Just Back from Jewel 2/11/07 Cruise--Big Change on Restaurant Reservations

new2crus

I just returned from the Jewel today and you can no longer make restaurant reservations for the whole cruise on the first day. They would only take reservations 48-hours in advance (i.e. on Sunday you can make reservations for Sunday and Monday only, on Monday--for Monday and Tuesday only, etc.) Don't know if this is true for other NCL ships but the Jewel was very strick on this. Don't know if having a concierge made any difference as I as in a regular balcony cabin. This was my first NCL cruise and I'll write a review when I get some time.

I wonder if it will be the same for the POH. I kind of hope so because it may make things a little easier. That way I don't have to worry about not getting what I want on the first day.

Of course, now you might not get what you want on the 3rd day! ;)

-Monte

I just returned from the Jewel today and you can no longer make restaurant reservations for the whole cruise on the first day. They would only take reservations 48-hours in advance (i.e. on Sunday you can make reservations for Sunday and Monday only, on Monday--for Monday and Tuesday only, etc.) Don't know if this is true for other NCL ships but the Jewel was very strick on this. Don't know if having a concierge made any difference as I as in a regular balcony cabin. This was my first NCL cruise and I'll write a review when I get some time.

This was the way is was heretofore.

Perhaps NCL received too many complaints about the new system.

Good to know that they do listen:)

Just off the Pearl Feb 11th and it was the same. You can call the reservation system once on board from your stateroom, but only 24 hours in advance.

If you have conceirge service, they will most likely be able to take care of your advance reservations. They did for us. There were only 45 cabins on the Pearl who got conceirge service.

To a question I asked, today I received an email from NCL's Customer Service confirming this --- i.e., you can make reservations only one day in advance for the specialty restaurants.

This will be fleet wide and affect all itineraries.

This is very good, and I congratulated NCL on their decision. This gives everyone a chance (even those late to embark) and really puts back the meaning into "freestyle cruising / freestyle dining".

AGAIN, GOOD JOB NCL....................

I had to call at 8:00 each morning to make reservations for the next evening. It usually took between 10 and 15 minutes of calling over and over again until I could get through to make the reservation. Of course everyone else on the ship is calling at that time also. If you didn't call right at 8:00 each morning, you couldn't get a reservation later, because they were all booked up. FYI

I had to call at 8:00 each morning to make reservations for the next evening. It usually took between 10 and 15 minutes of calling over and over again until I could get through to make the reservation. Of course everyone else on the ship is calling at that time also. If you didn't call right at 8:00 each morning, you couldn't get a reservation later, because many of the popular restaurants were booked up. FYI

I personally would rather book my dinner reservations once for the entire week than hassle with it every morning at 8am. It will work out fine for me though, I have young kids, we are up everyday long before 8am. Too bad for the cruisers that like to sleep in on their vacations. I guess they have to make the choice, specialty dining or sleeping in......

OK, so here's my question. Do you HAVE to call to make the reservations? Or, can you go wait at Tangos or book thru the TV somewhere. I would rather stand in line at 8am everyday than dial and re-dial and re-dial to talk to someone live.

Also, I can't understand is it the AF's and above that can use the concierge to make these reservations? I know in the past the conceirges don't like to bother with the lowely's AF's but maybe they will with this system? Do you know? Thanks.

FormulaRacer,

I'd be interested in which categories the 45 cabins were. I counted 46 AE's and above, so are you saying the AF's and AG's don't have concierge service? I'm leaving on the Pearl in five weeks, and am just curious.;)

All the AF's and AG's - minisuites - have concierge available.

The difference is for the top 46 suites, the concierge will have a more active relationship with you in every way.

If you're in a mini, you'll probably have to initiate contact. But the concierge can certainly help you out with your dinner reservations.

Even if you love making all your reservations for the entire cruise on day 1, you have to admit this is a lot more fair. And puts freestyle squarely back where it should be. After all having to lock yourself in for the whole week or face getting blocked out was not the greatest choice.

The staff on the Pearl said they listened to all the unhappy passengers who were getting closed out.

I had concierge privileges yet called the number a couple of times. It was picked up immediately, no wait at all and I didn't call at 8 am.

We had a huge CC group and in general people seemed pretty satisfied with the new system.

Archived