Very specific Baths questions!

MsKatee

How far and how difficult is the path to the Baths from where the bus drops you off.

I use a cane and get around pretty good but don't want to sign up for something that is too hard for me to do.

thanks,

mskatee

The path to the baths and the caves is a down hill trail. It is uneven, sandy and rocky. There are places where you will need to step up and over tree roots and rocks.

I went down with someone who had a knee problem. She made it but she said it was not easy. She did not do the caves once we were down to the beach. This involved way too much bending and crawling in some places.

Personally speaking (I have two bad knees and a bad hip) I did not find the trail down to the Baths (or through the Baths for that matter) to be "too" difficult. DOWN to the Baths only takes about 10-15 minutes but it is pretty much ALL downhill (uphill coming back - which I found easier).

BUT I only use a cane on RARE occasions and did not use it the last time I was at the Baths. And the trail is certainly not "easy" if one has mobility problems. As others have pointed out - it is a little steep and uneven and rocky and should definitely only be attempted in proper footware - sneakers or GOOD sports sandals - not the slippy ankle breaker kind. The trail THROUGH the Baths involves crouching and some climbing (because of my knees I did some of the "crouching" bits on my bum - easier for me than crouching really low). I found the trail THROUGH the Baths more challenging than the trail DOWN to the Baths but both were doable for me with a little patience, effort and help from my husband at the really difficult spots. Going DOWN to the Baths my husband only had to assist me once (long step down).

It is hard to say whether you will be able to do this - - as I said I have some problems but can usually manage without a cane.

• 3 weeks later...

Zeno- Are you "doing" the Baths on your own or taking a shore excursion? If you plan on taking a shore excursion through your ship, verify if you will be taken to the Baths area by land or by sea (obviously, first by boat or ferry, since it's on a different island, LOL). On our previous NCL cruises, their shore excursion was by boat directly to Virgin Gorda (versus the ferry), but the boat can't dock at the Baths (because there isn't any dock)- so you then swam to shore to then walk/climb through the "Baths" area or to just sit on the beach or even snorkle. This type of an excursion could be more convenient for you (assuming you swim) than an excursion that involves using the ferry, then taking a bus or shuttle to the top of the Baths and walking down the narrow, steep path. However, depending on the seas, the swim to shore- even with the flotation vests and flippers- is not for non-swimmers.

Kchesneylover: I can't even find your first post, so I'm proud of myself for answering it (I must be psychic). As far as on your own or through the ship- depends on how much time you have in port. We really enjoyed doing it on our own- we set our own pace, did what we wanted, etc. But we had a lot of time in port (on that particular cruise- I think 7 AM to 5 PM). Did we save money? Yes, but not enough to justify doing it on your own if you're going to worry the whole afternoon or force yourselves to leave the Baths early. And certainly not worth it if you miss the ship!

We found the ferry schedules on line and walked quickly to catch an early ferry. (About 15-20 minute walk) If we had missed that one, we would have had quite a wait. The ferry company had a "package" that included the round trip ferry to VG plus the tram (round trip shuttle bus) to the restaurant at the top of Baths. My DH thinks we paid $30 to $35 each. (in 2006) I think I read somewhere that the package now includes lunch (?). I think the ferry company was called Speedy's- read the other threads because I think I remember someone posted a link.

I had heard that the NCL excursion left you offshore, and the swim in to shore was not for timid swimmers. I didn't consider myself a great swimmer, so I thought doing it on our own (by land) would be better. And, yes, we did see some people struggling during the swim in to shore (the NCL excursion arrived an hour or so after we did). However, I saw lots of people succeed who were much worse swimmers than me, so don't think you have to be a champion to do this. A few people did stay on the boat rather than try to reach shore- we did hear them complaining about missing the Baths for the rest of the cruise.

Whichever you decide- don't miss the Baths! You'll have a wonderful time.

Zeno- Are you "doing" the Baths on your own or taking a shore excursion? If you plan on taking a shore excursion through your ship, verify if you will be taken to the Baths area by land or by sea (obviously, first by boat or ferry, since it's on a different island, LOL). On our previous NCL cruises, their shore excursion was by boat directly to Virgin Gorda (versus the ferry), but the boat can't dock at the Baths (because there isn't any dock)- so you then swam to shore to then walk/climb through the "Baths" area or to just sit on the beach or even snorkle. This type of an excursion could be more convenient for you (assuming you swim) than an excursion that involves using the ferry, then taking a bus or shuttle to the top of the Baths and walking down the narrow, steep path. However, depending on the seas, the swim to shore- even with the flotation vests and flippers- is not for non-swimmers.

I think there is a little confusion. I was responding to another poster. I have actually 'done' the Baths twice (on our own) and was responding to a query from someone with some physical problems (I have some limitations too). No problem though.

(ugh - I meant to post "even though I wasn't the one who asked!!" )

Sorry, I cannot go and edit my orignial post!

:cool: Thanks, JerseyGem for the advice, even though I was the one who asked!!

Do you think it is better to take the excursion or do it on your own?

How much saved money is involved doing it own your own?

Thanks so much!:cool:

Click here: BVI Welcome Magazine - British Virgin Islands

I found it on another thread! Here's info on times for ferries- scroll down for info on the ferries from Tortola to VG (and back - don't miss those LOL). Now that I look at the names, I'm not sure whether we used Speedy's or Smith's. Anyway- you're just using them to get back and forth- so either should fit- who ever has a ferry leaving for VG when you're ready. Just remember that your round trip ticket is for the same company- so who ever you take over- verify while on the ferry what time you need to be back at the ferry dock in VG for your return trip.

DH & I will be there in May, but I don't think we have time to do the Baths on our own- now we're thinking about an island tour or maybe Cane Garden Beach. But I really recommend the Baths!

KC..lover: And I thought I was psychic! (just about to buy more lottery tickets )

FROM NCL SITE-- EXCURSION BOOKING ..

Virgin Gorda Baths And Snorkel Approximate Duration: 4 hours

Cruise to The Baths and swim in the crystal-clear waters of the Caribbean. Snorkel and discover the abundant marine life, relax on the beautiful white-sand beach or just rest on the large sun deck of the boat. Listen to Caribbean music and enjoy some rum or fruit punch on the way back to the shore. Note: Wear your bathing suit and bring a towel. Participants must be able to swim 50-100 yards from the boat to the beach as the boat does not pull up to land at Virgin Gorda. The walk over to The Baths is over uneven terrain and through small spaces.

that swimming from the boat part freaked me out, and I am not unfit...

If you aren't comfortable doing the 50-100 yard swim, NCL offers the Virigin Gorda Highlights which takes you to the same beach/caves. From the ferry you take a "taxi" to the top of the Baths and follow the trail to the beach/cave.

I'm booked on the highlights tour. I was owrried about the swim too. I'm not a strongswimmer and have read some posts where they had a hard time with the currents.

I'm looking forward to the hike through the rock formations.

Archived