Info on Ireland

crewsin250

We will be making two stops in Ireland during our cruise in May 2007. They are Dublin and Belfast any info on these 2 ports would be greatly appreciated. Best sites to see, best way to get from port to downtown, prices on both these items.

Thanks Paul

I suggest taxi to Dublin city centre (not far from Dublin port, a little further if you come into Dun Laoghaire).

Easily the best way to see Dublin is on the hop on/off bus. Takes you to all the sights, easy to use. We prefer the green and cream ones (there are two bus operators in the city); excellent commentary by the driver, usually very amusing and informative. It will give you a real taste of Dublin and has stops at Grafton Street (main shopping street), O'Connell Street (historic main post office, more shops), Trinity, Guinness Factory, castle, zoo and many more.

Only been to Belfast once, but it's beautiful. Others will be able to help you more, but check out the Tesco's in the city centre(:)); it's housed in the most beautiful old building.

Don't forget lightweight raincoat and umbrella; it's not called the Emerald Isle for nothing.

Enjoy these beautiful cities, Mary.

Hi Paul - I think you might well be on the Golden Princess when she visits Belfast this year. (I haven't got a list of all this years cruise ship visits yet) Here is a picture I took of her docked last summer -

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=407197

If you look at the 'Britain' forum you will see a lot of suggestions from previous visitors to Belfast and reports about the tours they took -

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=75917&highlight=belfast

I would definitely say a trip up the Antrim Coast Road, Giants Causeway and Bushmills Distillery is one of the best to take. Alternatively, there shorter tours round the Ards Peninsula but not as spectacular. If you are planning on staying in Belfast, the Tesco store Norfolk Brit is referring to is a former bank. Another one, the Ulster Bank, in nearby Waring Street has recently opened as a hotel. And the Crown Bar, a National Trust property in Great Victoria Street is also popular - it has a webcam

http://www.crownbar.com/

Hope my links work!

ex-Freeporter in a wet and windy Belfast

Island of Ireland

Norfolk Brit if there is a port futher away this is the one we will be going to the more research I do this seems to be the case at every port. Do you have any idea how much a cab ride would cost into the Centre of Dublin.

Ex-freeporter we will be on the Celebrity Century, How many ports are there in Belfast so I can figure out which one is the farthest away this is where we will be docking. What will be the best way to get from port to Centre of Belfast.

Again Thanks

Paul

Norfolk Brit if there is a port futher away this is the one we will be going to the more research I do this seems to be the case at every port. Do you have any idea how much a cab ride would cost into the Centre of Dublin.

Again Thanks

Paul

Sorry Paul, can't give you too much more help as I have only ever gone into the two ports on the ferry from Wales. If you are docking at Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Dun Leery), from memory it is about 5 miles from Dublin city centre; taxi would not cost much, but can't remember exact amount.

Others should be able to give you more assistance, but you need to remember you need euros in Southern Ireland (aka Eire/Republic of Ireland) and sterling in Belfast (Northern Ireland).

Regards, Mary

Paul -

The 'Celebrity' is scheduled to dock at Stormont Wharf according to the port schedule which is 5 mins by taxi to the city centre. Here is the Port's website which is full of information. If you look under Marine - Services overview - you will get an aerial shot of the harbour area.

http://www.belfast-harbour.co.uk/commercial-cruise.htm

There is also a link to this site which covers everything from tours, tips for tourists, etc.

http://www.cruise-belfast.co.uk/dsp_home.cfm

Here is the official Belfast tourism website -

http://www.gotobelfast.com/

Under 'Capture Belfast' you will find a webcam. Takes some getting used to operating it, but when you get 'control' you will be able to change different views around the harbour area. The 'Nomadic' was a tender ship for the 'Titanic' and has recently been brought back to Belfast for restoration and will eventually become a tourist attraction. (bear it mind our time difference, you will need to view in daylight hours!)

Hope this is of help!

Rosie

Hi,

I have visited these two ports several times, the last being in August. Belfast offered a free shuttle into town and there are several close souvenir shops in this area. The place to visit will be Giant's Causeway. Just the drive alone is incredible scenery.

In Dublin, Princess had a shuttle into town and many took the hop on/hop off bus. The shuttle took us to Trinity College and we went into the library on our own. It was nice to do research on our Irish heritage and have it printed and prepared for framing. Many gift shops across the street from Trinity College on Grafton.

• 3 weeks later...

On the transatlantic Star Princess cruise, the City provided free bus shuttle service from the dock to town, in front of the Belfast Tourist Information center. We took a free guided tour of City Hall (hubby wanted a picture of himself seated in the Sinn Fein section of the Council chambers) and walked all over using the map we had brought along. Belfast is a clean and very walkable City with lots of shopping for the locals (i.e. not many stores carrying souvineers). Several shipmates had taken the "Hop On, Hop Off" Bus Tours and recommended it highly.

• 1 month later...

Suggest you get the DK travel guide (or one of its competitors). We found them very helpful with pictures / descriptions / maps. We pick them up for any country / city we will be visiting. Great to have the guide with us to know where you are and what is around the corner or over on the next block, so we don't miss it.

I would definitely say a trip up the Antrim Coast Road, Giants Causeway and Bushmills Distillery is one of the best to take.

I completely agree! We took this tour a few years back -- one of the highlights of our trip to Ireland. If you go to Bushmills, definitely volunteer for the whiskey tasting -- my "Official Whiskey Taster" certificate is proudly framed on my wall :D

TXtraveler - Interested in checking on Irish heritage at Trinity College. Any helpful information on how to go about this? I have the family names from Cork Area.Our cruise is also taking us to Cork but am not sure where to go for information.

Archived