Can someone please explaign to me what the cabin categories mean?

4mygrls

I am trying to figure out what the cabin categories are on carnivals conquest? For example what's the difference between upper deck 8A and 8D? I'm not positive the 8D exists? I was just trying to give an example.I don't understand what the different numbers and letters stand for? I hope I'm making some sort of sense?lol

Sorry the earlier answer was so rude.

For Carnival the number is the type of cabin and the letter is the deck.

A cat 4 cabin is an inside cabin. A cat 6 cabin is an ocean view cabin. A cat 8 or 9 cabin is a balcony cabin. A cat 11 or 12 is a suite.

A 4A cabin is the lowest deck with an inside cabin. A cat 4B cabin is the next higher deck with an inside cabin. A cat 4C cabin is the next higher deck with an inside cabin.

Same with the others. A cat 6A cabin is the lowest deck with an ocean view cabin. A cat 6B cabin is the next higher deck with an ocean view cabin. A cat 8A cabin is the lowest deck with a balcony cabin. A cat 8B is the next higher deck with a balcony cabin.

There are some exceptions to these rules. For example, on the Spirit class ships a cat 8B and cat 8C are on the same deck. However, the cat 8C has a larger balcony.

The suites are all the same. There is no letter code attached to a cat 11 or cat 12 suite.

Thanks for the detailed explanation- I've been wondering about Carnival's system, since we just started looking at one of their 5 day cruises (and only cruised them one other time).

For 4mygrls: yes- this can be very confusing- and other cruise lines also have codes and categories that may not (at first) make any sense. And then they'll offer a special on one category, which makes it cheaper than previously "lower" categories! Argh! If you have a very knowledgable TA, they can help you negotiate the categories and prices, but we usually pick a cruise and cabin type before we contact a TA.

One "rule" that seems to be fairly consistent among assorted lines is that the higher up you go (higher decks), the more the cabin will cost- it's considered a preferred location. Cabins on the lowest passenger deck are usually the cheapest. On some lines, an inside on an upper deck will cost more than an outside on a lower deck.

So the "adventure" part of your cruise actually starts with figuring out the cabins and pricing system (and trying to find the best deal). LOL Lynn

Archived