice lush island but not for me Im more the lay out on the beach type and I think that there is only one beach on the island and it’s a black sand beach just no interest I did get off the ship and did a little local walking and picture taking….. They really have this pretty emerald green colored water we got to see a little sea turtle swimming on the surface of the water I actually got a pic of it from the lido deck that actually came out very nice I basically took this day to enjoy the ship…. Did the sail away then off for a shower and get ready for dinner tonight was formal night and I had a surf and turf after dinner off to get some formal picture then off to change into something more comfy then we went down to the palladium lounge for a dance show and the an R rated comedy show it was about 1:30 before we got back into our cabin.

Day 6 Barbados what a wonderful place I did a private island tour for about 2-3 hours that ended up in Malibu beach what a beautiful beach. It rained a little today but otherwise the weather was good… spent about 3 hours at the beach I only have 1 complaint the local were really annoying when it

Came to them trying to sell the use of the jet ski’s then off to the ship did a little shopping and then up to the lido deck for the sail away and some really nice sunset pics then off to my cabin for a cocktail and to get ready for dinner after dinner tonight we went on photo search found a couple and purchased them then we went to the palladium for deal or no deal then a juggling show after the show we went to our cabin and got ready for bed

Day 7 St Lucia and my birthday today we decided not to stray to far from the ship so DH and I decided to walk into town instead of getting the water taxi we walk through all the little make shift shops and market place bought a few knick knacks then off to the mall while at mall my DH bought me a nice gift he got me a Movado watch…. Then we took the water taxi back to the ship and spent the rest of the day on the ship. Today they had the hairy chest contest which was very funny… we pretty much relaxed and enjoyed the ship for the second time this week.. Went back to the cabin around 6:30 to get ready for dinner to day was the second formal night and some one had a cake delivered to my table our waiters and a few others san happy birthday too after dinner we took a few pictures and then off to change into something more comfy and we were on our way to catch the comedy show which was excellent… it was a midnight show so it was pretty late by the time the show was over. After the show DH and I hit the lido deck for a little while then we went back to our cabin for bed

Day 8 Antigua another place that I have dubbed paradise 2 (after this visit cause the first visit did nothing for me) we did a little shopping before hitting the beach cause the shops close at 5 in this port once done shopping we got a cab and went to Pineapple beach resort and purchased a day pass for 49.50 per person but everything I mean everything was included all drinks and meals use of snorkeling gear, parasailing, kayaking and resort amenities that was definitely worth every penny. The views were awesome the beach was beautiful and the water was perfect we spent the whole day there we wanted to leave around 4 cause even though they claimed it to be a 20 minute ride there seemed to be an awful lot of construction cause the have built a new stadium for cricket and the traffic was crazy we were to be back to the ship by 5:30 and it was almost 4:45 and we still didn’t have a cab we all kinda began to worry cause all we had on us was our sign and sail card and a photo ID finally got a cab and were back at the gangway at 5:25 with around 100 other people…. Once back on board I went up to the lido deck to watch the last sail away then off to the laundry mat to get my laundry done then back to the cabin for a shower and get ready for dinner this evening the wait staff put on a very cute show for us. Tonight was Destiny Idol and I don’t know how I managed to stay up for the entire I was beat I think it was a combination of the few daiquiris I had the sun and all the water play that we did I could wait to get to bed…

Day 9 fun day at sea was up early to hit the sale bought few things then up to the lido deck for breakfast and off to the palladium for bingo then debarkation talk I spent this day catching up on rest and lounging on the lido deck this was a slow day the ship was traveling at minimal speeds I had my bags packed by 2PM dinner was good tonight as it had been all week they had a magic show tonight at the palladium it was ok I was tired so I turned in early….

Day 10 debarkation day this went very smooth we were off the ship by 10:30 and at the airport by 1:15 glad we got to the airport so early cause it was crazy there were people everywhere… our flight was delayed by ½ hour and the flight was about 4 hours long and then the car ride home was about 3 hours this made for a very long day…..

This was a great cruise and I must say that as a latina I was the minority on this cruise it seem like 70% of the passengers were from Canada. I would definitely cruise Destiny again. The entire staff was extremely friendly and my waiter and cabin steward knew me by name and that made for a special feel…

Any questions please feel free to ask away… we stayed in an inside cabin # 6284

Great review!!!! So glad you took the time out to post it all!!!

