American tickets?

cruisebritannia

But so what, after all, how many of us are Native American????

Oooh ooh! Me, me!!! Well, part of me anyway! Not the tongue part, though.

Let's see. We took California from Mexico, which was invaded by the Spaniards, who pushed out the Aztecs and many, many more tribes. As for Miami, Again, we weren't there first. And it seems we bought Florida from Spain also, didn't we? Good Old Hernando De Soto. And Miami- That would have been the Seminoles and Chief Osceola who we cheated disgracefully in the Seminole wars. And while we're at it, the Huguenots (from France) in North Florida and the other natives and the Spanish.

And of course, my people the Cherokees, of the Five Civilized Tribes (unlike our oppressors, who don't seem too civilized to me in what they did.) were driven further and further west, with broken promises and more broken promises, and more and more people died of disease and starvation on the Trail of Tears. And yet, not one, but TWO proud bands the Eastern and the Western band of the Cherokees survive. And many clans within the bands. By the way, we were able to sign treaties because we had the first written language of all of the tribes in what is now the U.S.

And my next door neighbor. I'm not sure if he can speak Mohegan. I am sure his Uncle did. (don't believe that bit about the Last of the Mohegans or Mohicans. My next door neighbor is one. And Gladys Tantaquidgeon, proud matriarch and medicine woman and sustaining spirit of the tribe only died a few years ago. (Sadly I was in Florida at the time, and did not learn of her passing to the spirit world until I returned. So I was not here to honor her.) In fact, there were some members of the Tribal Council in England just last year to meet with the Queen. They honored a departed chief who died (and was buried) in London. He had gone to seek an audience with King George, whose colonials dishonored the treaties they had made.

So, someone was saying?

Pardonez moi, s'il vous plais!

English has two main origins, Germanic and Romantic. The Germanic has a tendency to be concise and to the point. Eat, Go, Do. The Romantic has a tendency to be longer. The main reason being that French court reporters were paid by the letter and had a tendency to pad their pay. Which might explain why there are over 20 letters that can be silent in French. Queue, Alight come to mind. (Though I have a feeling that these words might send many North Americans to a dictionary.)

No. I know how to spell both. And am quite familiar with the meaning of both.

I still kind of snicker at guys wearing jumpers thought! <teehee!> They must look like school girls! Then again, the Brits have Benny Hill! I think he sometimes dressed like a school girl! <G>

Karie,

who wishes to make everyone who wishes to embrace this land welcome, and not just those who look like us. Many of our forebears got their start in this land fleeing the tyranny and poverty of another land. Thus is has been, and thus it should be. Since we forced the natives (those who were already her) to learn English, then maybe the newcomers should force us to learn theirs! Spanish, yes, and Farsi, Romanian, Russian, Polish, Croatian, Arabic (Ana Bahibak!) and so many more. (And yes, I know both genders on the previous term. I learned it as a teenagers working with A whole bunch of Lebanese at Steak and Shake in Daytona Beach Florida!)

If you were Native American, I would expect that you might be speaking Cree, Algonquin, Hopi or any of the related languages. English is an import.

I'm American, Ephraim, my brother is Canadian. We disagree about everything except nationality and good food (for which my wife and I often drive to Montreal, where he lives). Enjoy your OED et votre Larousse aussi, eh.

Paul

You LIKE gravy on your pomme frites?

EEWww!

Alors! Mon ami!

we cheated disgracefully in the Seminole wars.

Lovely story from the 1930s when an American society hostess chastised Winston Churchill over Britain's Indian Empire:

"Mr Churchill - what are you going to do about your Indians?"

'Leastways, Madam, not what you did with yours!'

Peter

>And why shouldn't those immigrants learn the language of their new country?

They should try - 100%!

As an immigrant myself (Brit living in Florida for 14+ years), I attempt to learn the American language everyday!

My wife and I are too old to pick up the accent, but, we certainly try to pick up the local language!

Archived