MS Nieuw Amsterdam

We sailed this ship in 1996 I think it was, on HAL. I see and Amsterdam listed but don't thing it's the same ship. Anybody know her whereabouts? I think she was about 33,000 tons.

She was sold to American Classic Voyages Company in 2000 for their ill-fated revival of United States Lines. Renamed PATRIOT and placed under U.S. registry, the former Nieuw Amsterdam was used in interisland Hawaiian cruising for United States Lines from 2000-2001. American Classic Voyages went bankrupt in October of 2001, and Patriot was re-purchased by Holland America at the bankruptcy auction. The ship was renamed NIEUW AMSTERDAM and placed under Bahamain registry. Nieuw Amsterdam was then sailed from Honolulu through the Panama Canal to Norfolk where she was laid up until 2002. Holland America has sold the ship to Louis Cruise Lines Ltd. of Cyprus under a six-year hire-purchase agreement, and Louis subcharters the ship to Thompson Holidays in the U.K. under the name THOMPSON SPIRIT. The ship is now Cypriot flagged and managed by Louis, though the Holland America subsidiary Wind Surf Inc. is still her registered owner- the title won't be transferred until completion of the hire-purchase agreement. See http://www.louiscruises.com or http://www.thompson.co.uk

• 9 months later...

Both the Nieuw Amsterdam and Noordam have not been sold. They are on long time lease with their cruise lines that they are with now. However, at the end of their leases those cruise lines have the opition to purchase those ships or send them to the breakers.

Archived