Roll call Mariner April 9, 2007

ricki

Welcome aboard! So far we are the only cc members who are on this cruise. I've been posting this query for a few months and you were my first response!

This is our first Regent cruise--have you sailed on them before. We've been sailing Crystal exclusively for the past 12 years, but it will be nice to try another ship. I'm traveling with my husband David, my brother and his wife and my mother and her companion.

Any Regent things I should know about?

Ricki

Ricki, too funny: I'm also traveling with my husband David, a brother, a sister, and a mother! More accurately, my dear mother-in-law is celebrating her birthday the day we’re in Cozumel, and the rest of us --her three adult children and their partners-- are coming along just to be sure she has the time of her life (or dies of embarrassment!).

This will be our third Regent cruise; we prefer Regent to Silversea, but it's a close call. Unlikely to cruise Crystal simply because of assigned seating.

Regent things, hmmm. Always willing to accommodate special requests (mine are usually lamb chops or fruit smoothies at breakfast, sushi or poisson cru at lunch). Room service’ caviar is delicious and nicely presented (there may be a charge?). Staff and officers generally quite visible and sociable (we’ve been kayaking with the captain, shopping with the cruise director, all quite spontaneously). Ships excursions quite good. Trivia a riot, though occasionally vicious. Tea is terrific, not so over the top. Specific questions? Ask away.

Cerinda

event.png

Hi Cerinda,

How neat that you are traveling with siblings, sibling-in-laws, and your mother, too. I hope to wish her happy birthday in Cozumel. It must be a special birthday.

Our mom is a fairly spry 89 and we really hope she enjoys this cruise. My step-dad passed away last August and was ill for the last two years. They had only been married since 1999. She hasn't been on a vacation in several years and she has always enjoyed Crystal, but I think, judging from your comments, she will like Regent as well.

I'm surprised that there are no formal nights aboard, but not really unhappy about it. It will make packing that much easier.

Where are you all from? Are you flying down the day of the cruise?

It's getting close!

Ricki

Ricki,

How lovely that your mother is able to get back to cruising! I can't imagine that any sophisticated traveler --if he or she is willing to forego the “big ship” experience that Crystal offers (the elegant formal evenings, traditional dining room seating, the top-flight lecturers and entertainers, etc.)— wouldn’t enjoy Regent as well. I think your mother will like the Mariner, and I think David’s mother will, too. Actually, I’m hoping to get the whole family hooked.

One of the reasons we prefer Regent IS the informality of the Alaskan, Polynesian, and Caribbean itineraries: we go to plenty of formal events here at home, and have no desire to lug that extra luggage all the way across the United States. Upper left to lower right hand corner is a long, long way (the rest of the family flies from New York and the Midwest). This trip will be easier than some we’ve taken: we’re flying in early, and only have to change planes once.

What made you choose this particular itinerary? Have you been to these ports before?

And if you really want to learn to spell “cocktail,” maybe we should meet for coctails on our first sea day and ask the bartender in the Mariner Lounge for a tutorial on correct cocktale spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I think I probably need remedial education: I don’t even know the difference between a lemon drop and a martini.

Cerinda

event.png

It would be great to meet for cocktails and get to know someone right away. One of the best things about our cruise last December (Crystal Symphony Tampa to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal) was that there were 61 cruise critic members on board. We made so many friends and Crystal wined and dined us with multiple cocktail parties, a martini party with the vice president of Crystal and two parties in the Captain's quarters. Crystal is very savvy re: the power of cruise critic postings. We had a terrific time and are cruising in December on a trans-Atlantic with a couple we met on board. Although we didn't go to the same ports as on April's cruise, it was partially a Western Caribbean cruise, so some of the shore excursions will be repeats for us, i.e. walk in the rain forest, swim with the stingrays, etc. We were in Cozumel and Key West on another Crystal cruise 2 years ago. I would have preferred an Eastern Caribbean 10 night cruise this time, but my brother, who is a dentist, didn't want to be away from his practice that long, so this itinerary was the only choice that was convenient for him. To be honest, I enjoy the sea days more than the ports. I was looking forward to the lecturer from the Cousteau Society, but now I don't see it offered for our cruise. Maybe I got our cruise confused with an earlier cruise.

We like the idea that there is no need to pack a tux or formal gowns, this will be a nice change to have only informal and country club casual.

You do have a long trip to Florida. Will you arrive the day before? We're flying down embarkation day am, hopefully there won't be any delays. Generally we like to arrive the day before, but we thought the non-stop flight and then an immediate transfer to the ship might be less tiring for my mom.

