Night Tours?

BottledRed

Has anyone done any of the vampire/voodoo/ghost tours of New Orleans?

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm trying to pick a tour that starts 8pm or later in September (midmonth). We're taking our wedding party out as a treat.

Yes, several agencies conduct the night tours, and they are FUNFUNFUN! And a little bit scarey.:eek: What a great treat for your friends.

My only problem has been that there are too many! I want to find the scariest one, because my SO loves haunted houses, etc.

"Haunted History Tours" was featured on an episode of A&E and also the Travel Channel. (It's also the only night tour I've taken. Your host-ghost for the evening will be in period costume.)

Great website, huh? The "Ghost Tour" is the one I've been on. I jumped out of my skin only two or three times.:eek: It was great. My daughter often takes visiting friends on this tour. She went on the, I think, Voodoo tour, and was disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the Voodoo Tour a couple of years ago and found it completely lame.

The tour operators were dressed in period clothing and seemed more captured by that than the tour they were leading. It was disappointing.

Absolutely loved the day-time walking Garden District tour. Lots of walking, had a great guide named Doc. Went to a couple of the above-ground cemetaries, rode on the St. Charles streetcar line. This tour was one of my favorite parts of our French Quarter Festival visit in 2002.

I have heard from people that the swamp and plantation tours are not to be missed. We didn't have time for that on our visit, but I will definitely make time next year when I visit NOLA again.

T

Our group voted to do the Haunted History Ghost Tour. Haunted History will arrange a private tour if you have enough folks to warrant it. Only thing is, with a private group, you can't use the coupons or discounts. It's $18 per person. They wouldn't negotiate, but we are going Halloween weekend, when they have more people who want the tour than availability. With a private tour, you can also set your own meeting location as long as it's in the same area as the usual meeting place.

FYI, none of the tours start after 8:00 p.m. They told me that's because they have to be completed before 10:00.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the Ghost Tour on my last trip to New Orleans. It was campy, but fun and informative. We all got a good chuckle out of it. There's a really cool story behind the Ursaline Convent...you should make sure your guide tells you about it! Some of the stories were a bit creepy...be sure to take plenty of pictures.

The tours are usually between 18-20 dollars, but you can find coupons all over the French Quarter (and online).....you realistically shouldn't have to pay more than 15.00 for one of the tours. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived