Rumors about Princess...

ImBossy

[quote name='cruzinchris']Hey,[B] B.[/B] I have some "additional information" regarding [I]RCI[/I] vs. [I]Princess [/I]but I will email you with the details ;) .
[I]Chris[/I][/quote] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]I'll look forward to that - you know I enjoy your emails...give Rhett a scratch for me (Mike too! :D )[/FONT]

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Why do you prefer Carnival and RCI over Princess? It would be interesting to know.
There are a lot of people who say that RCI and Princess at least are pretty much the same. But there are enough who prefer one or the other to lead me to believe that the differences between the two cruise lines are considerable enough to point to them not being pretty much the same.
[/FONT][/quote]
Not that you asked me, or shall I say "would ask me", but I have cruised several times on both lines. I prefer RCI. Is there "considerable" differences between the 2 lines?? Well that is purely subjective. what you deem as considerable, I may consider negligible . Just as some may fine jeans in the dinning room to be objectionable, I may not even notice and if I did notice not even care. Now for my opinion, and we know what people think of opinions on a board that is mostly based on self righteous opinions, RCI and Princess are probably the most similar then any other lines I have cruised. Now I have only cruised on Princess, Celebrity, NCL and RCI. Of the Princess ships I have cruised they offer a product very much like RCI. Food pretty much the same. Presentation pretty much the same. Atmosphere pretty much the same. Ship designs pretty much the same. Staff pretty much the same. Overall experience, again pretty much the same. Are there differences?? You bet! Do I think they are considerable? NO. Would I cruise Princess again? Probably not. I will most likely stay with RCI. Now Bdjam stated "[FONT=Comic Sans MS]there are enough who prefer one or the other to lead me to believe that the differences between the two cruise lines are considerable enough to point to them not being pretty much the same. [/FONT]" Which seems ridiculous to me. Just because they are "pretty much the same" certainly does not imply they are exactly the same which is why you will find passengers that prefer line X over line Z. I know some of you prefer a certain class ship or even a certain ship over others in the same fleet. I am sure they offer the same product on all ships but there will be differences and thus is why you would prefer one ship over another. Common sense?? I am sure that can and will be debated. Good day! :D

We would love to try RCI one day but, everytime I go to book a cruise the deals are much better on Princess.

Plus Princess has things I like that RCI doesn't have - such as

Anytime Dining - this is what brought us into cruising - I hate eating when someone says I need to eat, I like to eat when I want to. Plus I love Cafe Caribe on CB - and it will be on the Emerald also.

Laundry - I like to be able to iron my own shirt and I like to be able to wash some clothes if I need to - plus I love being able to unpack when we get home and not have to do any wash. We usually throw some clothes in the washer - hit the buffet late at night and then throw the clothes in the dryer and hit the hot tub - imo it doesn't interfer with anything.

Pricing - a balcony vs a balcony - we are going in sept and looked at the mariner of the seas - pricing was $300.00 more guar balcony vs E2 on RCI (through cruisecompete.com) on RCI than Princess - plus I have $150.00 shipboard credit through Princess. - Plus from reading RCI's board they don't have a very good Future cruise booking offer like Princess. I don't want to hassle with booking a ghost cruise and keeping the same booking # and then changing it to another cruise - thanx but no thanx - I know they are working on a new program that is SUPPOSE to come out sometime this year.

I think its whatever you get use to - we are going to be platinum after our next cruise in two months with princess, which will make it even harder to try another line.

The balcony cabins on the newer RC ships (Radiance class onward) are MUCH larger than Princess balcony cabins, with a sitting area with a sofa. The balcony cabins on Princess ships are really quite small (with the Sun class balconies being downright tiny). It is not an apples to apples comparison at all.

I also like the laundries on Princess ships. I love RC, love Princess, but Princess has much better itineraries. If you're talking about a 7 night Caribbean cruise, I would prefer RC (because we're Diamond and get the Concierge Lounge and free drinks, and the buffet and ships are nicer, we think), but for longer cruisers, it's Princess all the way.

[quote name='pg.']I hate the towel animals.

I really really hated ( and this was the final straw for Carnival for us) the way the waiter begged us for only excellant ratings or this stupid rating card saying he would be fired if we even gave a good rating. I don't even care if that is true or not, how unpleasant either way. [/quote]

This happened to us on Princess. It actually made us want to lower her rating we found it so annoying. We didn't as our wait-staff was excellent.

We had towel animals on RCCL. The flying monkey was cute. The rest we spent some time puzzling over what the heck they were! :p

[quote name='ImBossy']Hi all. I would probably be considered a newbie by most of you since I have only sailed twice on Carnival but, I would like to try other lines and had been considering princess. Well, I was reading a board, i think in Carnival, when I saw some members criticizing Princess. They said it was going down hill amoung a few other remoarks. I was surprised since I thought it was more upscale.
Anyway, what are y'alls thoughts? Yes, i'm from Texas and I say "y'all". I want to take a Princess cruise in the future as well as RCCL, but I don't want to feel like I wasted my time or money.
How about privacy? how are they on ensuring it?
Your thoughts are appreciated.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=royalblue]My husband (he never went on a cruise before) and I went on the Caribbean Princess last June and I was so..........surprised by his reaction. He was never a fan of cruises and I had to talk him into going on this one. Well, he LOVED it... There was plenty to do, games at the pool, art auctions, classes, entertainment (Bert Stratton was awesome) or you can just hang by the many pools and relax with a drink, (we did that ALOT- no kids that trip)...He wanted to book another cruise as soon as we got back. We're going on the Grand on 3-31-07 (with the kids this time)!! We didn't even consider going on another cruise line, because we loved Princess so...much. We were afraid that another one may not measure up!! You will LOVE it..don't forget...opinions are just that,,some people will find fault with anything and everything. Go with an open mind, life is short!![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=royalblue][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=royalblue]Patti:) [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='ImBossy']Hi all. I would probably be considered a newbie by most of you since I have only sailed twice on Carnival but, I would like to try other lines and had been considering princess. Well, I was reading a board, i think in Carnival, when I saw some members criticizing Princess. They said it was going down hill amoung a few other remoarks. I was surprised since I thought it was more upscale.
Anyway, what are y'alls thoughts? Yes, i'm from Texas and I say "y'all". I want to take a Princess cruise in the future as well as RCCL, but I don't want to feel like I wasted my time or money.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=royalblue]My husband (he never went on a cruise before) and I went on the Caribbean Princess last June and I was so..........surprised by his reaction. He was never a fan of cruises and I had to talk him into going on this one. Well, he LOVED it... There was plenty to do, games at the pool, art auctions, classes, entertainment (Bert Stratton was awesome) or you can just hang by the many pools and relax with a drink, (we did that ALOT- no kids that trip)...He wanted to book another cruise as soon as we got back. We're going on the Grand on 3-31-07 (with the kids this time)!! We didn't even consider going on another cruise line, because we loved Princess so...much. We were afraid that another one may not measure up!! You will LOVE it..don't forget...opinions are just that,,some people will find fault with anything and everything. Go with an open mind, life is short!![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=royalblue][/COLOR][/FONT]

I'll be taking my third trip with Princess in June. We are going on the Baltics cruise on June 11. Have also used Carnival a few times and RCCL but find Princess to be the best. I think it's all in what you are looking for. You probably have to try a few to finally settle on what you want and for me that is Princess.

Archived