Never have sailed on Holland - Seeking Some Advice & Opinions

TeeBuccs

My DH and I are looking to go on another Alaskan cruise in 2008 and interested in some of the itineraries that HAL does. We have sailed multiple times with Carnival (not my favorite) and RCCL (which we do prefer). We are late 30's - early 40's and I am curious if we would fit in on HAL.

Since I don't have any experience with HAL, can anyone shed some light on a comparision between this and other lines that sail to AK or elsewhere? I am curious about accomodations, on board activities, dining and demographics.

Thanks in advance for any input and experiences!

Iced in, in VA~

HAL has some of the biggest cabins for the various categories that you will find. They have the best beds! :) Linens, towels, lotions & potions in the bath are very, very nice.

The ships are of a "traditional" nature---lots of woods and brass, fresh flowers, artwork, quiet nooks and crannies where you can read or hold a pleasant conversation.

The passengers tend to be older, on average, than other cruiselines. They are well-travelled and interesting to be around. They do not tend to stay out and party all night---especially on an Alaska itinerary.

Now, this is not to discourage you from HAL. I've been sailing HAL quite happily since I was in my early 30's (long, long ago ;) ). Alaska is one of few itineraries where I feel the ports are the destination---as opposed to the ship being the destination. It's an area where you want to be up and at 'em early in the morning, and need to get to bed at a (more or less :D ) reasonable hour.

I don't remember participating in on-board activities when I sailed Alaska last July---I was too busy enjoying the great outdoors. I'm sure there was trivia and the other usual games. There's a library with a great internet center and coffee bar.

Food is always subjective, but I'm a finicky eater and have never missed a meal on HAL. I've been happy, or better, with most of them.

HAL has some of the biggest cabins for the various categories that you will find. They have the best beds! :) Linens, towels, lotions & potions in the bath are very, very nice.

The ships are of a "traditional" nature---lots of woods and brass, fresh flowers, artwork, quiet nooks and crannies where you can read or hold a pleasant conversation.

The passengers tend to be older, on average, than other cruiselines. They are well-travelled and interesting to be around. They do not tend to stay out and party all night---especially on an Alaska itinerary.

Now, this is not to discourage you from HAL. I've been sailing HAL quite happily since I was in my early 30's (long, long ago ;) ). Alaska is one of few itineraries where I feel the ports are the destination---as opposed to the ship being the destination. It's an area where you want to be up and at 'em early in the morning, and need to get to bed at a (more or less :D ) reasonable hour.

I don't remember participating in on-board activities when I sailed Alaska last July---I was too busy enjoying the great outdoors. I'm sure there was trivia and the other usual games. There's a library with a great internet center and coffee bar.

Food is always subjective, but I'm a finicky eater and have never missed a meal on HAL. I've been happy, or better, with most of them.

You summed it up so well I can't think of anything to add except "Amen!" :D

Ruth C gives you some great advice about HAL. She is right on target.

Just keep in mind that HAL generally attracts more experienced travelers. It is not as lively as Carnival, but it is a lot more pleasant in my opinion.

HAL ships carry from 1,200 to 1,800 passengers whereas the other cruise lines operate much larger ships with up to 3,000 passengers. For me, that makes a huge difference in the quality of the cruise experience.

If I had to describe the HAL cruise in one word, it would be "traditional".

I hope you cruise HAL and you have a great time.

My DH and I are looking to go on another Alaskan cruise in 2008 and interested in some of the itineraries that HAL does. We have sailed multiple times with Carnival (not my favorite) and RCCL (which we do prefer). We are late 30's - early 40's and I am curious if we would fit in on HAL.

Since I don't have any experience with HAL, can anyone shed some light on a comparision between this and other lines that sail to AK or elsewhere? I am curious about accomodations, on board activities, dining and demographics.

Thanks in advance for any input and experiences!

Iced in, in VA~

The only time youwil run into the older crowd, I am one of them, is on the

longer cruises of 10 days or more. Generally there is a good mix of age groups

on HAL. We have had great cruises including thelast one of 21 days over

Christmas and New Years. Have Fun!

We have sailed HAL, RCL and Celebrity. We are your age and since you mentioned your age (which to me infers that you are wondering the age of others), I don't think it's unfair to say that you will be among the very youngest on the ship. We had heard that HAL caters to an older clientele but were reaching out to a younger one. It hasn't worked, in our experience. Our seven day caribbean on one of HAL's largest ships had an average age near seventy.

