Shuttle Bus vs Tour Bus

tbenson81

Several people on these boards have recommended the shuttle bus vs the tour bus. Yeah -the tour bus is more expensive but dont you get the narration and expertise from the tour bus? We are not big campers / outdoorsy people, we just want to experience Denali and see some wildlife.

Doesnt the shuttle just drive you to the stop and drop you off? Seems pretty informal and sounds like its just transportation from point A to B

What does everyone think who has done both?

BQ also mentioned "enhanced buses" -what does this mean. I thought all the tours were on the schools buses.

Thanks

Tony

I'll leave it up to BQ to explain the enhanced buses to make sure you get the right info - but from what she and others have taught me over the last 6 months, I'll fill you in on what I've learned from them until they can check in! The shuttle bus does NOT just take you someplace and drop you off, and the drivers are often as knowledgeable as the tour buses!! You'll definitely see the same wildlife from one as the other. Thanks to the experts on this forum, I would not even CONSIDER a tour that costs 3 times as much!

The TWTour buses are being upgraded with buses having hi-back seats and a neat video system. The driver has a videocam with an amazing zoom on it which he can broadcast to overhead monitors like planes have. Its not only great for folks without binoculars, it can be handy to show everyone where to look to find a distant animal. The shuttles, though, offer narration that's as good as the tour buses, and you can stay wih the same bus/driver all day if you want.

Murray

Above explanations explain the difference well. My strong suggestion if you take the shuttle bus is to GET OFF THE BUS. So few people do this and even if it is just to walk on the tundra and along the road for 1/2 hour and take the next shuttle back, I think it would be well worth it. In fact, once you get off the bus, I would not be surprised if you decide to stay off it for a while.

One other big difference between the tour busses and the shuttle busses is that the tour busses only go to about mile 53. Some shuttle busses go as far as mile 85 - Wonder Lake. If Mt. McKinley is visible, you will never regret going to Wonder Lake. That is why it is always my suggestion to book the shuttle to Wonder Lake. If you have had enough by the time you get to Fish Creek, get off the Wonder Lake shuttle and hop a different one back to the entrance. Unless you have a large group you rarely have to wait long for another shuttle bus.

One caveat about traveling to Wonder Lake before mid August - mosquitos can be bad so be sure to bring 100% DEET to keep them at bay.

John

You have the wrong idea about the buses. ALL buses slowly ride the same gravel road, with all eyes on the look out for varied wildlife, no way to know what you are going to see or where. The shuttle buses do depend on the passengers to yell "stop" and the bus does. :) All get a good look at the wildlife, then they start up again. There will be a line of stopped buses, including tour buses. So it isn't just a drive to the point to pay to and back. You have the potential for many stops along the way. At Polychrome pass, you have about a 20-30 min stop.

As mentioned above, the negative of the Tour buses, is their distance. Mile 53 is not far enough for me- ever. My min. distance in is Fish Creek, 10 miles further to mile 63. This is big bear habitat those 10 miles. At Fish Creek you have another approx. 30 min. stop for a look at their information center. They also have a list for available bus seats if you take a different bus.

I agree, Wonder Lake gives an excellent look at Denali Park and my usual destination.

Since we are going to Denali the last week in May and the shuttle buses and the tour buses both only go to mile 53 toklat at that time, would everyone here recommend that the best option for us is still a shuttle bus?

Like I said - I just want to see some wildlife.

Your insignts and experiences are much appreciated. I guess the question is then .....why would anyone book a tour bus?

People cant justify a difference of 70 bucks for a boxed lunch can they?

Are there any other advantages of the tour bus at all?

Tony

Your insignts and experiences are much appreciated. I guess the question is then .....why would anyone book a tour bus?

People cant justify a difference of 70 bucks for a boxed lunch can they?

Are there any other advantages of the tour bus at all?

Tony

As Yukon mentioned, the upgraded busses have the video system. But if the wildlife is that far away to need a high powered zoom lens to see, it is probably hardly worth seeing anyway.

The tour busses are easier to book - done through the cruisetour for example or through a hotel desk. You book the shuttle bus on your own. Some people prefer the former I guess. I have never taken the tour bus, but only the camper and shuttle busses.

John

Is there a link to shuttle bus info? Do you have to book in advance, before you leave for Alaska?

Here's the link - and yes, it is my understanding that you should book in advance, although Budget Queen says they hold back some seats until 3 days before the date. I made my reservations last month, just to be sure!

http://www.reservedenali.com/

Is there a link to shuttle bus info? Do you have to book in advance, before you leave for Alaska?

www.nps.gov/dena then look for the link from there.

You don't need to reserve the shuttle bus in advance but if your dates are set, I would suggest doing so. They keep back 35% of the shuttle bus seats to book by phone beginning two days before, I think starting at 7am. But if you are on your cruise then or can't get through on the phone (I don't know how busy the phone gets then), you have a chance of being locked out.

If you reserve ahead then change, it costs $4 to change. That is a small price to pay for peace of mind in booking early. But then I am a planner and early booker.

First hand information- 35% of the shuttle bus seats are held back and released 2 day prior at 7am. There is an 800 number to call. You do need to call at 7am, IF you wait this late to get tickets. Do not expect any walk up space in season.

BUT if your days are fixed, book your shuttle bus in advance.

The reason people book the tour bus??? Most probably don't have a clue there is anything else. Tour packages use them. And the other reason- I don't know. :)

Archived