We, too, like the idea that there is no need to pack a tux or formal gowns, this will be a nice change to have only informal and country club casual.

Off to bed now, I have jury duty beginning tomorrow despite the holiday. I'm not exactly looking forward to it.

Ricki

Ricki,

The one time we were able to do a non-stop on embarkation morning, we used Regent's transfer. Yes, it cost a little more (and it was a coach instead of a private car), but they handled everything SO GRACEFULLY, so graciously, so quickly. If you're trying to spare your mother extra exertion, you might want to use them. Just a suggestion. And you're flying from where?

Cerinda

Hi Cerinda,

We are using Regent's air and transfer services, so the transfer to the ship should run very smoothly. We fly non-stop from Memphis and it's a little over two hours. We did pay $100 extra per person for Regent Custom Air to get the non-stop flight, otherwise Regent would have routed us through Atlanta and I didn't want to chance any delays or missed flights. The airfare that Regent offered was very inexpensive anyway. Northwest is the only direct carrier out of Memphis, all other airlines use small planes and send us to a hub and then off to your destination.

Are you flying from Seattle? When you said the northwest most corner, I thought of Seattle or Portland.

Jury duty so far was relatively painless. They selected about 20 people for the grand jury and then another 60 for criminal court today. My name wasn't drawn. They dismissed us at noon, but we have to be back tomorrow am.

Isn't it funny that nobody else from cruise critic has responded to this roll call?

Have you selected any shore excursions?

Ricki

Ricki,

Your air arrangements sound ideal. We fly from Portland through Dallas on the way down, through LA on the way back. No matter how you slice it, it's a full 8 hours just for the flights and layovers. I'm not whining though; I'm absolutely delighted to be going.

As far as excursions go, I have a slightly different agenda than the rest of the family on this trip. They're all going for sun and relaxation; I'm going for the astonishing archeological sites. We're still negotiating who is going where with whom on what day! We have only two definite plans so far: six of us will take a charter to snorkel the reefs off Cozumel; two of us will take the 10 hour expedition to Tikal (if enough passengers sign up to run the trip!) from Santo Tomas de Castilla. Like you, I really enjoy sea days; Key West may be an additional one for me.

Good luck tomorrow: jury duty is an important responsibility, but (in my experience) quite a drag.

Cerinda

event.png

Hi Cerinda,

Well, jury duty was mostly a case of "hurry up and wait." I was excused yesterday after 30 of us were taken to criminal court to be interviewed by the judge and lawyers. Fortunately, I was among the 16 who were in reserve in the gallery and ultimately all of us were sent home and they were able to staff a jury from the original 14 who were questioned. I can't say I was disappointed.

Your choices of shore excursions sound great. We are thinking of doing the snorkeling off of Cozumel. I think we may have an opportunity to do it on Roatan, also. I don't know if you are a shopper, but someone posted on the Belize site, that there are great knock-off purses available in the tourist village at the pier. I think I might have to check it out.

You sure do have a long travel day. I don't envy that. But just think, if you do a Panama Canal cruise starting on the east coast, you may end up closer to home. When we did the Panama Canal in December, we ended up in LA, so we had to travel! Do you live in Portland? Our daughter graduated from U of O and owned a restaurant in Portland for 5 years, Kitchen Venus. She actually sold it and made a profit. She was only 25 when she opened it and got a lot of coverage in the press, partially because it was such a cute restaurant and the food was good, and partially because she was so young.

Our son-in-law is actually in Portland this weekend for a reunion concert of his old band.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Ricki,

This is just TOO much coincidence! I know of another fellow passenger (on another board) with a daughter in Portland. And while I know Portland's the world’s biggest small town, I just didn’t realize that cyberspace was, too. Funny.

And who is your son-in-law’s band? Are they playing TONIGHT by chance? Where?

Cerinda

event.png

Hi Cerinda.

Ted's band is "Satan's Pilgrims"---I am sort of reluctant to tell people the name, but the guys are very wholesome kids, now married with kids of their own. They are not heavy metal or Satanists, just an unfortunate (in my book) choice of names. The music is primarily instrumental like The Ventures. They played in Portland last night and are playing in Seattle Saturday (tonight).

Portland is a terrific city and has so much to offer. I used to love visiting there.

Are you in Portland itself? I am sure we have some of the same favorite restaurants.

Ricki

Ricki,

I'm sorry I missed the band; that would've been fun.