It's a shame you didnt get off to see dominica... i think thats the port im looking foward to the most... it'll be nice for a change to be in the caribbean and not go to a beach hehe different experience, but i guess its not for everyone

I still think im just going to pack the booze in the checked luggage once i get into san juan although you arent the first one to say that you can buy it in the duty free and stick it in your bag.

I'll be in st thomas on my bday (also a bday cruise for me!!!) Never been there b4 and im happy to hear how gorgeous it is.

The day pass for antigua sounds like a really good deal!!! I just am not sure at this point if my group wants to limit themselves to one place on the island. What were the times that you could stay there from? Were all alcoholic drinks included? Are you sure parasailing and kayaking was included? These are def things that I would expect to be an additional fee for!

----

Thanks again for the wonderful review!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEW! I knew you would have it done before we left for our 2/18/07 sail away.......now for sure we can't wait to go. I am so glad you had a great birthday and what a nice gift to get on your birthday. My DH and I plan on enjoying more ship time on this trip. We do plan to get off on the islands, but not spend the entire day on them. He is not a true beach person so for him 2 hours is long enough! We only have 1 tour scheduled which is for Domicia with Beno. The other islands we are just going to wing it. Happy belated Brithday! Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience!!!!!!!! I can almost see my deck chair now!!!!

Good review, BTW the hotel you stayed how much was it?

We paid 190.00 for the night it was the cheapest I could find at the time...

Thanks for the review!! How much was the cab to Pineapple Beach?

It was 8.00 per person each way...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEW! I knew you would have it done before we left for our 2/18/07 sail away.......now for sure we can't wait to go. I am so glad you had a great birthday and what a nice gift to get on your birthday. My DH and I plan on enjoying more ship time on this trip. We do plan to get off on the islands, but not spend the entire day on them. He is not a true beach person so for him 2 hours is long enough! We only have 1 tour scheduled which is for Domicia with Beno. The other islands we are just going to wing it. Happy belated Brithday! Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience!!!!!!!! I can almost see my deck chair now!!!!

Thanks for the Bday wishes...

Great review!!!! So glad you took the time out to post it all!!!

It's a shame you didnt get off to see dominica... i think thats the port im looking foward to the most... it'll be nice for a change to be in the caribbean and not go to a beach hehe different experience, but i guess its not for everyone

I still think im just going to pack the booze in the checked luggage once i get into san juan although you arent the first one to say that you can buy it in the duty free and stick it in your bag.

I'll be in st thomas on my bday (also a bday cruise for me!!!) Never been there b4 and im happy to hear how gorgeous it is.

The day pass for antigua sounds like a really good deal!!! I just am not sure at this point if my group wants to limit themselves to one place on the island. What were the times that you could stay there from? Were all alcoholic drinks included? Are you sure parasailing and kayaking was included? These are def things that I would expect to be an additional fee for!

----

Thanks again for the wonderful review!!!

Yes it was all included in the price the Pineapple beach resort is an all inclusive resort now we got there after 10:30am so it was 49.50 per person if you get there by 9:00am it was a little more cant really remember how much more but I dont believe it was more than 8.00 to 10.00 more they make you sign a wavier of some kind before you can use the equipment... it was really worth the $ at one point a resort employee was teaching a dance class that was open to everyone on the beach.... and the food was good the main restaurant had a buffet style lunch that was very tasty.... the snack shack had fish and chips chicken fingers burgers sandwiches ect..... and the alcoholic beverages were not watered down trust me....

It sounds like you have a great cruise. My husband and I are in cabin 6292, did you hear alot of noise from the dance club while you were in your cabin?:D

We did hear a little noise but nothing that was out of this world... I slept through it all no problem and Im a light sleeper.... Yes I did have a great cruise I wish I was on her right now after the winter storm we just had....

You will have a wonderful time.....

In Antigua, what resort did you go to at Pineapple beach? Was it the Grand Occidental Pineapple Beach resort? The reason why I ask is because I read your review and the parasailing/snorkeling/kayaking is right up my alley. However I can't seem to find any information that shows that they offer these activities to visitors at an all-inclusive rate. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...

Hi!!! Thank you for such a thorough and helpful review!! I noticed you stayed in room 6284 right above the disco... You didn't mention anything about noise. Being right above the parties, could you hear the music and noise right below you or was it nice and quiet? I just want to make sure that it's at least not so bad that I wouldn't be able to sleep. I'm a pretty light sleeper:)

Can you help?

Thank you!

Archived