Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage

CruisingAlaska2007

We are anxiously awaiting our Alaskan cruise in June on the Carnival Spirit. However, once we debark in Whittier, we are going to need to get to Anchorage. We heard about the Alaskan Leopard but found out today that they are already booked for that date. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with transfers from Whittier to Anchorage? Thanks for all your input!

Kim

Gale,

That is certainly an option. Have you used them before? If so, what was your experience? We are trying to check out all of our options.

Kim

It's a 1 hour 15 min bus ride. Endless line of buses coming and going. Buy a ticket and get on. :)

BQ, does this mean there's no reason for us to arrange Whittier/Anchorage transportation ahead of time? :)

If you just want transportation, you can easily go with the cruise contracted buses. As already suggested- what are your plans after the transfer?? If needing to get to Anchorage for other touring, etc, then arrange what you need ahead.

There are several transfer options listings http://www.anchorage.net

Is there a timeframe you need to be at Anchorage?? Continued touring plans?? Need to get to the airport/downtown??

Budget Queen,

We are fairly open that day. We have plans later that evening. Since we have never been to Alaska, we want to make every moment as meaningful as possible. I'm taking it that there will be opportunities for transportation once we get to the port with no need for prior arrangements if we have no absolutes on time constraints?

Kim

Budget Queen,

We are fairly open that day. We have plans later that evening. Since we have never been to Alaska, we want to make every moment as meaningful as possible. I'm taking it that there will be opportunities for transportation once we get to the port with no need for prior arrangements if we have no absolutes on time constraints?

Kim

No, you must make your arrangements in advance with the cruise line or independent. You will not be able to easily arrange transportation to Anchorage by walking off your ship in Whittier. but you can wait until you are on the ship to book the cruise contracted bus.

I suggest you figure out what you want to do, then match it up with transportation and timing. Meaningful- is unique to you. As a suggestion- an excellent option is a whittier boat tour then the train to Anchorage which arrives aroun 8pm. Renting a car is the best way to enjoy the Arm, and maybe Hope, Cooper Landing etc. Making an excellent day trip. The high rental cost is insignificant in what you can get out of the time if short on it, in my opinion.

My DH and I are going on the Carnival Spirit in May. We are using the cruise ship's transportation to Anchorage. It is a bus, my travel agent said it takes a couple of hours and depends on the time frame, may stop along the way for photos. I don't know the price because we booked our flight and transfers through the ship so it was all added in. I usually book the flight myself but since we were going into one port and leaving out of another port, I just let the cruise line handle my flight and tranfers to and from the ship.

My DH and I are going on the Carnival Spirit in May. We are using the cruise ship's transportation to Anchorage. It is a bus, my travel agent said it takes a couple of hours and depends on the time frame, may stop along the way for photos. I don't know the price because we booked our flight and transfers through the ship so it was all added in. I usually book the flight myself but since we were going into one port and leaving out of another port, I just let the cruise line handle my flight and tranfers to and from the ship.

No, you must make your arrangements in advance with the cruise line or independent. You will not be able to easily arrange transportation to Anchorage by walking off your ship in Whittier. but you can wait until you are on the ship to book the cruise contracted bus.

I suggest you figure out what you want to do, then match it up with transportation and timing. Meaningful- is unique to you. As a suggestion- an excellent option is a whittier boat tour then the train to Anchorage which arrives aroun 8pm. Renting a car is the best way to enjoy the Arm, and maybe Hope, Cooper Landing etc. Making an excellent day trip. The high rental cost is insignificant in what you can get out of the time if short on it, in my opinion.

Budget Queen,

Thanks! That really helps. I think we have something to work with. I certainly don't want to get there and be stranded!!!! I appreciate all your insight.

Kim

I haven't used the Carnival trasportation as our only previous cruise to Alaska was with Princess. Their transfer worked just fine--took us to the airport. As we were not flying out that day, we then had hotel-provided transportation to our hotel.

Gale

Archived