Verizon Cell Phones in Caribbean

Funcouple

Going on the Century next week. Will my Verizon Cell Phone work in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman? I know about the international setting on my cell, I just need to know if they work in these two areas. If they do work in these areas then how are the shocking are the costs when I get my Verizon bill 30 days later? Thanks.

Going on the Century next week. Will my Verizon Cell Phone work in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman? I know about the international setting on my cell, I just need to know if they work in these two areas. If they do work in these areas then how are the shocking are the costs when I get my Verizon bill 30 days later? Thanks.

Hi Funcouple !

I can tell you Verizon works in Jamaica (I am not sure about Grand Cayman), but it can be quite expensive. I believe the roaming charges are in the $1.50-2.00 per minute range.

We had a medical emergency with my Mom on our Century sailing, and were stuck in Jamaica for a few days. I had no idea the charges would be that expensive.... but when a loved one has a serious injury, you never worry about things like that. However, I do have the 400.00 Verizon bill to prove it !

My advice ? if you must use your cell phone, be very careful of how much time you spend on it.

Unless you have a Verizon GSM phone (you probably don't, it's on special request) you will only have roaming in a few very specific countries outside of the US and Canada. Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean (incl Celebrity) ships that are cellular equipped.

Bermuda

Brazil

British Virgin Islands

Canada

China (People's Republic)

China (Republic of, Taiwan)

Diego Garcia

Dominican Republic

Guam

India

Israel

Jamaica

Macau

Mexico

Netherland Antilles (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao and Sint Maarteen)

New Zealand

Northern Mariana Islands (Rota, Saipan and Tinian)

Peru

Puerto Rico

South Korea

Thailand

US Virgin Islands

Venezuela

The rest of the world, excluding Japan are using GSM. There are 4 bands of GSM in common usage, except Japan that uses a newed GSM band. World equipped phones can use all four bands, though some must be manually switched (Motorola, for example.)

Archived