From Dover to Brussels?

marylizbeth

Good Morning,

take from Brussels South Station (Bruxelles Midi/Brussel Zuid) the High-Speed-Train EUROSTAR towards London:

http://www.eurostar.co.uk

Travel time: 1.35 hrs

Get off at ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL

From there your take SouthEastern Railways to Dover

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/content/doc/pdf/timetables/timetable_24.pdf

Another 30 minutes to Dover.

From there a taxi.

Another option is to use the train from Brussels South Station to Calais Ville (you need at least one extra transfer at the station Lille Europe, France - as EUROSTAR does not stop in Calais but passing nonstop...)

The fastest connection will be with one transfer 1.48 hrs

Do not use EUROSTAR as you need a transfer within in Lille.

Take only TGV options with same station transfers.

http://www.b-rail.be

From Calais you take the ferry to Dover in 70 (Seafrance) - 90 (P&O Ferries) minutes - complimentary bus shuttle available from Calais Ville station to Ferry terminal:

http://www.poferries.com or http://www.seafrance.fr

The most convenient way will be the use of EUROLINES Coach from Brussels North Station (Bruxelles Nord/Brussel Noord) directly to Dover.

https://webapp.eurolines.be/Eurolines/ssl_index.asp

Twice daily services. Travel time: 4 hrs 45 min..

Hope these information are helpful for you.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks so much HeinBloed

I appreciate your info on the trip from Brussels to Dover. As I expected it is not the easiest little trip but at least now I know how to do it. As long as we don't take a lot of luggage it should be o.k.

Thanks again...it is much appreciated

MaryLizBeth

Southern CA

Actually the Euroline looks pretty convenient although I thought Brussels was only an hour or two from Dover. I guess there are a lot of stops along the way!

Thanks...and let us know if you need any directions in the U.S. or Southern CA ever!

I knew that there was a way to do it but hard to figure out from this side of the ocean!

M

Well - in theory you are right. Both cities are very close together...

But there the open sea (Street of Dover / The Channel) between Belgium/France and UK.

That's why you need extra time: even the pure travel time is short there is extra time requested for check-in, loading the railcars, unloading the railscars (all motor vehicle must go on railcars!) - same with the ferry. So you have extra time what you need for - that's why it looks so long.

When you are using the EUROSTAR-train you have also to check-in in Brussels South like on an airport.

Thanks for offering with route instructions... I would like to come to California... Unfortunately I have to leave tomorrow for Toronto and Northeast Coast...

Do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions.

And while you stay in Brussels:

Ignore

NEUHAUS

GODIVA

LEONIDAS

You will regret it if you stay too long in the famous chocolote stores. Move all DVDs with the movie CHOCOLATE away...

Have a great time in Brussels and on your cruise.

Are you going on NORWEGIAN DREAM to Baltic Sea???

Regards,

HeinBloed

take from Brussels South Station (Bruxelles Midi/Brussel Zuid) the High-Speed-Train EUROSTAR towards London:

http://www.eurostar.co.uk

Travel time: 1.35 hrs

Get off at ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL

From there a taxi.

Marylizbeth, we did this in 2005 but went at the end of our cruise from Dover. I recommend that you take a taxi from Ashford to Dover at approx 30 British pounds. We have done the Chunnel crossing by train several times and enjoyed the ride on the Eurostar trains. By getting off in Ashford, you don't have to go all the way into London and then backtrack. But I did think it was much easier to just take the taxi from Ashford to Dover to avoid the issues with transferring trains, and you'll need a taxi after you get to Dover anyway. I would imagine that with the cost of the train tickets, you would only save approx 20 pounds by taking the train on into Dover, and the convenience of the taxi was well worth it to us.

While in Brussels, I HIGHLY recommend that you take the 1-hour train ride to Bruges one day. Bruges is delightful beyond description. We enjoyed Brusells but loved Bruges.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Hope your husband like beer...

Belgium is the country with the widest variation of beer...

Book him a brewery tour and take his credit card...

Go to Antwerp (only 1 hour from Brussels) and see all the DIAMONDS stores and work shops there...

Diamonds are the girl's best friend...