Our HAL room was the same size as our RCL ones and the bedding is comparable to the new RCL bedding (although still far superior to Celebrity's). Our friends had an inside room and they were larger than RCL insides. The food on HAL was the best of the three and the entertainment was just awful. High Schools have put on better musicals. The specialty room on HAL is comparable to Chops on RCL but is $30 v. $20 at Chops. The Celebrity room is a much better way to spend $30. HAL had a very friendly crew but we have found that to be the case wherever we sail.

Basically, we found that there was very little "to do" on Hal. The daily program schedule was one double spaced page (in a large font). On other lines, we have always had to choose between the two or three activities being offered at the moment whereas on HAL, the only activity being offered can be something as simple as "sign out a board game." There are the traditional art auctions, bingos (with bingo announcements just before them), pool games, and all the rest. Heck, on our sailing there was even a rubber chicken tossing contest in the main atrium. Our complaint was that these things tend to happen one at a time and if you don't like what is happening, you're left waiting for something else because alternatives are lacking.

If I were your age (and I am) and were going to Alaska, I would go on one of RCL's Radiance class ships.

Pictures and cruise documents can be found in my signature if you would like to compare lines.

... and were going to Alaska, I would go on one of RCL's Radiance class ships.

I go to Alaska for the scenery, not the ship, and the smaller the better! I don't care about the entertainment or the activities on board - just give me good food and a quiet place to sleep at night! :D

I go to Alaska for the scenery, not the ship, and the smaller the better! I don't care about the entertainment or the activities on board - just give me good food and a quiet place to sleep at night! :D

I think your attitude represents the HAL cruiser well and will inform the OP.

We did the Inside Passage last year and loved every minute. This itinenary attacks more diverse passengers that the typical HAL cruise. People of all ages were on board. One thing most of us had in common was the interest in the landscape and critters that inhabit the area. There was a naturalist on board to talk about the glaciers and wildlife. We saw whales, eagles, seals, bears, a wolf! Actually, the very last thing I wanted to see was Team Trivia, The New Newlywed game, Game Show Mania or the Scavenger Hunt. Different strokes! I did attend one Show and found it entertaining. One of my favorite thinks was to sit on deck, wrapped in a wool blanket, sipping pea soup or hot chocolate and watch the magnificient sceanery pass by. Next time I will do the HAL cruise and land tour combination. However you decide to go, I know you'll fall in love with Alaska as I did.

I was 26 (half a lifetime ago ;) ) on my first cruise - HAL to Alaska. DH and I have been back to Alaska on HAL 4 more times since then. We are noticing more and more family groups (of ALL ages) on the Alaskan cruises. Two of my half-sisters (then ages 28 & 32) were part of our family group on one cruise. they had a WONDERFUL time. Before we sailed, I had warned them that they would be among the youngest adults on board. Asking them after if it had affected their vacations (since it seems to be a MAJOR concern for some on the boards), they both said it didn't bother them at all (they did say that the noise from the Crow's Nest kept them awake some nights as their cabin was one of the bow facing cabins, 2 decks below, on the Verandah Deck). Actually, one of them later picked a HAL 10-day cruise for her honeymoon.

What RuthC and jtl513 have said sums it up.

Our first HAL will be in March, so I'll have to wait to give an opinion. That being said, we did the Inside Passage on the Sun Princess and loved everything about it. Lots to do both onboard and off. IMHO the itinerary is what you should consider - Glacier Bay is not to be missed on any Alaska cruise.

I don't know about all the other ships, I am down at the bottom of the world. However, last September we did b 2 b on the Statendam. First to Alaska and then Vancouver back to Auckland.

I can tell you this, I really loved and enjoyed Alaska, the ship and the loads of interesting people we met. I prefer the company of younger people, I don't need to be reminded of my own passing of time. This I found in abundance, in fact I am still in email contact with some of the young folk we met. We also enjoyed the entertainment on both segments, but like previous posters have said, we went for the experence of Alaska and would have loved a lot more time to explore this fascinating land. Seven days IMO was not nearly long enough.

On the next leg I was not so comfortable with the pax mix, it was a whole different experience, in fact it seemed to me a ship load of unbelievably rude people.

As someone who has cruised with all of the major lines, I find HAL to be best suited to the independent traveller who is not in need of many diversions.

Their beds are the best at sea and their cabins spacious and well appointed. I like the traditional elegance and less crowded ships. I like the rare announcements and lack of garage sales.

If you like RCI, I am not sure how you will like HAL. I no longer cruise with RCI myself, as I do not care for the family emphasis, the lack of any dress standards in the dining room, the t shirt sales by the pool, constant annoucements, etc., as well as the downgrading of food, wine service and dining overall.

It is a different experience to be sure and one that I prefer. I have 49 cruises with RCI and they used to be a favorite but that was a long time ago.

HAL Rocks. 40 something here, just ready for my second cruise-- YIPPEEEE. Both on HAL.

