Seward Salmon

sarahruth23

When we talked to the people from Seavey's and they told us about their all-day tour, one of the places included was a stop to see spawning salmon. Following advice on these boards, my family has decided not to do the whole tour, but just the dog sled ride. However, my grandmother would like to see the salmon as well. Does anyone know where they go to see this? Is it somewhere we can go on our own? We are bear watching in Ketchikan, so we will probably see some then, but I think she would like to see just the salmon as well. Anyone done this? We will be there at the beginning of August.

As always, thanks a million!

Sarah

The waterfall, it's just around the corner of the Sealife Center, take a right at the end of 3rd ave and head towards Lowell Point.

The culvert is close by the small boat harbor, there's a creek that flows into the lagoon, which is another place. Nice boardwalk goes along the lagoon and there is a duck pond by the Benny Benson Memorial on the north end. Also that area is a good place for spotting eagles. Take Phoniex rd up to the 1st curve over on the left above the horse shed is an eagle's nest. Keep following Phoniex up a few feet and you'll see a creek flowing there that also fills up with salmon, one of my favorite spots. The beginning of August is a little early for silvers but it doesn't hurt to check it out, you might see a king or red. The waterfall and lagoon are also the hot spots for fishing.

If you have a vehicle available, another salmon viewing location is Bear Creek Wier. It is at mile 6 of the Seward Highway, off Bear Lake Rd. When the salmon are in, they are easy to see, just be sure not to touch or disturb them, as that is illegal. Also, keep your ears open as it is a popular spot for local bears in the late evening.

Creek St. in Ketchikan is loaded with salmon when they are running. You just have to be there at the right time. :) Up Park there is also a salmon ladder. In Juneau- the hatchery has a very viewable salmon ladder.

I've even heard them in the culverts when walking Skagway. Again if running, they are in the creek before 1st St. between the railroad dock.

Archived