You're right that Portland's a terrific town for a foodie: Paley's and Wildwood in northwest; all the family-friendly places around Irvington; new places on Alberta almost monthly; East Burnside is really hopping--all the local fashion designers are clustered around Doug Fir, and interesting restaraunts extend well past 28th now; then you find Castagna, Three Doors Down, Yorio, and the Screen Door right here in my part of the inner Eastside. Shopping continues to improve in the Hawthorne District, too: we've had a good produce market and bakery in the neighborhood forever, but recently have acquired a new wine shop and fabulous new grocery.

But the hottest spots in town now are those serving southern cooking. How's that for a change?

Cerinda

event.png

Hi Cerinda and Ricki - Portland IS a great city – and it sounds like a common thread on our upcoming Mariner cruise! I had a terrific time visiting there last month (even though our computer suffered a total harddrive failure while I was gone... no recoverable data…ugh) and look forward to returning in the fall. Right now, though, it’s countdown to the Mariner in April!

Hope to see you all onboard! Mia

Mia, fancy seeing you here!

Ricki, Mia is the fellow passenger I refered to above! Small world, small cyberspace indeed.

Well you two, is it cocktails or tea that Tuesday?

Cerinda

event.png

Hi Cerinda and Mia,

Can that be right? Wow, it's closer than I thought.

Let's meet for drinks on Tuesday, will that work for you both?

Mia, welcome aboard! Sorry about your computer melt-down, but glad you liked Portland. Cerinda and I were talking about the yummy restaurants in Portland. We loved Wildwood! Jakes was fun for great clam chowder. And there were some terrific Japanese places. Samantha used to take us to a terrific Vietnamese restaurant, but I can't recall the name. I also love the Hungarian mushroom soup and chocolate cake from Old Wives Tales. There are so many new and hip places that have opened in the 8 years since we've been there. Memphis has a few decent places, but as my DH, David, likes to say, "Memphis has three main food groups: fried, deep-fried and BBQ!" It's the only place in the country where macaroni and cheese is listed under vegetables!

My email is ricki@aol.com if you would prefer to email. Really looking forward to meeting both of you and yours.:)

Ricki

Good morning!

Ricki: Yes, the harddrive failure has been a nightmare ... especially the data loss. Cerinda: Some of us first "met" here on cruisecritic a few years ago!

Tuesday for drinks sounds great! I guess now we just need to choose a time and place; our last two trips have been on Voyager, but if I remember correctly, Mariner has some really great locations ... suggestions?

Mark and I look forward to meeting you all! Mia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cerinda and Mia!

Wow, our cruise is getting closer! It seemed so far away when we first started posting about it.

Have you thought about what you are going to pack? I am determined NOT to overpack this time. I am most guilty when it comes to shoes. Remind me that I don't need so many pair, please!

Hope you all are having fun!

Ricki

Now , Ricki, you need every last pair of them! I know I do!

shoes for dinner: one beige, one black

shoes for daytime: one beige, one black

shoes for the pool (flip flops)

shoes for the gym (sneakers)

shoes for boating/beaching (tevas)

shoes for snorkeling (water socks)

"But, sweetheart, I HAVE cut back this time..." ;)

event.png

Cerinda,

You're letting me down. You listed only 8 pairs of shoes! Now you know that is barely enough! And why only the practical, coordinating colors of beige and black??? Obviously, you are unwilling to bring another entire suitcase devoted to carrying your shoe wardrobe! Where are the hiking boots? The rain boots? The snow boots? The loafers? The saddle shoes? The oxfords? The mules? The slides? The strappy sandals? The spectator pumps? The golf shoes? The baseball cleats? The wedgies? The platform shoes? The running shoes? The cross trainers? The ballet slippers? The toe shoes? The blue suede shoes? The moccasins? The tap shoes? The snow shoes????

Not to mention the colors!!!

I am going to try to follow your lead. David will be so happy!

Ricki:D

Now, Ricki, don't be hard on me: I actually AM considering bringing my hiking boots for the "Tikal by Air in Depth - Ten hours, more walking" excursion.

And my Tevas have maroon straps and my flip flops have blue ones, so not everything is a boring neutral.

May I please have permission to bring my own flippers? They're a fabulous neon pink and match my snorkel and mask exactly.

Honestly, we do bring a whole suitcase (a small suitcase) of nothing but shoes, snorkel gear, books, and assorted electronica. It weighs over 40 lbs., has to go to the luggage repair about every third trip, but it does help deal with the airlines' weight restrictions.

Ack! I'd better add picking up the luggage at the repair shop to my to do list...

event.png

Archived