Regards,

HeinBloed

....and I will try to avoid all the chocolate stores..although I doubt it will do much good.
Oh, I wouldn't avoid them! :) I thought I had had good chocolate in Switzerland and the U.S. and in other areas of Europe, but when I tasted the chocolates in Belgium, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I bought some at Kim’s Chocolates, which is on a street close to the Lake of Love, in Bruges that were to die for.

Donna

No, no, no...

Diamonds are forever...

Donna - the difference:

she is in Belgium before she is going on board...

she might have problems to fit in her cocktail dress

and get a depression if she spent as much money as you would have spend in diamonds but you can only see their existence on the seize or in the mirror when you trying to get into your cocktail dress for the formal nights...

The diamonds you can sell to other cruisers if you spend too much and have no more money for onboard-spend...

but the chocolate on your whips you can only sell to some rich Arabian Sheiks (??? hope it's written correctly) who will offer her husband in the currency camels...

You was first to your cruise and then having the chocolate. That's less frustrating...

I know what you are talking about:

you put a Belgium chocolate in your mouth.

take a flavour with cream.

put in on your tongue...

and start let it melting on your tongue...

enjoy the flavour and the taste...

and you do not want to have anything else than Belgian chocolate...

It's the sweetest form to kill yourself... and to getting bancrupt!!! But you know what you are dying for...

Any time I am going to Belgium: no credit card, only 10 EUR cash - otherwise I will become with each bit of chocolate shareholder of the chocolate companies...

Enjoy Belgium - however you will decide...

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...

FOR THOSE CRUISERS

who are able to use the search-function of this board, need this connection between Brussels and Dover after November 2007 and found this thread:

From Nov 14, 2007

Ashford International will not be served any longer by Brussels train services (only very few trains of the Paris service left).

If you are cruising after Nov 14, 2007 and need the connection between Dover and Brussels - please disregard all suggestions regarding the EUROSTAR trains.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi Marylisbeth

I live in Brussels and I would recommend taking the train from any station in Brussels to Ostende in Belgium then catch the overcraft or ferry to Dover.

The train will take about 1hour 15 minutes and the ferry +/- 3 hours. The overcraft is faster (about 50 minutes from Ostende to Dover).

Have fun

Joyce

Hi Joyce

Thanks for your answer...can I ask once you get to the Ferry can you board on foot? I was under the impression that they only allowed motor coaches or cars on board.

Are there coaches available once you get off the train--and is the ferry close to the train.

Thanks so much.

Sounds like LA Law, Boston Legal or Ally McBeal:

I object!!!

The ferry service between Ostend and Dover is suspended.

(check here for confirmation: http://www.ferry-to-france.co.uk/dover_ostend.html and http://www.doverport.co.uk/ferry.asp?skey=1&ckey=19)

On the Port of Dover's website you can also see: not ALL ferries allow pedestrians on their boats.

Maybe this website is helpful:

Map of Dover

The cruise terminal is located in the SOUTHWEST of the map (page 1) = Western Docks

The ferry terminal is located in the SOUTHEAST of the map (page 1) = Eastern Docks

The train station is located in the NORTHWEST of the map (page 1) = Dover Priory

You see that the Train station is located at FOLKSTONE ROAD - follow to EAST of the map to the rotary/roundabout - further EAST of the map PENCESTER ROAD. That's the coach/bus station.

On page 2 you'll find a scale.

Now you have an orientation.

The bus 61 connects the train station with the cruise terminal.

Transit time 5 minutes.

You can check your individual connection at:

Transport Direct

For your convenience: the correct spelling for your request.

Copy + Paste these lines into the form:

Dover Priory Rail Station

Dover - Cruise Terminal Western Docks Coach Stop

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you Heinbloed

Gee....that sure saved us from a not so pleasant journey if we had taken a non-existent train.

We are still trying to decide if we want to make the trip via Brussels at this point Dear Hubby is more inclined just to fly to London and go to Dover from there.

Alas...

We are not so good at difficult connections. We are wimpy travelers!

You will really miss something!

Regards,

HeinBloed

I agree with HeinBloed (as usual :)) and hope you can work it out to go to Brussels and Bruges. It's a great place to visit, so best wishes to you and your husband.

Donna

Archived