Mobile Mardi Gras: Parade Traffic?

bradscoffee

We are driving from Atlanta to Mobile AL for our 2/17/07 cruise on the Holiday. We will be driving on the day of departure and am curious what type of traffic to expect while driving into Mobile during its Mardi Gras celebration. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid any potential Mardi Gras related traffic? I have read that there will be several parade routes going through the heart of Mobile simultaneously.

I have been in Mobile during Mardis Gras and as I recall most of the main parades are in the late evening. If you take the I-165 exit into Mobile I believe you will get to the terminal entrance without getting into the bad traffic. Someone who lives there may correct me.

Check the carnival roll call for the Holiday feb 26. I posted directions there. Saturday there are 4 parades that day..12:00, 12:30, 1:00 and 6:00 pm. all on the same route, either follow those directions I posted or htis route. Take I-65 south to I-10 east exit at the canal street exit and you will see the ship and cruise terminal. There will be traffic along both routes. Being daytime parades it maynot be as heavy.

Take I-65 all the way down to I-10. Take I-10 E to Canal St. and you will be in sight of the terminal and ship. You may have delays getting off the interstate because this is also one of the main downtown exits that Mardi Gras goers will use but it shouldn't be extremely bad. Get off the exit and go right and you'll be at the terminal in minutes (seconds if you're lucky). DON'T go I-165 even though it looks closer and faster on the map. IT WON'T BE during Mardi Gras as it takes you right through the heart of downtown where everyone is trying to park in the medians, on the sidewalks and shoulders and people walking in the streets and such. And the little alley you have to drive through to get under the interstate and over to the terminal may even be blocked off at that time. If you get into town before 9am you shouldn't have much of a problem.

We are driving from Atlanta to Mobile AL for our 2/17/07 cruise on the Holiday. We will be driving on the day of departure and am curious what type of traffic to expect while driving into Mobile during its Mardi Gras celebration. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid any potential Mardi Gras related traffic? I have read that there will be several parade routes going through the heart of Mobile simultaneously.

Just curious : How Long a drive do you think it will take from Atlanta to the Exit for the pier

We are thinking about doing the same thing ?

Thanks

Take I-65 all the way down to I-10. Take I-10 E to Canal St. and you will be in sight of the terminal and ship. You may have delays getting off the interstate because this is also one of the main downtown exits that Mardi Gras goers will use but it shouldn't be extremely bad. Get off the exit and go right and you'll be at the terminal in minutes (seconds if you're lucky). DON'T go I-165 even though it looks closer and faster on the map. IT WON'T BE during Mardi Gras as it takes you right through the heart of downtown where everyone is trying to park in the medians, on the sidewalks and shoulders and people walking in the streets and such. And the little alley you have to drive through to get under the interstate and over to the terminal may even be blocked off at that time. If you get into town before AM you shouldn't have much of a problem.

The Little alley also known as water street is never blocked off, it is designated as a emergency egress route.

But I agree that I-10 would be the best route, but depending on the time you arrive the ramp could be backed up. At times I have seen it backed up to Virgina st.

dlhamlten, allow yourself about five hours from Atlanta and you soon be fine, say if you left sometime between AM and AM that should put you here at the terminal sometime around AM or PM.

Jake

Excellent information! Thank you very much for the tips.

dhamilton: We will be coming from south side of ATL and am expecting it to be about 5 hrs. If you are coming from Acworth, it may take about 5 1/2 to 6 hrs.

It won't be long now!

Thanks again!

Archived