There were older people on board on our first cruise, but there are quite a few things I like about that. Fewer children and its not about partying like a rock star. People are considerate, and traditional, but if you like to party like a rock star likely you will find some youngins' or some party type olders... But, thankfully, it does not seem like the craziness of other lines.

Very happy with first cruise on Zuiderdam. Good food, great service, excellent suite, HMC rocked, I can't say a bad thing about my first cruise... not one thing.

I go to decompress-- its actually hard for me to get off at the ports, because I know that I'd have the ship to myself, so to speak.

I wish it was Saturday. :D

We enjoyed our first HAL cruise on the Oosterdam this past January (we are both 50)

We were informed by the Hotel Manager James Deering that the demographics between the Vista Class ships and the others are quite different. The Vista class more towards younger crowd and families, the other classes more towards the "mature" crowd.

In any case, service etc. was outstanding and we wouldn't hesitate to sail with HAL again.

MMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! Sounds so inviting......I'll be on my first HAL on April 14th. I've heard so many wonderful things about HAL.....I can't wait!!!

And, besides all that you've stated.....I'm looking forward to that glorious feeling that you get when you drive up to the dock...see your ship off in the distance.....I always get goosebumps....enter the ship for the first time....open the door to your cabin for the first time....watching this amazing ship drift off onto the open seas....watching the city scape in the distance....going to the dining room, the first night and meeting our servers....go to the first entertainment venue.....get my first foo-foo drink....get to enjoy the ship (all to myself), while everyone else is on land.....there is so much, much more......:p

TeeBuccs,

We just returned from our 2nd HAL cruise, we had a good time but!

It will be a long time before we sail HAL again.

The Westerdam was bland, not much glimmer, very little activity that one would call an activity. My DW even commented on the second day she did not care for the ship. The service is no better or worse than RCCL or Carnival. They make your beds, they clean your room, they serve your food . How complicated can that be.

The ship is down right boaring and the crowd depressing. The reason I say depressing is that the average age had to be 70's. I have no problem with older people infact I prefer an older couple to dine with than younger couples. Every where you looked there were older people knowing that someday we will (hopefully) be in that age group.

I will not take another HAL cruise for maybe 20 years if then. RCCL is hard to beat, we also like Carnival. HAL is toast!

Thanks everyone for your opinions. As I mentioned previously we sailed to Alaksa last year on the Radiance and loved everything about it. I agree that going to Alaska - we weren't looking for a party or any activities on board per say. To be honest I think we made the most of every day in port that we were zonkered and went to bed everynight by 10pm (if that) - to rest up for the next day's excitement.

I know perferences are so subjective, but I appreciate the feedback. The smaller crowd is a plus, but that also means smaller ship and I am not sure if that is good. I could care less about the food really as long as it is edible - I don't sail to eat and I do not like getting all dressed up on vacation. (That is work to me, wearing a suit and heels to work everyday!)

I will have to do some thinking - the intinerary is really what drove me to consider HAL...

You were also on a cruise in late January/early February.

You don't think there's going to be a younger crowd when school gets out and people are on summer vacation?

I understand you had some points of your Westerdam cruise that didn't work out too well, but you're making these folks think they're going to be on a floating nursing home.

And with a cruise in the summer, that just won't be the case

Our seven day caribbean on one of HAL's largest ships had an average age near seventy.

We are mid 40's and loved our cruise on the Veendam last summer. Yes, we were one of the youngest on the ship but my undertanding is more familys go on the Vista class, but we chose an itinerary from Seward to Vancouver and if I was bringing children it would be much cheaper to go round trip from Seattle.

I still don't get the comments about no children (or younger folks through 40's ) during the school season? Why would you expect any parent would take their children out of school to go on a cruise? I understand you are looking for younger singles, or mid 40's without children, but still you will find a younger crowd in general over the summer, christmas holiday etc.

I still don't get the comments about no children (or younger folks through 40's ) during the school season? Why would you expect any parent would take their children out of school to go on a cruise? I understand you are looking for younger singles, or mid 40's without children, but still you will find a younger crowd in general over the summer, christmas holiday etc.

It used to be a safe bet to cruise when school is in session. Things have changed.

I always liked early December, pre holiday. This past December, there were a LOT of infants (strollers parked everywhere) and kids running rampant. I was very unhappy.

More kids are home schooled these days and some parents apparently do just pull them out to take advantage of a bargain.

strollers parked everywhere?i am aghast,it must havebeen difficult to manage,what with the hundreds of zimmer frames,wheelchairs etc.not very pc to mention that,but hey,anti strollers/anti wheelchair.whats the difference,either is totally neccasary to the user.

Archived