Ocho Rios - Off ship activities

ChiBearsSuperFan

• 2 weeks later...

HI-Are you looking for excitement or relaxation?? We went to Sunset Jamaica Grande and had a great time. We would go again. It was $45-for adults. Use of the pools, hot tubs, beach, all you can drink (very strong) and a wonderful buffet with great jerk chicken etc..it was beautiful. You can see it from the ship and was only a cab ride away.

MarineroftheSeasvacationDec3rd20060.jpg

There is shopping close by (walking distance) as well as a Margaritaville Bar and Restaurant. Here is a website that gives more information on the port.

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/OchoRiosJamaica.htm

From what I understand it isn't too safe to venture out on your own any further and the Ocean Island Shopping area (where Margaritaville is).

Do not be afraid!!! Many people give this port a bad name!!! Just be prepare to say no if someone ask's you if you want to buy somthing you don't want!!! Don't be afraid to be persistant...they won't bother you!!! I love this port and the spirit of the poeple...they are just trying to make a living.

Go to the open air market (walking distance from the ship) check out the shops and talk to the locals, then go to Dunns river falls( a short cab ride) and climb the falls (do not hold hands like they say...just go up on your own...very fun!!) then back to maguaritaville and have fun!! this is one of our favorite ports!!

We have been ther many tiime with our children and without and have had a great time....:p

Grab a cab to Dunn's River Falls. It is something like 5 minutes from the port and I think the cost is something like $10 or $15pp. Do this in the morning and then head over to Margarittaville for lunch and the afternoon. Its a great load of fun. Just make sure you watch the time and get back to the ship.

If you want to do River Tubing, the cost is slightly more and is slightly further away and I think you have to sign up for an excursion for this. Its fun but hopping in the water at 9am its quite chilly. Margarittaville helped warm us up afterwards.

Joe

Just use common sense in the port area; as someone said "these folks are just trying to make a living" :eek: We saw plenty of activity right in the port of people selling the "local green plant", presumably to cruisers who wanted to get in the Jamaican spirit for the day. (Children around 14 holding Marlboro packs in plain view who are not smoking is a 'sign'). You'll just want to avoid them and give a No, thanks as you walk by. I travel with my daughter and we've never had any BIG problem with peddlars of goods or drugs, but I went to college in NYC so I can spot trouble a mile away. Biggest peddlar problem was in the Market in Labadee, Haiti with Royal Carribean where I had to tell a vendor to take his hand off my child's arm.

Be safe & enjoy Ocho Rios. We'll be there in a couple of weeks.

A co-worker said they hired a driver that took them on a tour of the villiages to Negril Beach from Ocho Rios port. Has anyone done this? I e-mailed one tour group and they told me it was too far to go and be back to the ship on time. :eek: Any info would be appreciated!;)

we used peat taylor, he will give you a lot of tour for the money. he will take you to fern gully a school house dunn river falls .you can even go horseback riding. i don't remember the cost but it was under $50pp.look him up.you can pre book he will pick you up at the ship and you pay him when tour is done.he's a christian.his son is helping him now.

If you want to see pics of river tubing just go to the link below and then click on Caribbean Princess 2005 and then Ocho Rios. It was fun but the water at the start at 8:30am was cold. All in all it was lots of fun.

Joe

Archived