Freestyle Dining

Rafter

I know that NCL offers the freestyle dining, but is it possible to set a standard reservation (time & table) for every night? I am looking into possibly taking the Dawn out of NYC, for a anniversary cruise for my parents - and there would be 8 of us from throughout varies states.

Thanks

I have been on the Dawn with a group. They will take group reservations for parties of 8 or more. But there are some things to realize:

1.) Even if you have the same table in the same restaurant every night, you will not have the same waiter every night. The waiters rotate between stations in the restaurant and even between restaurants from night to night. You can request the same waiter, but he/she may not have large enough tables on a given night.

2.) Group reservation times in the main dining rooms (Impressions, Venetian and Aqua) are only accepted at 5:30 p.m., 5:45 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. or after 8:30 p.m.. They will not accept a group reservation during the prime dining times of 6:15-8:15 so as not to tie up a table.

3.) You can make a reservation for any time in the specialty restaurants and they do have tables for 8.

Hope this helps.

Ok, now I'm really not this stupid, but on the subject of the specialty restaurants I understand that you have to make your reservations as soon as getting on the ship as possible.

The thing that I'm confused about is the price. I've read on the boards and NCL about the cover charges for these specialty restaurants.

So if you make a reservation at one of these and say the cover charge is 15.00 to 25.00 is this Per Person or for two. Then does the charge cover the food you order or do you pay an additional charge for whatever you order from the menu.

I do realize that I would tip the waiter after the meal just as I would in any other restaurant on land.

Thanks,

Marcy

Ok, now I'm really not this stupid, but on the subject of the specialty restaurants I understand that you have to make your reservations as soon as getting on the ship as possible.

The thing that I'm confused about is the price. I've read on the boards and NCL about the cover charges for these specialty restaurants.

So if you make a reservation at one of these and say the cover charge is 15.00 to 25.00 is this Per Person or for two. Then does the charge cover the food you order or do you pay an additional charge for whatever you order from the menu.

I do realize that I would tip the waiter after the meal just as I would in any other restaurant on land.

Thanks,

Marcy

The cover charge at the specialty restaurants (when there is one) is per person, not per couple. Generally, the surcharge covers your entire meal (not including chargeable drinks). However, there are some entrees (e.g., Surf & Turf) that carry an additional surcharge on top of the base charge. So, instead of $15, for instance, the total cost might be $20. (Don't quote me on the numbers.)

Thanks,

Marcy

The system just put into place is that you can only make reservations up to 24 hours in advance. This a great change, so you no longer have to rush to make your reservations for the entire cruise.

Specialty restuarant charges are per person. They cover the entire meal cost. There is no additional charge (unless you order wine or another specialty drink). Some of the specialty restuarants, Cagney's for instance, do have some "premium" items that require a small additiona charge.

Thanks,

Marcy

NCL changed its policy and therfore will only let you make reservations 24 hours in advance. That way, cruisers don't get blocked. Great change from NCL. We were so pleased with this because it took the pressure off of trying to figure out where we wanted to eat so many days in advance.

Some of the speciality restaurants are only $10. We loved the Japanese restaurant most of all, and it was only $10pp (not the room with the chef cooking at the table). The fees include all the food and tips, unless there are special foods (like lobster) where the extra fee is indicated. However, we tip $5 extra if the service and food is exceptional, which it was at the Japanese restaurant. Impressions is one of our favorites too, and that doesn't have a cover charge and no reservations necessary.

All the menus for specialty dining are on the tv screen in your cabin.

Is this new policy fleet wide? Leaving Saturday on the Spirit and would like to know. Sure would make it easlier then having to decide what day you want to go to a specialty restaurant. I remember cruising the Dawn Sept. 2005 and they had the 24 hour policy then, or at least trying to enforce it. Any other fleet wide changes,let me know...............

Archived